• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #51

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new edition of the Ultima Online Newsletter has been released you can read the newsletter via the Continue Reading link below.

Continue reading...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the time to have mentioned all those accounts being closed and the houses falling was in the last newsletter, BEFORE they actually fell down....these newsletters are way too much 'info-after-the-fact' and no real explanation is ever given for anything. Not sure I even believe people were banned for illegal program use since the producer admittedly uses an illegal program and refuses to say it is actually illegal. Another Newsletter full of nothing much at all. Still no big announcement, soon it will pass into the land of myths and legends...:rolleyes:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately a whole lot of nada from this newsletter besides another "soft launch" on a handful of shards; once again the items being shard bound makes them useless for people not playing those shards. :(

Interesting to see so many bans for macroing though

Lord Ron Fellows

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the time to have mentioned all those accounts being closed and the houses falling was in the last newsletter, BEFORE they actually fell down....these newsletters are way too much 'info-after-the-fact' and no real explanation is ever given for anything. Not sure I even believe people were banned for illegal program use since the producer admittedly uses an illegal program and refuses to say it is actually illegal. Another Newsletter full of nothing much at all. Still no big announcement, soon it will pass into the land of myths and legends...:rolleyes:
Which program? That's pretty funny.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It didn't state which programs, but then since they won't say which ones are now illegal, if any, I'm not sure how people would know not to use them. There used to be a list of legal programs, but despite being asked for an updated list for a couple of years they refuse to say anything.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since we have not been able to identify a valid reason why they do not generate profit,
we have decided to sacrifice part of the UO story.

See you in Britannia,
Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong
Producer and the woman who loves UO, but more money! :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Treasures of Deceit will be released on Lake Superior, Sakura, Oceania, and Europa.

Yay! Armor sets!

I don't even read the Actions section. Play the game instead of worrying about what others do.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the time to have mentioned all those accounts being closed and the houses falling was in the last newsletter, BEFORE they actually fell down
I mean, the owners were notified back in April, atleast thats when the people I know who had free accounts got emailed.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wasnt there a lifetime purchase in 97 or 98? Wonder if any were those.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Promathia that's fine for people who kept the same e-mail for years, many people have changed e-mail addresses a lot, I know I've had plenty over the last 15 years, my husband was in the Air Force so we moved many times, not everyone who had one of these houses will have known in advance. If this information had been made available to the community as a whole then maybe players could have petitioned for a few buildings that were important to their shard to be saved. Of course not telling anyone anything means they can save themselves some work. I can't imagine how upset some people will have been about the loss of historic buildings with no warning, I was pretty upset when they trashed Haven! :(

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It is unfortunate that historical and shard history houses were lost.

That said, it is entirely on the account owners that it happened. If someone had a comped account that wasn't supposed to be, they should have come forward and asked it to be fixed rather than parking important historical houses on them and walking away. The devs had every right --and responsibility-- to clean up those accounts, but the fact that the account holders had chosen to leave valuable housing on them is not the devs' fault.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is unfortunate that historical and shard history houses were lost.

That said, it is entirely on the account owners that it happened. If someone had a comped account that wasn't supposed to be, they should have come forward and asked it to be fixed rather than parking important historical houses on them and walking away. The devs had every right --and responsibility-- to clean up those accounts, but the fact that the account holders had chosen to leave valuable housing on them is not the devs' fault.
Here is the thing. When those accounts where given out (and I had several and 2 still are active btw) they were in fact guaranteed for life. Now in my case I can understand because I wasn't the original owner. Those who were the original owner have ever right to be angry.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is the thing. When those accounts where given out (and I had several and 2 still are active btw) they were in fact guaranteed for life. Now in my case I can understand because I wasn't the original owner. Those who were the original owner have ever right to be angry.
I always heard that they technically weren't free for "life" but had a pre-set amount of free time which sounded crazy when they were made but is actually pretty close to expiring now. Free for 20 years in 2001 sounded like it meant forever, but now here we are only 1 year away from it. Was that not the case?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
When those accounts where given out (and I had several and 2 still are active btw) they were in fact guaranteed for life.
If such accounts were promised to be free for life AND still belong to the original owner, then that's different. I doubt that's the case for most of them though.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
See dot says i am wrong, but i swear there was a $500 purchase, or a contest as well as seer accounts.

Either way, major history loss, and i am suprised some of the OLD em buildings are still standing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When the internet was young I bought a internet connection for life. Cost $60. It lasted 2 years and we got an email that told us it was being cancelled because the owners were retiring and moving to Hawaii. I got a good deal for 2 years of internet back then. I was happy for them that they were able to to retire in Hawaii. Was a Local Company.

They told us to change to Everyones Internet. It was cheap. I used it for a while. Then I just used the 1 month free disks from AOL.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They tell us what they did very clear:

I am sure many of you have noticed a lot of houses falling. I would like to explain that these are due to an audit of complimentary accounts. As we were unable to identify a valid reason they should be comp'd, we removed that status.

Sorry, the free ride has ended.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Volunteers (Counselors/Seers) had comped accounts that were intended to last as long as their service did, though I know that some Senior Counselors were still comped as recently as last year.

There was a rumor that the volunteer lawsuit settlement may have included a clause regarding certain accounts remaining comped in perpetuity, but that would need to be proven. If it were, it would add an unneeded legal wrinkle to an already unfortunate situation. I might still have a copy of the settlement somewhere.

UO has never had a lifetime subscription option, I don't think it's ever made economic sense for the game. (a $500 payment would only cover ~3.2 years of subscription costs as $12.99/mo (~4.17 years at $9.99/mo)) Had they done this, I would have happily purchased this for a few accounts as it would have paid for itself several times over by now!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If such accounts were promised to be free for life AND still belong to the original owner, then that's different. I doubt that's the case for most of them though.
I tend to agree with you. I'm not angry about my accounts. I knew when I got them that eventually I'd have to start paying. I have nothing to complain about. 20 years on an account I didn't have to pay for was definitely a bargain. You are also correct in the fact that odds are most the original owners are no longer in possession of said accounts.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
While I totally agree that they can do what they want with anyone's account and/or house at any time, the NICE thing to have done would be to let the community know what was going to happen before it was a done deal. Unfortunately any kind of communication seems to be painful for the Dev Team, everything has to stay shrouded in mystery as long as possible....

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
While I totally agree that they can do what they want with anyone's account and/or house at any time, the NICE thing to have done would be to let the community know what was going to happen before it was a done deal. Unfortunately any kind of communication seems to be painful for the Dev Team, everything has to stay shrouded in mystery as long as possible....
What's painful is your constant complaints about everything. Not sure why you still play UO

Seems to me their was a fair attempt at communicating to the account owners, an audit was done, action taken, and an explanation heads up.

If an account owners email is from three moves ago and they dont get the info well they do not really care anyway do they. They are not engaged.

How many times do we see posts of people who are engaged but can not find a house plot to place on the shard they want to play. Looks like a few plots just opened up!

Are we going to miss some historic places, sure can you set up your own now absolutley go for it.

The houses were not owned by the community but they did create good memories. Be thankful for them and go make some more.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's painful is your constant complaints about everything. Not sure why you still play UO

Seems to me their was a fair attempt at communicating to the account owners, an audit was done, action taken, and an explanation heads up.

If an account owners email is from three moves ago and they dont get the info well they do not really care anyway do they. They are not engaged.

How many times do we see posts of people who are engaged but can not find a house plot to place on the shard they want to play. Looks like a few plots just opened up!

Are we going to miss some historic places, sure can you set up your own now absolutley go for it.

The houses were not owned by the community but they did create good memories. Be thankful for them and go make some more.

*opens an old leather case and reaches inside it, pulling out a soft, well-tanned piece of sheepskin to hand to Nabin to clean the brown off his nose*

Ever occur to anyone (not you devs, devs, yall are clueless) that the owners of said falling houses probably have changed emails. I know I have. I also know everyone has friends ingame even after they quit. With a bit of notice, it might be that some of those house owners could have been notified of the situation by ingame friends who did stilll have some contact info.'

Might have saved a few accounts and gotten them paying again. But hey, who needed em anyway? We got a huuuugggeeee announcement coming up thats gonna make us the biggest game evah!

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*opens an old leather case and reaches inside it, pulling out a soft, well-tanned piece of sheepskin to hand to Nabin to clean the brown off his nose*

Ever occur to anyone (not you devs, devs, yall are clueless) that the owners of said falling houses probably have changed emails. I know I have. I also know everyone has friends ingame even after they quit. With a bit of notice, it might be that some of those house owners could have been notified of the situation by ingame friends who did stilll have some contact info.'

Might have saved a few accounts and gotten them paying again. But hey, who needed em anyway? We got a huuuugggeeee announcement coming up thats gonna make us the biggest game evah!
*wipes face and tucks the prized sheepskin into his pocket*

It's a true friend that lets you know when you have something on your face you can't see....

Funny when any type of support is shown for something the Development team it results an attempt at public shaming. Always happy to have a good discussion. Discussions happen to have different views at times. While I respect your view that not enough notice was given. I completely disagree.

I hear a lot of people asking help to find a house on various shards. Old historic places you loved owned by players you knew had long left that were standing were the players responsibility to secure if you wanted to keep them. You've had years to contact the Devs about them and request a transfer of a property which may or may not have happened.

My favorite parts of playing UO is the community and the history of the shards I've been involved with. I am realistic though and understand things change and evolve. I get involved with the things important to me supporting them in various ways.

If people want things to be permanent they can always go create their own freeshard, sounds like there is a good bit of help and knowledge on the way for that. Otherwise $12.99 per month for someone else to set it all up for me so I can go enjoy myself and engage with my friends is pretty cheap fun with no development time spent on my part. I understand things will not always be the way I want them but, there is plenty to do and get involved with.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*wipes face and tucks the prized sheepskin into his pocket*

It's a true friend that lets you know when you have something on your face you can't see....

Funny when any type of support is shown for something the Development team it results an attempt at public shaming. Always happy to have a good discussion. Discussions happen to have different views at times. While I respect your view that not enough notice was given. I completely disagree.

I hear a lot of people asking help to find a house on various shards. Old historic places you loved owned by players you knew had long left that were standing were the players responsibility to secure if you wanted to keep them. You've had years to contact the Devs about them and request a transfer of a property which may or may not have happened.

My favorite parts of playing UO is the community and the history of the shards I've been involved with. I am realistic though and understand things change and evolve. I get involved with the things important to me supporting them in various ways.

If people want things to be permanent they can always go create their own freeshard, sounds like there is a good bit of help and knowledge on the way for that. Otherwise $12.99 per month for someone else to set it all up for me so I can go enjoy myself and engage with my friends is pretty cheap fun with no development time spent on my part. I understand things will not always be the way I want them but, there is plenty to do and get involved with.
I get this. I really do. However if we are being honest with ourselves a lot of this mistrust and skepticism is well earned by the devs over the years. I think what is missed often is the fact that UO is in the endgame of it's existence. The major reason it is still operating is that those that still play have a unique bond to the game. If you keep removing the things that strengthen those bonds......

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I get this. I really do. However if we are being honest with ourselves a lot of this mistrust and skepticism is well earned by the devs over the years. I think what is missed often is the fact that UO is in the endgame of it's existence. The major reason it is still operating is that those that still play have a unique bond to the game. If you keep removing the things that strengthen those bonds......
Fair opinion, I'm still waiting for account management to get fixed :)

Content wise. It really is what you make of it.

One can pancake all they want about it on Stratics, the Devs are over at forums.uo.com. Go file your complaints there, put together some good solutions and be thankful for what is accepted.

I do not always get everything I suggest to come to existence, I don't let it stop me from enjoying the UO community and the game. Get out and do something.

*Tips a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute*

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would have been better to place action stones at these kinds of establishments so that current players could take ownership of them on paid accounts. Might have taken a little work, but would have resulted in a win/win.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It didn't state which programs, but then since they won't say which ones are now illegal, if any, I'm not sure how people would know not to use them. There used to be a list of legal programs, but despite being asked for an updated list for a couple of years they refuse to say anything.
But then she says a lot of things on a long day. Many of them nothing but wishful thinking. I also doubt they can exactly see what 3rd party programs a player is running - as she stated once. Makes no sense technically. She is full of BS

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now I once heard that someone had a lifetime account because their son was a DEV back in the early early days ... and something of that nature...

And I've had the same email for the 20 years that I've played... Just saying... However, I know a lot of people get new emails and all that...

Wouldn't have taken but 2 min of the DEVs time to post something ahead of time somewhere... First off so people could actually go to places they loved that would fall and be locked out of and take a few screenies at least to keep the memories... but no... no warning...

IMO it was done as craptastic as a lot of things are anymore... without a lot of care or thought to the community as a whole and just to free up space probably on Atl for certain people who continually get to place there and sell the properties for cash... We all know it happens...

Certainly, most of the land no one needed on any other shard... so no one would care about needing it and more than likely people there did care about the history of their shard falling to ruin... but what's done is done.

It's more than obvious that the team doesn't give a rats behind about history or community. Least that's how I look at it.

Though I will say it's kinda good they killed a bunch of comp accounts that possibly held exploits... taking inventory of such things is probably good. It would be a very good thing to be sure no one with godly powers was secretly sneaking into the game... mucking about with things. So taking inventory of accounts is probably good. I just am not a fan of dropping some of those homes that had a historical impact on communities.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The question is, how often are thoose places visited. We had a Museum castle going idoc on Drachenfels which I first visit when it's Status was announced.
Maybe I have a play style which is different than others, but really.. They spare a lot money and most of the owner left the game and us.

I agree that the info about going idoc for thoose homes was not clear enough.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The question is, how often are those places visited. We had a Museum castle going idoc on Drachenfels which I first visit when it's Status was announced.
Maybe I have a play style which is different than others, but really..
100%. At the risk of sounding insensitive I don't really get it. I've played since 97 myself (on and off... mostly on) and I also have the nostalgia of running through dungeons or certain places so I can see places like these meaning something to people. Sure places have sentimental value, but unless it's like Goodman's Rune Library (ATL) where it offers a valuable public service, how much use is it really getting? In the example of WYU from another post we are talking about a small house of a long gone guild... do people really just go to places like WYU house and just stare at the screen for hours at a time each day remembering what once was?

The best weapons we could get from that time was also a silver vanq weapon so are these same people that think we need to "preserve history" (of accounts that haven't been paid for years) also only using undead slayers for nostalgia?? The answer is no, they use all the new stuff the game offers. Change isn't always easy but that's life.

My point here is that you have to take the bad with the good.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
am i the only one wondering what prompted this audit? i know the devs weren't standing around the water cooler discussing old times & suddenly someone suggested killing old comp accounts. maybe EA asked for true account numbers to determine profitability? maybe the statute of limitations from the counselor lawsuit ran out?

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
am i the only one wondering what prompted this audit? i know the devs weren't standing around the water cooler discussing old times & suddenly someone suggested killing old comp accounts. maybe EA asked for true account numbers to determine profitability? maybe the statute of limitations from the counselor lawsuit ran out?
No clue, Maybe you should post over at forums.uo.com and ask....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably getting a ton of emails from people trying to find a house spot on Atl since Covid. Since there response seemed to indicate they had no clue as to why these houses were still standing, I doubt it was a lawsuit.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
:lol:

Oooo. Should we take bets on how quickly the thread will get locked?

My guess is ~10 mins if posted between 12pm and 9pm E.
Well first one needs an active account.....Then one can post and start the timer