• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #9

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not much of value in here. Basically confirms once again that the only thing they're really working on is New Legacy which seems like a waste if it's getting wiped every few months.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Coming in June - Treasures of Wildfire - Battle monsters deeps inside the Fire Dungeon to collect artifacts! Trade those artifacts for powerful rewards and unique oddities!

It better f-ing being active in fel from the start of the event until the end this time on ALL shards.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I knew it would be fire. Yay me.

I did leave a few mage and flame slayer talis on Atlantic. So buy em now if you did not collect them in heartwood.
Not much of value in here. Basically confirms once again that the only thing they're really working on is New Legacy which seems like a waste if it's getting wiped every few months.
You funny they put nothing in the NL section. They skipped directly to live then mentioned NL in passing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It better f-ing being active in fel from the start of the event until the end this time on ALL shards.
But the pkers will complain because they will not be able to freely go in the sparkles to the other dungeons through the sparkles. They can only kill solo tamers.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now that we know. Mark your runes in fire dungeon now.

What do you think the toughest paragon will be?

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it is active in Fel will we be able to gather drops in the champ spawn area (kill 2 birds with one stone as it were)?

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
I thought they said once a year, where dod you get every few months or are you just spewing hate.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's why they did not open Deceit on all the shards.
Risk vs reward. I say have it in Fel on all shards. It helps revitalze pvp as well and no one is forced to do it Fel side. Plus with items being shard bound, no one can say that people will just farm dead shards to sell on Atlantic.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought they said once a year, where dod you get every few months or are you just spewing hate.
I couldn't remember and just went off how most games handle seasonal content. Most games do 3 months max.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I couldn't remember and just went off how most games handle seasonal content. Most games do 3 months max.
And thats where most players are in those games. 1yr is too long.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they going to delete brit bank decore then they might as well delete all old seer event decore, old quest decore, em left decore, any and all decore even the houses that don't have owners, burning houses all that stuff.

Forgot to add town banners and history banners along with grave markers.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As long as the moongates stay in britain, i could care less about the deco!!

Reactions: Gem

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now that we know. Mark your runes in fire dungeon now.

What do you think the toughest paragon will be?
Fighting multiple Paragons in Fire is going to be very risky, considering plenty of spawn inside Fire dungeon have Dragon Breath ability. 60 Damage Dragon Breaths are pretty common from Paragons, getting hit by multiple of them in short order is deadly. Paragon Fire Steeds will likely be the deadliest. Paragon Lich Lords are a possibility as well.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Just make banking from home a thing and nobody will ever see or complain about Britain again ....

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
NL is going to be like a Ultima game using UO assets basically. Not the usual server that exists perpetually. We don’t really need another one of those anyway considering the “dead shards”.

They are trying a new idea and new code, which should be interesting. I think people in this game have become too attached to owning items over having an experience.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fighting multiple Paragons in Fire is going to be very risky, considering plenty of spawn inside Fire dungeon have Dragon Breath ability. 60 Damage Dragon Breaths are pretty common from Paragons, getting hit by multiple of them in short order is deadly. Paragon Fire Steeds will likely be the deadliest. Paragon Lich Lords are a possibility as well.
Based on the thread on the official forum, it seemed 50/50.
I'd say on the official forum you had 3-4 trolls saying to trash it all (trolls gonna troll) but majority of everything I read was "leave it" and not even close to 50/50. Again would love to know the logic behind doing MORE work to remove everything instead of just leaving everything as is and telling everyone else to kick rocks when it comes to updating Britain bank with a moongate. Aside from the obvious power trip.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'd say on the official forum you had 3-4 trolls saying to trash it all (trolls gonna troll) but majority of everything I read was "leave it" and not even close to 50/50. Again would love to know the logic behind doing MORE work to remove everything instead of just leaving everything as is and telling everyone else to kick rocks when it comes to updating Britain bank with a moongate. Aside from the obvious power trip.
You are correct. Here's the evidence.

There were 2 threads that I saw dedicated to the Brit bank change.

Thread one:

Thread two (mine, the one that got derailed by a troll or two):

It's difficult to say 50/50 based on these two threads. The opinions were pretty overwhelmingly in some combination of "keep" and "keep because no reason not to." The posters who want to remove the decorations post a lot.

When they locked my thread the best they could say is this:

[[Forum posts are not an accurate measure of the feeling on this topic. Only those who feel strongly will post, unless attempting to bait a troll.]]

Technically, moderators, that is probably true. Probably. Therefore, there might be a flurry of E-Mails on the issue and those might be 50/50.

However, assuming it is, based on the available evidence the players who want to remove the deco are pretty clearly the more intense of the bunch. Accordingly, isn't it all-the-more-likely that any majority but non-intense opinion is on the "keep" side than the "take a few hours and delete something we already have" side?

*shrugs*

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Instead of 50 / 50 maybe she should say "a mixed reaction" and leave it at that.

Reactions: dvv

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember, also, that the reason that this is even an issue, was that at one point, EMs were involved in the decorations (implementing them - the actual designs were submitted by players).

Take a look at Lake Austin's bare bones WBB deco. It was one of the earliest approved, though it took longer than some others to implement. Lake Austin's followed all the rules as they were originally implemented, and even then we didn't get exactly what we wanted (the teleporter to ground was supposed to be UNDER the sparkles, but got moved to the north end (and hidden by grass most of the time) within a week or two for no known reason).

On the other hand, go look at some of the higher population shards. After LA submitted their design, there was still a dearth of submissions for many of the other shards. So, the design rules were loosened up (and LA's design winner was NOT given the option to add more that would fit into the expanded options - trust me - we asked and asked, for several years).

Lastly, EM's added PERMANENT items that the players were not allowed to include in the submitted designs (some, if not all, of the WBB moongates, for example). Eventually, after some further abuses of power, EM powers got reduced, but a lot of the non-event-item things done by the overreaching EMs remained - even as Mesanna and others cleaned up beloved event areas on some shards, and leaving useless event clutter elsewhere (on LA, an event village from several years of play got wiped away, Mesanna claiming the area was reserved for a future global event (that still has not occurred 3-4 years later), while clue tiles and items from throw-away one-shot events and long-resolved global ones remain after a decade or more - have they ever cleaned up the roads outside Skara of the dead horses, or the clutter on the road south of Minoc?).

This is why some shards have outgoing moongates from the WBB area, and others do not. And, I'm afraid I might have helped make this worse, by listening to my Britain citizens on LA (I'm governor - the longest tenured governor on the shard) and asking Mesanna for a WBB moongate like other shards have at several Q&A sessions over the last five years. Apparently she got aggravated by the repeated request, as the moongates were one of the things that got added to the designs that were NOT part of the original design contest rules, and decided that no one needed a WBB decorated, even though the whole point of the deco contests was to try to lure people back to using WBB regularly instead of Luna - and the one shard that didn't need it (Atlantic) got some of the bigger abuses of the competition.

Reactions: dvv

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Mesanna built each bank to the design submitted which is part of why it took so long for them to all be completed. I stopped to chat with her at several of the builds over that time period. Never did catch an unlocked piece she left on the ground or had not secured yet :)

*Tips hat and continues down the trail*

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree--just keep the moongates in Brit by the bank--and be sure to add them on the shards that don't have them :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im ready for the Steeds:
1622247283849.png

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im ready for the Steeds:
View attachment 119776
That'll protect from their melee, but not their Dragon Breath. Spells (and spell-like effects) still deal full damage through Protection Talismans. Hence why Lich variants are still dangerous even with a Protection Talisman on.

This here is my best Tali for Treasures of Wildfire so far. Wish they had other ways to get Talismans other than just ML Quests or Peerlesses. If i remember correctly, they did at least change it to where Luck affects the loot found in ML Quest Rewards, such as Strong Boxes (which are still a pain to farm).
Flame Slayer Tali.PNG

Be kind of funny if they added Phoenix as part of the spawn, since they thematically fit. Especially considering the Phoenix is no longer vulnerable to either Flame Slayer nor Bird Slayer since they changed the graphic from Red Eagle to Fluorescent Orange Peacock.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Be kind of funny if they added Phoenix as part of the spawn, since they thematically fit. Especially considering the Phoenix is no longer vulnerable to either Flame Slayer nor Bird Slayer since they changed the graphic from Red Eagle to Fluorescent Orange Peacock.
Would be funny until there is a paragon phoenix that kills half the dungeon :eek:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would be funny until there is a paragon phoenix that kills half the dungeon :eek:
Brings back memories. The Phoenix used to be absolutely terrifying pre-AoS (even worse than the Balron or Ancient Wyrm). A single Phoenix could tear through an entire guild and all their pet Dragons back then. I should know. During T2A, my guild on Napa (Shadowstorm, S/S) had heard rumors that Phoenix could drop Phoenix Armor or be skinned for Phoenix Feathers that could be fletched into Explosive Arrows, so we decided to hunt one. Ripped apart our entire guild (which was one of the biggest guilds in UO at the time), multiple times. From then on, UO's Phoenix had the same reputation as the Beast of Caerbannog.

The Phoenix briefly regained it's terrifying reputation when they became tameable with the Pet Revamp, and people were using 300 DEX Dismount Phoenix to chase down speedhackers and bring them to ground. Was like watching Usain Bolt on crack. Then they capped pet speed at 190 DEX and gave the Phoenix it's Fluorescent Orange Peacock graphic because of it.

Nowadays, i can farm Phoenix all day long as i search for a high STR, high rated 3 slot one. My 120 Chiv+AI 100% Cold Platinum Drake can 3 shot a Phoenix, even without EoO.
They're still fast as hell though, with a very aggressive and effective spellcasting AI. Their speed combined with their ability to fly over terrain, and aggro onto you with their Fire Aura still makes them dangerous to Mage players. A Paragon Phoenix has ridiculous levels of speed.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That'll protect from their melee, but not their Dragon Breath. Spells (and spell-like effects) still deal full damage through Protection Talismans. Hence why Lich variants are still dangerous even with a Protection Talisman on.

This here is my best Tali for Treasures of Wildfire so far. Wish they had other ways to get Talismans other than just ML Quests or Peerlesses. If i remember correctly, they did at least change it to where Luck affects the loot found in ML Quest Rewards, such as Strong Boxes (which are still a pain to farm).

I am going to have my Bard follow my macer around.

Ill go from normal to with Invigorate and then add Toughness as needed.

1622521739409.png

I have been practicing at the spawn. The bard does not get hit often. I was afraid I would have to keep him from taking damage but that's not been an issue. He stays close enough for my warrior to bandage him when he does take damage or get poisoned. Ill use petals and apples for poison and curse removal.
Should be fun.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been experimenting with getting Talismans from ML quests with high Luck, and so far the best has been the quest chain from Dallid the Cook inside Sanctuary. Kill Moug-Guur (Ettin), turn in and receive a Bag of Treasure. Then kill Chiikkaha the Toothed (Ratman Mage), turn in and receive a Bag of Treasure. Kill Szavetra (Succubus), turn in and receive a Strongbox. No cooldown whatsoever on repeating this quest chain, and can be done quickly. Fastest way to spam Strongbox loot (which can contain Talismans).
I used to do the Minotaur chain for Strongboxes, but that takes quite a bit of gathering beforehand with the Fragment of a Map, Gaman Horns, and Minotaur Artifacts.

Only other way to get Talismans, is to kill ML Peerlesses. Good luck spamming that fast. Plus, you'd pretty much have to solo it to guarantee that your Luck is being counted for the loot (loot quality/quantity is rolled based on a random Top Contributor's Luck). You can have 4k+ Luck (100% chance of bumping loot), but the Archer or Sampire that's with you could have 0 Luck, and his Luck is the one that the loot rolls off of. It's why wearing a Luck Suit during a group fight can be a crap shoot, especially if you're the only one wearing a Luck Suit. I at least try to get people to use my 10th Anniversary Sculpture to bump Luck.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would stand by crafters that dropped bags on the ground in heartwood. I got hundreds of Talismans by taking them from their throw away pile. Also I always wait for peerless to go public. Find a lot of nice ones on those.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I kept all the ones that made creatures, that were owned by no one, that looked bugged.

1622525650321.png

A player on LS has a Vorpal Bunny summoner. It makes a hole and hops in when the timer is up. :)

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been experimenting with getting Talismans from ML quests with high Luck, and so far the best has been the quest chain from Dallid the Cook inside Sanctuary. Kill Moug-Guur (Ettin), turn in and receive a Bag of Treasure. Then kill Chiikkaha the Toothed (Ratman Mage), turn in and receive a Bag of Treasure. Kill Szavetra (Succubus), turn in and receive a Strongbox. No cooldown whatsoever on repeating this quest chain, and can be done quickly. Fastest way to spam Strongbox loot (which can contain Talismans).
I used to do the Minotaur chain for Strongboxes, but that takes quite a bit of gathering beforehand with the Fragment of a Map, Gaman Horns, and Minotaur Artifacts.

Only other way to get Talismans, is to kill ML Peerlesses. Good luck spamming that fast. Plus, you'd pretty much have to solo it to guarantee that your Luck is being counted for the loot (loot quality/quantity is rolled based on a random Top Contributor's Luck). You can have 4k+ Luck (100% chance of bumping loot), but the Archer or Sampire that's with you could have 0 Luck, and his Luck is the one that the loot rolls off of. It's why wearing a Luck Suit during a group fight can be a crap shoot, especially if you're the only one wearing a Luck Suit. I at least try to get people to use my 10th Anniversary Sculpture to bump Luck.
Try doing the great ape quest in eodon. He drops alot of higher end talismans and the quest is repeatable. I got 12, 30% talismans off of him with relative ease.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also I always wait for peerless to go public. Find a lot of nice ones on those.
The Pagan Titans that spawned during the Invasion also had Talismans as loot, and could drop some real high end ones.

A player on LS has a Vorpal Bunny summoner. It makes a hole and hops in when the timer is up. :)
I have a few of those. Also got some of Skeletal Knight Summoning, Ant Lion Summoning, and Bake Kitsune Summoning.

Has the luck factored into the Talisman you are getting or not really?
I think so. I usually have around 3,400+ Luck when turning in the quest. Not sure if Fel's +1k Luck bonus would help, since it doesn't actually display on your status bar. Sanctuary exists in Fel as well though.

Try doing the great ape quest in eodon. He drops alot of higher end talismans and the quest is repeatable. I got 12, 30% talismans off of him with relative ease.
Will definitely have to give that a try. Haven't actually done the Great Ape more than once or twice before.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great Ape definitely drops Talismans. He has an interesting loot pool. ML Ingredients and Talismans, as well as Gargoyle Gear and ToL gear. With a Luck Suit on, i've seen him drop Legendary Artifacts. He's weakest to Fire Damage, and deals 100% Physical Damage.
80 Phys Res pets with Consume Damage running on them can tank him no problem, they're virtually immune to his damage then. My Disco/Tamer was using a 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake to kill him, wasn't challenging, just took awhile. A Sampire running Honor+EoO can kill him much faster. 120 Disco+Corpse Skin+Onslaught with Double Strike spam from a 100% Fire Double Axe deals a lot of damage to him. The Great Ape respawns within a few minutes. Might be time to finally create a Luck Bone Armor Suit for my Sampire.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Everyone has much cooler stuff, and better characters, than I do.

Oh well. If I wanted to be the best of the best I guess I'd play a single-player game where one is usually the "big hero" by definition.