• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

uo on mac... looking for tips

G

Does anyone play UO on a mac? I am looking for others who do so that I can ask my million questions...

do you use vmware fusion? parallels? or just straight boot camp? what works best for you? thanks...

G

because I only have a mac.... and I want to play UO again.... so far, I am using vmware fusion but I have not really tested it out much.... I am wondering what others experiences are before I pay to keep the software once the free trial expires... I am also patching KR now.... about to find out if it'll work w/ this set-up or not

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I was just poking fun at you hehe. I'd personally love to see a client for MACs and Linux variants.

G

Thanks for pulling my old thread.... but what I need now is a few more testimonials on actual experience w/ the Fusion product (or any other VM).... I really don't want to run boot camp but, if anyone does, please let me know who things are going w/ it (and w/ KR if it works w/ it)..... ty

S

SupaWooHoo

daaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnn....

THAT...is a sweet lookin rig!

still...i dunno and the doubt keeps me from paying the increased cost.

G

it isn't bad..... and UO seemed to run fine on 2d (I am about to find out about KR shortly; waiting on patch)....... the boot camp seems to be the best from what I here *but* you have to shut down your mac and restart in a windows OS.... w/ vmware fusion and parallels, you run a virtual pc w/ windows OS *while* your mac is also running...... I am hoping that it'll all work will w/ the virtual OS programs....... I like them better than having to switch.... *but* there is a big drawback that 3d grfx don't run to good on the virtual OS...... so it is not as dreamy as it appears; I am finding out firsthand

G

Tip one........ turn off the mac
Tip Two....... toss in bin
Tip three..... Buy a PC

M

Mastermind GOL

<blockquote><hr>

Tip three..... Buy a PC

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, be a jerk why dont ya?

G

well, it's okay for him to be a jerk.... it is no big deal to me

S

Segundo

<blockquote><hr>

Tip three..... Buy a PC

[/ QUOTE ]WoW...UO has a low population as it is and this is how you treat a possible returning player. Unbelievable!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

I was just poking fun at you hehe. I'd personally love to see a client for MACs and Linux variants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the 2D client installed and can run it with my Ubuntu install on my other HDD using WINE.

G

<blockquote><hr>

WoW works perfect on a mac

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW is to MMO's as Bud is to beer. It sucks but lots of people drink it.

T

The_Black_Cat

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Tip three..... Buy a PC

[/ QUOTE ]WoW...UO has a low population as it is and this is how you treat a possible returning player. Unbelievable!

[/ QUOTE ]

They're afraid of change. Don't worry, they'll adapt.

Serious note:

Livity, which Mac are you running out of curiosity (config/memory)? I'm thinking of buying one soon but I'd like to able to keep playing 2D. KR would just be an added bonus.

G

I am on a macbook...... 2d can be done w/ vmware fusion (which I like) but there are a few issues w/ controls (like directing movement w/ the trackpad which I used to do on my sony pc laptop but which I cannot do on my macbook). It seems to run fine but I have not put it through the fire, meaning, high spawn areas/ mass player gatherings... it seems only a few control functions are different..... I am testing the free trials on the emulator softwares of vmware fusion and parallels but I just don't like them all too much... I think me and UO might not be making a reunion....... one more thing, UOAssist seems to work fine except that some commands make the windows collapse.... and KR just would not work at all for me

G

I am bringing this thread back from the dead to ask for assistance on character movement while running UO on a mac (I am posting on UHall rather than the tech forum in the hopes that the wider audience might give the chances of getting an answer a boost; I have also renamed the thread to reflect the new, narrower question).

One problem I could never get around is having my avatar movement follow the mouse pointer. Through UOA, this is possible, but I have not got it to work while using Crossover, Fusion or Boot Camp to run UO on a mac. I am hoping somebody out there might have a way around this.... just getting my avatar to move by following the cursor rather than having to use the directional keys would go a long way for me.

I am playing on a Macbook and my preference is for Crossover. Thanks and best wishes to anyone who can help.

G

Tip three..... Buy a PC

Win.

Unless they have one of the Mac cinema widescreen LCD displays... they can keep that.

I

imported_Sarphus

my tip is... "Don't"

It's not that you can't. It's that UO was built for PC, so you're probably better off playing it in its native and supported environment.

IMO, if you run a game in its non-native environment, you have no right to complain about ANY bugs... even those that effect the game in it's native OS.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Tip three..... Buy a PC

Win.

Unless they have one of the Mac cinema widescreen LCD displays... they can keep that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah; one more thing. Let's try to keep the thread on track... your windows-hugging posts are not exactly welcome and certainly aren't constructive to the task at hand. Thanks.

G

Hey, at least I give props to their monitors. I'd probably have one if I didn't need to take out a home equity loan to buy one.

Seriously though, I DO like the Mac LCD monitors... not much on the systems as a gaming rig though... sorry.

TheflY of LS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Although it's not specifically related to your Mac issue and UO, I was able to run UO and UOAssist perfectly fine on a Ubuntu Linux install within an XP Home virtual machine using VMWare Server when I still played. It was my experience that it really didn't slow down performance to a noticeable level, and everything I've tried to do with VMWare and the XP install up to this point has worked flawlessly, including when I played UO. It is a really solid product. It sucks that you have to pay for it for the Mac, but I guess that's the way things work. If VMWare Fusion is anywhere near as stable as the Server platform, I would gladly pay for it, but without having firsthand knowledge of the Fusion product, I wouldn't want to recommend it without giving it a trial run myself. Hope that helps make your decision at least a little easier, and good luck.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Tip three..... Buy a PC

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, be a jerk why dont ya?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. He wasn't being a jerk. It was funny. Has no one a sense of humor anymore?

A

Al Thorin

Nice choice of wording, Windows.
Only thing different between Macs and PC's.. er.
Nevermind, Macs are now PC's.

Apple makes -cool- products, they're very good in that deparment, but they failed miserably by being too proprietary (tech wise). Now they just rehash other peoples tech, and are -still- gungho on proprietary.

Sorry, but I hate Apple. Maybe if they'd stop acting like Macs are a different tech. Different OS, that's it.

Anyways, now that I've vented that garbage;

I would suspect you are -best- off with bootcamp, Apples fancy name for booting AS a windows PC (Pc's have had multiple boot partition software for a LONG time). There's only one OS running, Windows in it's native environment.

The VM's are running windows through a virtual environment, plus you have the overhead of the MacOS and anything else running.

I know why you'd rather use a VM, rebooting into a new OS sucks, especially if you prefer your standard OS.

I can't give you any feedback into the particular VM's, but I can say that booting up windows -will- be your best bet for stability and performance.