• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO - NLS Newsletter #1

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I’m really looking forward to the new shard. A lot of people seem to have a hard time perceiving an experience different from what UO has been...where ownership of items is essentially the main focus. This new shard seems like it is going to be like an Ultima game that plays out in UO. Kind of a mix of mmorpg with rpg. Should be interesting.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another question on the new shard - I assume you won't be able to start with a mythic character with five 90 skills? If not, tough restart for tamers - course they did say something about maybe a new way of training skills?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Another question on the new shard - I assume you won't be able to start with a mythic character with five 90 skills? If not, tough restart for tamers - course they did say something about maybe a new way of training skills?
In the video they dodged this question, but stated that skill gaining will be more "intuitive", not as grindy, and presumably easier. So it will likely apply to tamers especially. No other info on this as of yet. This is a critical item, since the shard will blow up in 12 months supposedly.

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
They did say that.

I've been trying to think about how this would work and I think there could be a few approaches they could take.

First, they could simply give every new character a mythic token upon start no matter when they begin on New Legacy. Day 1 or Day 300 you set five skills up to 90 and that does a pretty good job of getting you to a point on par with everyone else. Especially if there are no powerscrolls/120 skills to bother with. With this approach what skills you pick and what you choose to do with your character after become the most important choices. If we're limited to one character SOMEONE is going to have to use their one slot to become a crafter or support. Not everyone would be able to play sampires.

Second, they could create a new quest/skill gain mechanic. Do the swords quest line get 10.0 each quest you finish, 10 quests total. This becomes a huge programming task, though, if we have to make quests lines for every skill or every profession. This kind of content would, however, lend itself to the strengths of this new system they keep talking up.

Finally, maybe there is no more skill gain like we think. Maybe we get to pick what class we want and our skills are automatically set accordingly. From there we have to team up or support others to complete objectives on the new shard.

All of this would be vastly different from how skill gain has worked in UO previously. Until there are more concrete details released all of this is just speculation, but I think it would be best if we understand that everything will be intentionally different.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Ideally you would be spending most of your time adventuring through the content and your skill level rises as you continue through the engagement. Etc. The skill level you need will be there when you get there...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
They did say that.

I've been trying to think about how this would work and I think there could be a few approaches they could take.

First, they could simply give every new character a mythic token upon start no matter when they begin on New Legacy. Day 1 or Day 300 you set five skills up to 90 and that does a pretty good job of getting you to a point on par with everyone else. Especially if there are no powerscrolls/120 skills to bother with. With this approach what skills you pick and what you choose to do with your character after become the most important choices. If we're limited to one character SOMEONE is going to have to use their one slot to become a crafter or support. Not everyone would be able to play sampires.

Second, they could create a new quest/skill gain mechanic. Do the swords quest line get 10.0 each quest you finish, 10 quests total. This becomes a huge programming task, though, if we have to make quests lines for every skill or every profession. This kind of content would, however, lend itself to the strengths of this new system they keep talking up.

Finally, maybe there is no more skill gain like we think. Maybe we get to pick what class we want and our skills are automatically set accordingly. From there we have to team up or support others to complete objectives on the new shard.

All of this would be vastly different from how skill gain has worked in UO previously. Until there are more concrete details released all of this is just speculation, but I think it would be best if we understand that everything will be intentionally different.
This.
Also according to what they said, it is still in the design phase, and they will add things gradually, including new skill gain mechanics, and how many characters we can have there. All this is still up in the air. I wonder if they have committed an actual server program for this also, vs beta, vs all up in the mind-planning phase etc. Anyways something different, and something to keep some of us playing for another year, and trying to bridge a gap in pvp vs non-pvp, rpg, also to test the waters for new ideas about painful and sore to talk about items in the "production" shards..

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Much like how the later Elder Scrolls games scale content automatically to your skill level I could see this new system taking a similar approach. "Go kill the Lich of the Serpent Spine Mountains!" is a tough fight for someone at 55% swords or 95% swords. But the point is you went out and killed the Lich and from then on out your fame has increased across the realm.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Much like how the later Elder Scrolls games scale content automatically to your skill level I could see this new system taking a similar approach. "Go kill the Lich of the Serpent Spine Mountains!" is a tough fight for someone at 55% swords or 95% swords. But the point is you went out and killed the Lich and from then on out your fame has increased across the realm.
Interesting idea, I remember that from Elder Scrolls

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ideally you would be spending most of your time adventuring through the content and your skill level rises as you continue through the engagement. Etc. The skill level you need will be there when you get there...
What a concept! No more hours spend on mindless repetition and macroing! I hope they figure this out

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm still not a fan of it being wiped, but with them saying it's returning to the RPG roots, maybe we can get actual quests and choices within them.

I know the game technically has quests as is but they're pretty barebones.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I'm still not a fan of it being wiped, but with them saying it's returning to the RPG roots, maybe we can get actual quests and choices within them.

I know the game technically has quests as is but they're pretty barebones.
I can see how that is a challenge for a lot of people we have spent 23+ years collecting odds and ends. I think of it like playing let's say Ultima 4. You go through the whole experience but really carry nothing but your experience forward to Ultima 5.

Viewing the new shard as an adventure to experience with the benefit of carrying an account bound title or item to remind me of the fun is where I went in my mind currently. We have a year as they build out the development so who knows how it will end up being. I am content for now.

*Winks, and tips his hat towards the tavern keeper on his way out*

Reactions: dvv

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was hoping for progressive dungeons. Start at the 0 skill one. When you finish you can put X number of skill points where you want in the type skills used in the dungeon.
When you finish you move to the next skill level dungeon. And players with low skills can not be taken to higher dungeons by others.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was hoping more of a permanent '' shard of the dead'' concept like they did few times, a kind of monthly wiped shard with prizes at the end, able to transfer them, with faster skill gains increase , but this new legacy shard has some potential also , keep sending the ideas !!

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I went there and played with the dye tubs for pets. I remember a lot of players having fun.