• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO is one step closer I guess....

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_controlfive

never heard of it. any game titled "EA Land" deserves to fail, though.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Possible Future Post?<blockquote><hr>

It is with mixed emotions that today we are announcing the Ultima Online experiment will soon draw to a close. Since 1997,Ultima Online has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.

Below are some facts about how the site and service will be closed. Please see also a special message from the team that maintained Ultima Online, to the community that played it.

Key Facts:

On (future date), the game Ultima Online will no longer be in service and EA will focus these resources on future games
Your subscription billing will end now, so that at least 60 days of your UO experience will be at no cost to you
You may cancel your account and subscription at any time by contacting customer service or by managing your EA account online.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

Possible Future Post?<blockquote><hr>

It is with mixed emotions that today we are announcing the Ultima Online experiment will soon draw to a close. Since 1997,Ultima Online has attracted a very special group of players (of which you are one) and we certainly appreciate your participation in the EA community. The lifetime of the game has drawn to an end, and now we will be focusing on new ideas and other innovative concepts in the games arena. We’d like to thank everyone who has taken part in this online community as a unique experience in the virtual world.

Below are some facts about how the site and service will be closed. Please see also a special message from the team that maintained EA-Land, to the community that played it.

Key Facts:

On (future date), the game Ultima Online will no longer be in service and EA will focus these resources on future games
Your subscription billing will end now, so that at least 60 days of your UO experience will be at no cost to you
You may cancel your account and subscription at any time by contacting customer service or by managing your EA account online.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That scares me o_O

G

- Interesting. Thanks for the news.

As far as UO being one step closer to that...
Too much of this is the only way that happens, I think.

D

Daren Athlorn

If MMOChart has any significance on the number of subscriptions, DAOC will be killed way before Ultima Online.

If they cancel DAOC then we should start to worry.

I

imported_Viper09

Ok, I had to login just to say this...
EA Land??? What on earth?! Never even heard that existed.
I truly hope that there was no payment to even play that kind of game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If MMOChart has any significance on the number of subscriptions, DAOC will be killed way before Ultima Online.

If they cancel DAOC then we should start to worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, UO has a 2 year plan apparently... though nobody said it had a happy ending hehe

I'm not that concerned though. The devs seem to be a lot more active and fixing UO up really nicely, which suggests to me an enthusiasm for their work and that the foundations are going down for some new changes. I'm guessing whatever is at the end of the quest arc, SA or anything else we don't know about. Pirates! *hopes*

Wenchy

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is doing fine for the moment. They are efficiently using the resources available to them (for the most part), listening to player feed back (for the most part), and also hiring people.. The risk of something like this happening is significantly lower than it was in not so distant past.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
75K x 12 months x $12/month = $10.8M
Thats not even including token, extra char and extra storage sales.

I want a real 3D UO, built ontop of Warhammer Online. Just imagine UO with stunning graphics.

If they do it in Australia, they can also get a 175% tax deduction. i.e. if it costs 4m to develop, then you can deduct 7m as expenses. I'm sure there are similar incentives in other countries as well.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sad at all about these news. I think it is even good news for some aspects of online games.

If you do a search on "EA Land" then you will find some quick infos about what that game actually was. It was about making more money from selling rl things in an online world, just like in "Second Life".
"EA Land" is/was an add-on to Sims Online. Although it was free and although the players were able to do many things it was still just an experiment to see how much money EA could get out of their customers by selling real items for rl cash in a virtual world.

So in fact the ending of this experiment has nothing to do with UO and will not directly affect UO. Maybe this failed experiment even helps to keep UO clean from commercials for real life items.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried The Sims Online a few months ago using a code someone gave me. Believe me... that game was a mess. It had reached a point where developers were allowing players to create their own direction for the game (and we're not talking sandbox gameplay here).

UO is a very small game compared to what it used to be, but it is still succeeding.