• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO IS ADVERTISING AGAIN!!!

R

ReaperNI

When will we see actual tangible merchandise from UO, and will we see a box on store shelves?

It is unlikely you will ever see another box for Ultima Online on Target or Best Buy store shelves. Much of the industry is moving toward digital distribution.

OR NOT LMAO

MAN THOSE IDIOTS WITH BLIZZARD WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND THERE EVER GROWING CUSTOMER BASE SURE DO HAVE MUD ON THEIR FACE WITH THERE IN STORE SALES AND ADVERTISING ON TV. WAIT TILL THEY FIND OUT THEY ARE DOING WRONG LMAO

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blizzard has a name and a product thats worth advertising...UO is an ancient 2D game, its really not worth spending money on advertisement or putting boxes on shelves.

T

Tazar

I don't think it's an issue with the Mythic team not wanting UO on the shelves... it's an issue with trying to convince retailers to devote valuable shelf-space to a 13 year old product.

Anyone checked the expiration date lately? lol

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ever notice when you come to uo stratics they are always advertsing FTP games? Makes you wonder why UO dont advertise like that on other stratics gaming forums or do they?

You have to come to the realization that EA depends on word of mouth which is free and most importantly is free :)

R

ReaperNI

first off not worth advertising? and how dead is your shard?

second off how bout this i came back 2 years ago lets see that was in 08 and i had played on my older borthers account 10 years ago i wasnt very good or knew anything about the game but i figured man id like to play uo . after searching 4 different stores someone had a copy under a pile of dust in the back if it wasnt for a store bought copy i wouldnt be playing right now. TYR

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it's an issue with the Mythic team not wanting UO on the shelves... it's an issue with trying to convince retailers to devote valuable shelf-space to a 13 year old product.

Anyone checked the expiration date lately? lol
Truthfully you used to go to gamestop and walmart and they had huge slection of pc games to choose from. Since gaming online has changed they have shrunk the pc game sections to a very small section. I dont think its more a 13 year old game because we all know walmart how they think. If you just come in to buy a game on the shelf maybe you will buy other stuf while you are there. They would put our moms in the store and sell them if they could. I mean seriosuly, how many ever walked into walmart for 1 item and leave with only 1 item. They sell UO in a box if they could. Mythic and EA dont want to because its cheaper by digital distribution. EA > Walmart when it comes to being cheap... errrr i meant cost savings :p

R

ReaperNI

BAH! LEAVE WALMART WITH ONE ITEMS I DECLARE SHENANIGANZ!!!

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I will admit I was a bit disapointed in the fact they wont be making a physical showing to the stores for the new generation of players we could be getting(even a tolken cd for 4.99 would have helped!).
I do see their point... we have been advanced to the download generation of things not cause we are so old no one would want to buy UO but the fact is strongly evident that online sales would be the fastest and more cheaper in the long run.
EA lost alot of money .... madden is no longer doing football so their big seller is kaput. WoW sells in the stores and is still hot cause they give things in their boxes with the cd.... As with UO... when was the last time you saw a booklet?
When I got SA not a book, not a map, nada.. just "here get lost and stop bugging me" Ok I can see they would ike us to explore and not have things handed to us.
If not for Tina Small I'd not know where to find even one entery much less know how to go... But there again I have to understand EA will not spend another penny on advertising of UO or many of its other low producting games still working. It's rolling its hopes in the new. If you ever want to know what a company like EA is like financialy get a share of stock ... your eyes will open big time.

J

[JD]

i'd be interested to see how their subscriptions are doing, if they are losing players, gaining, or holding even with their 'word of mouth' method

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blizzard has a name and a product thats worth advertising...UO is an ancient 2D game, its really not worth spending money on advertisement or putting boxes on shelves.
Think that pretty much covers it. Betting retailers would rather devote their space to more popular games that people are much more likely to spend their money on.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the people who don't upgrade their computers every couple of years might try a game like UO that plays well on an older machine. Most online games require some relatively serious hardware to run.

I build a new computer when the one I currently have won't do what I want it to do anymore. My laptop ia a Pentium 120 MHz and still does everything I want to do on it but play online games, It would run the lite install UO:Ren which fit its HD, but nothing since. Still does everything else. :)

S

Sturdy

Why do you have an account here?

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's kinda funny , really.

All the fanboys would preach how UO is the pinnacle of software programming (as they should) , but I'm willing to bet no one tries to use word-of-mouth advertising to convince friends/family to join.

I'm not a UO fanboy, I'm not going to try and convince anyone to play this game. I barley play it anymore.

S

Sturdy

Think that pretty much covers it. Betting retailers would rather devote their space to more popular games that people are much more likely to spend their money on.

Retailers devote space to the items they are paid to sell- Either the customers pay or the manufacturers. In this case they only need to link shelf space for UO to discounts on the big titles.

If EA offered a discount for quantities purchased they only need to tell the retailer that UO boxes count towards the discount rate on larger titles- because the per unit cost is lower retailers would bring in a few faces of UO to bump the blockbuster titles up to the next discount level.

Fifa, Medal of Honor, Sims etc- The UO team thinks it wont happen, and they should know, but the idea that digital distribution alone will work is a non starter unless they fricking actually digitally distribute it. Putting a DL link on a long forgotten page does not count as "the future of game distribution." For that BS to fly they need to be on Steam etc.

S

Sturdy

It's kinda funny , really.

All the fanboys would preach how UO is the pinnacle of software programming (as they should) , but I'm willing to bet no one tries to use word-of-mouth advertising to convince friends/family to join.

I'm not a UO fanboy, I'm not going to try and convince anyone to play this game. I barley play it anymore.

See ya.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
put a few months into enhanced client and do a minor ad routine, there is alot of X-ultima players out there, if they do it right, there is hope :)

L

Lord Urza

I Only got back into uo because of the SE expansion, which i seen gamestop and bought on the spot.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the people who don't upgrade their computers every couple of years might try a game like UO that plays well on an older machine. Most online games require some relatively serious hardware to run.

I build a new computer when the one I currently have won't do what I want it to do anymore. My laptop ia a Pentium 120 MHz and still does everything I want to do on it but play online games, It would run the lite install UO:Ren which fit its HD, but nothing since. Still does everything else. :)
I have a $900 desktop replacement laptop. My last desktop was a $2000 balls-to-the-wall gaming rig I built myself.

The game I play most is UO. And ONLY the real client.

It's not just the people with old computers.