• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS UO Newsletter #50

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think they should bring this to Unleashed... speak openly and leave this thread to the actual details of the newsletter which we seem to have gone pretty far away from... #NoNewContent :devil:
Agreed, the problem with that is that over there the rules may be a bit too relaxed for people to feel comfortable voicing their opinion or views on the matter. We have discussed it at length over there already and the things I learned were a bit concerning to say the least.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you consider emails sent to her by multiple players showing EM's (and other players) "links" to RMT's "strong evidence", then yes. ROFL
I mean, if you want to take it as strong evidence, go for it. Still conjecture.

@Xare Join "Unleashed" and look at some of the threads there. It is an eye opener!
Gonna show my ignorance here; no idea what that is?

I think they should bring this to Unleashed... speak openly and leave this thread to the actual details of the newsletter which we seem to have gone pretty far away from... #NoNewContent :devil:
Yup, I did drag this off topic.

Why is there a surprise about no new content? This Dev team tries (at least in their mind they do) but there's a clear disconnect between the Dev and the player base (or at least the Stratics player base) vision for uo is. If I was a paying customer, I'd sure be more interested in making sure they knew why I was pissed off at their lack of content.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Xare This. But be forewarned, it's NOT for the feint of heart, weak willed, people who get upset when their "dirty laundry" is exposed, or posters who are "emotionally unstable" !

Let me know what you think, should you join.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The dupers can experiment endlessly on free shards and figure out exactly what to do and how to do it before they try on the real UO servers.
But isn't the code for UO different than the code for the "free and not really free" servers? I thought that the programming language is different and some kind of crazy concoction that is vintage. The copycat servers I thought they are mostly based on C sharp #. Or that does not make a difference, and they have similar susceptibilities due to the reverse engineering applied?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But isn't the code for UO different than the code for the "free and not really free" servers? I thought that the programming language is different and some kind of crazy concoction that is vintage. The copycat servers I thought they are mostly based on C sharp #. Or that does not make a difference, and they have similar susceptibilities due to the reverse engineering applied?
Yeah, the emulators code is totally different. Any dupes possible on the official servers would not likely be possible in the emulators. The emulators use better code written by a team of professionals. Official servers.... Well.... You know....

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is that for duping to be stopped the developers have to be better programmers than the cheaters, and that's definitely not the case in UO. Some of the dupers have such an expert level of knowledge about game mechanics and the code that operates it, they can run circles around the developers no matter how much time they put into stopping duping. The dupers can experiment endlessly on free shards and figure out exactly what to do and how to do it before they try on the real UO servers.
Dupers may have better coders, but, freeshards emulate the server code. They don't run off anything resembling actual OSI code. Exploits from a freeshard do not apply to OSI shard anymore than Toyota's repair manual would apply to a Ford.
I agree that in general, new exploits will be discovered after every update. However, duping is so serious that exploits in that area should not be even remotely possible. This is close to the level of giving players admin commands in the chat window. It just should not be possible bugs or no bugs. It comes down to good coding practices and almost everyone but UO managed to do it.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let me grab some popcorn then.
Periodically it may be needed. If you were around for the No Holds Barred board this is similar without the drama queens of old. The threads are interesting.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
If you consider emails sent to her by multiple players showing EM's (and other players) "links" to RMT's "strong evidence", then yes. ROFL
*taps pipe and empties it of ash and looks up as he stuffs it with some Ter Mur TreeFellow Tabac*

Based on your recent/ongoing claims which have not turned out as stated over the last few years and of late. I could understand a good bit of skepticism on the Dev's part. "Strong Evidence" on your part is probably more like a fantasy story with a little conspiracy involved. Makes for good reading, but in the end doesn't really make a difference. A direct indication evidenced by the response you got.

*Nods to the Tavern keeper, flipping him a coin, to buy the oaf in the corner an ale along with a plate of his favorite snack. Broccoli*

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 banned for "solicitation?" They have that in Sosaria?! Where? I need to know! For science.
What is an example of a solicitation?
The most common example of solicitation is prostitution, which involves exchanging sexual acts for some sort of payment. For instance, as in the previous example, a prostitute might seek to persuade an undercover police officer to commit the crime of prostitution. This would constitute solicitation by the prostitute.

I hope this didn't happend :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@kaio I thought it was gold sellers advertising, but maybe it could also be people begging gold and items from other players. I'm surprised the number is so low though if it's either of those....We need clarification darn it! :p

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*taps pipe and empties it of ash and looks up as he stuffs it with some Ter Mur TreeFellow Tabac*

Based on your recent/ongoing claims which have not turned out as stated over the last few years and of late. I could understand a good bit of skepticism on the Dev's part. "Strong Evidence" on your part is probably more like a fantasy story with a little conspiracy involved. Makes for good reading, but in the end doesn't really make a difference. A direct indication evidenced by the response you got.

*Nods to the Tavern keeper, flipping him a coin, to buy the oaf in the corner an ale along with a plate of his favorite snack. Broccoli*
ROFL, I stand by my statements.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
ROFL, I stand by my statements.
It's easy stand while telling a good story my friend.

Quite another thing to put in the work documenting the story transforming it from a work of fiction to a meaningful reporting of facts.

We are all still waiting to hear this little story which is still in the fiction stage to be transformed into a meaningful reporting of facts.

"Well, Bonnie HAS had at least 3 people with "ties" to gold sellers as EM's! That IS a fact. Along with the little tidbit that I have had one of the biggest RMT people in UO tell me that Bonnie KNOWS what he is doing and is fine with it!"

To make it easy for you here is a safe and open place for you to provide the documentation

Doorway to Unleashed - Enter at your own Risk

*Turns back to his garden and tends the next crop of Broccoli* Oh these are turning out nicely.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
im glad it is hard to get accounts back, they have made a lot of mistakes in the past by giving accounts to people and then have them stripped clean.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm with Arm on this one. Knowing character names, templates, where houses were located... even real life names and addresses are far too easy to know about accounts that aren't your own. Requiring information that isn't available in game or easily found with a quick google search is the only real kind of safeguard to accounts.... even old ones. I have friends that haven't played in over a decade.... I could still tell you the characters names, the templates, names, addresses, phone numbers, birthdates... but that information should never make it where I can access or take ownership of their accounts.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just a reminder, to please keep Unleashed topics in Unleashed, so they don't spill over into the normal forums. No one's posts were removed, but there's not really a need to talk about the same topics in a more restrictive environment when you guys can just talk there. Thanks.