• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO IS DEAD!

• Thread starter Tox The Murder
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6
W

Woodsman

You're right! UO died the day they opened access to the new lands. Or was it when they started Tram? Or the age of Stuff? or......
It died back in September of 1992 when Richard Garriott decided to sell Origin to EA because he wanted to go into space 16 years later and he needed some cash.

W

Woodsman

I would joke about how it's too bad that Garriott didn't sell Origin to Sierra, but then I think about everything that happened to Sierra.

:sad3:

V

Vyndrika

I came back to see if UO has changed for better or worse since I've been gone (roughly 4 years). Seeing how people still feel the need to gain attention by contradicting everyone instead of trying to take a look at someone else's viewpoint, I don't think anything has changed in that regard. From what I've read throughout the forums and elsewhere it also looks like the game updates and other new things that have been implemented since I've been gone haven't panned out either, which for a monthly fee type of game doesn't look so good. So with all the facts and opinions combined I'm not returning.

No one could care less I understand, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts as an old player who was truly hoping to return. Absolutely loved the taming and housing options! Have never found a game even close to what UO did in that aspect and I doubt I ever will. I loved the skills and the good people, there were lots of good memories for me. However, I didn't like the economy, emotionally stunted people, or the various "enhancements" that the updates brought so I left and overall those aspects haven't improved to this day. It still seems as though the Dev's are too far removed to fully see what was going on then and even now.

Aside from that, I did want to thank Bryson for their insights. So thank you for that Bryson, I really do appreciate it and I can understand where you're coming from =) :thumbup: Oh and btw the argument over UO being dead or not is ultimately moot. UO won't die so long as there are those willing to pay for it, so fact is that no UO most likely won't be dying anytime soon. Happy Gaming!!

Abercoby

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I came back to see if UO has changed for better or worse since I've been gone (roughly 4 years). Seeing how people still feel the need to gain attention by contradicting everyone instead of trying to take a look at someone else's viewpoint, I don't think anything has changed in that regard. From what I've read throughout the forums and elsewhere it also looks like the game updates and other new things that have been implemented since I've been gone haven't panned out either, which for a monthly fee type of game doesn't look so good. So with all the facts and opinions combined I'm not returning.

No one could care less I understand, but I thought I'd throw in my thoughts as an old player who was truly hoping to return. Absolutely loved the taming and housing options! Have never found a game even close to what UO did in that aspect and I doubt I ever will. I loved the skills and the good people, there were lots of good memories for me. However, I didn't like the economy, emotionally stunted people, or the various "enhancements" that the updates brought so I left and overall those aspects haven't improved to this day. It still seems as though the Dev's are too far removed to fully see what was going on then and even now.

Aside from that, I did want to thank Bryson for their insights. So thank you for that Bryson, I really do appreciate it and I can understand where you're coming from =) :thumbup: Oh and btw the argument over UO being dead or not is ultimately moot. UO won't die so long as there are those willing to pay for it, so fact is that no UO most likely won't be dying anytime soon. Happy Gaming!!
Good luck, you will be back soon again. There is no other game like UO.

A

AmnesiA01

Old Bryson Fox hey, A most enjoyable read from my old guild leader. I laughed, mostly the part where at some point she thought well ****. I have just been trumped my mathematical genius and superior intelligence I must now not reply. I thought it was a heated debate, where did communication go? Kudos Sir.

I still pay and play Oceania. Tho I do think the price is bolloks we pay the same as WOW and the server infrastructure has far more expensive upkeep, than the **** UO runs. lower the price to a more reasonable amount and maybe people will come back. :arr:

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the position of an Oceania player lies somewhere different to the positions of most of the people claiming UO to be dead.

I remember a long long time ago, Europa was suffering similar problems, so I can feel your pain :(
All I can really offer you is that they do actually care about you. They may be glacial to act (the same was true with Europa, back then), and so it mightn't seem it, but they do care.
No, they don't care.

The Europa server was pants. Then they moved the server from London to Germany so that it was even more pants for anyone not in Germany.

The Europa server remains pants. It's one of the reasons I play so seldom.

Despite a whole bunch of folks posting pings, nothing has improved and Europa is still pants.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, they don't care.

The Europa server was pants. Then they moved the server from London to Germany so that it was even more pants for anyone not in Germany.

The Europa server remains pants. It's one of the reasons I play so seldom.

Despite a whole bunch of folks posting pings, nothing has improved and Europa is still pants.
Define "pants", because if that's the sole grounds for your disagreement with my informed assertion that they do care, then some elaboration would be nice :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Down with the pants!

Wait . . .

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Oh, I got it. It was funnier last year.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So boring when people are obviously trying to get a rise out of others. I've yet to see anything new either, same boring stuff over and over.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes there is no such thing as joking around, EVERYTHING IS SUPER SERIOUS HATEFUL RAGE INDUCING ANGER FORCING.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes there is no such thing as joking around, EVERYTHING IS SUPER SERIOUS HATEFUL RAGE INDUCING ANGER FORCING.
Maybe an odd sense of humor then, I don't see it. Rather you appear to be someone who finds it fun to sneak around and poke at people with rather unnecessary comments every now and then, lol. Perhaps text alone doesn't it cut it for achieving the good fun of subtle sarcasm.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care either way, I was just responding to your comment. I tend to do that sort of thing here. I take it you noticed? Lol

Btw I won't need that link, no offence for not taking the offer I hope...

Aeramus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If EA did give up on UO, would they sell it off?? Is that even a possibility? I have never found another game Like UO and keep hoping they pump life back into it. What I have been reading makes it sound like the days of having a crew of 50-60 players on at the same time fighting another guild of 50-60 players are long gone, that is extremely sad.

W

Woodsman

EA doesn't like to sell off IP. Look at all of the dead IP they are just sitting on that other companies would buy in a heartbeat - Wing Commander being at the top of the list.

Look at all the studios they've bought over the years and then killed, plenty of games that should have been made, but never were.

W

weazze

i played from 98-01 and just returned about a month ago and im loving it.

W

weazze

got a friend to come with me also and hes loving it to. havent ordered the high seas expansion yet not sure what thats all about anyway

Ricsreturn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UO Apocalypse release date Dec 12 2012

Necromancers raise all the bad back from the dead they begin slaying all the healers wandering in the lands.
Zombies invade everything... once you die that's it no more coming back to life once you killed the spawn no more respawn.. EA sends you their infamous " We're closing the doors" letters and offer you free time in another lame soon to be gone MMO which is actually how I found UO when they bought out westwood games.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fel started to become a wasteland when the runestones stopped working. When they made everyone use the moongates to switch facets and they started always coming out facing 15 - 20 gankers, people quit going there. At the same time, when players who used to switch facets a lot found themselves trapped in fel by the same gank squads, they just gave up and quit. Nice going EA. I still have bags of fel and tram stones in the bank in hope that the dev's will come to their senses and re-activate them. Of course, that won't happen 'cause they stand to get rid of a lot of servers if they can get everyone to leave fel.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
For what it's worth, UO Stratics' traffic is on the rise over the past three months...

S

SugarSmacks

Lets face it UO is dead! D-E-A-D.... Fel is wasteland. hardly any new ppl.....everyone is going to freeshardss.....UO is dead ppl face....all ppl do now is trash in general chat........UO is not fun anymore :thumbdown:
Everyone that has said this game can survive without fel is going to swiftly find out.

The actual pvprs are leaving i know i will soon whats the point in staying? Im pretty sure i wont be going alone since my girlfriend is the GM of our guild. Im pretty sure most of them wont want to stay when we go. Then the people we have been fighting for years...LOL there gone too, why would they stay they openly said they wont.

You think this doesnt effect shards like atlantic LOL! If we didnt pvp there half the time there would be no pvp at all.

If you enjoyed UOs pvp enjoy this last year of it there will be no 16th i guarantee it.

There is no reason to stay 15 years of not fixing the same stuff just says it will never get fixed.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone that has said this game can survive without fel is going to swiftly find out.

The actual pvprs are leaving i know i will soon whats the point in staying? Im pretty sure i wont be going alone since my girlfriend is the GM of our guild. Im pretty sure most of them wont want to stay when we go. Then the people we have been fighting for years...LOL there gone too, why would they stay they openly said they wont.

You think this doesnt effect shards like atlantic LOL! If we didnt pvp there half the time there would be no pvp at all.

If you enjoyed UOs pvp enjoy this last year of it there will be no 16th i guarantee it.

There is no reason to stay 15 years of not fixing the same stuff just says it will never get fixed.
CYA! Go to star wars for 6 months a year untill that games DIES, go to care bear WoW world were you get bored in 48 hours, go try darkfall wait thats dead... Rift? Dead... UO has surpassed the survival of any game at this point so if you want to go then go, because their are so many better games out there... Wait no, I lied every other game is also exactly the same besides UO

W

Woodsman

I remember some people saying EVE Online would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off (and EVE is the closest you'll get to the early days of UO PvP - you can lose everything, it's sandboxy as hell, and you can take just about everything from players you defeat).

I remember some people saying Guild Wars would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off.

I remember some people saying Warhammer Online would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off.

Although some Warhammer players are concerned that Guild Wars 2 will kill it off when it launches :lick:

Hell, I might as well argue that item insurance killed off PvP since it removed the risk from PvP. Yet, somehow PvP survived item insurance.

There is a point at which UO will die, but it won't be because of any one facet or any one playstyle.

S

SugarSmacks

I remember some people saying EVE Online would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off (and EVE is the closest you'll get to the early days of UO PvP - you can lose everything, it's sandboxy as hell, and you can take just about everything from players you defeat).

I remember some people saying Guild Wars would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off.

I remember some people saying Warhammer Online would kill off PvP in UO. It may have made a small dent, but it didn't kill it off.

Although some Warhammer players are concerned that Guild Wars 2 will kill it off when it launches :lick:

Hell, I might as well argue that item insurance killed off PvP since it removed the risk from PvP. Yet, somehow PvP survived item insurance.

There is a point at which UO will die, but it won't be because of any one facet or any one playstyle.
Actually its amazing you said that, i have been trying EVE online and let me tell you its got amazing graphics amazing gameplay and it seems extremely interesting. I then proceeded to head to youtube to see how it used to be and it looked like total crap lol! Its amazing how far that game has come and to see all the actual care that is put into it. The developers have something there, and i think im going to be part of it.

Unfortunately the more i play EVE the more UO sickens me to come back to, its just too bad i cant convert all my gold to ISK.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually its amazing you said that, i have been trying EVE online and let me tell you its got amazing graphics amazing gameplay and it seems extremely interesting. I then proceeded to head to youtube to see how it used to be and it looked like total crap lol! Its amazing how far that game has come and to see all the actual care that is put into it. The developers have something there, and i think im going to be part of it.

Unfortunately the more i play EVE the more UO sickens me to come back to, its just too bad i cant convert all my gold to ISK.
WoW is the top MMo for a reason. :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

V

Von Dagger

Wish someone told me that before I just returned after an 8 year break.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To quote the first post on the original Ultima Online Forums:

"This game won't last 6 months"

W

Woodsman

Anybody who seriously worries, they are going to keep it going through at least the 15th Anniversary.

PC Gamer is interviewing Mesanna and Jeff Skalski because of the 15th Anniversary.

When was the last time PC Gamer interviewed any UO developers about UO?

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The death of PvP won't kill UO. PvP has been on life support since the PKers nearly ended UO before Trammel was created. For all the baits & lures the Devs have come up with over the years, Fel is still a ghost town.

As long as the popular Trammel and other tram ruleset lands are supported, UO will hang on for years to come. Particularly if they supply a Player's Guide to help Newbies learn how to play UO. There is a lot to learn in this sandbox after fourteen years. Your not guided down a set simple path here like in most modern games. UO requires you to have a clue about how to survive in a very complex land.
My god you are SOO Wrong. I'm going to leave it at that.