• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] FoF: Spring Showers

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In this week's Five on Friday we cover additional tamables in Stygian Abyss and the Avatar.

For more information click here.

More...

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
be cool if they created a sea-based dungeon - where you sail into a strange new area where you need nightsight to see and where new creatures try to attack your boat. maybe have a maze of creepy hanging vines to navigate through... or maybe i just need to play some more tomb raider on my ps2 this weekend. it's been awhile... heh

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a surprise, another joke of an FoF with only one real answer.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was a weak FoF. Really not even worth the 30 seconds it took to read it.

R

Rocklin

That was a weak FoF. Really not even worth the 30 seconds it took to read it.
I have never complained about a FoF, until now. Not much was actually answered. Let's call this ToF. Two on Friday. Yeesh....

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy :)

Some long-requested teases, some lore, some urban legend squelching ... what more do you want to see?

(ie: what questions did you submit?)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, I see 3 answers, 1 "I can't answer you without releasing details about SA I'm not able to reveal yet" (the pets one), and 1 sorta-cop-out concerning an idea that many individual Devs have wanted to do for years, but have had technical issues (boats being tile-based is one of the big issues with a nautical expansion).

IF you actually get a chance to hear some of the discussions concerning that last question, from town halls, you'd understand WHY he didn't want to try an answer in a FoF - it would be long enough to be a discussion by itself (as long as one of those old FoFs with the pages of community events). He's really just saying (in an obtuse manner) "yeah, we want to do one, but getting to do it and making it work is another matter, so here's a fish story..."

How did the last lines of Skynyrd's song about questions go?

A

Aboo

Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy :)

Some long-requested teases, some lore, some urban legend squelching ... what more do you want to see?

(ie: what questions did you submit?)
I kinda feel like the puppy who keeps coming up to his/her master and wagging it's tail and repeatedly getting kicked and NOT learning his/her lesson.

Although it's not really a FoF (although I have asked it) but stupid me I just keep thinking and hoping that maybe they would address the MUCH asked and NOT answered questions about the 11th Anniversary Items. :sad4:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait ... which anniversary items are we talking about?

The tokens? (in which case no question reads to me like "still no news *grumble**grumble*")

The 11th anniversary cake? (in which case, I think we need to throw in the towel ... the moment has long-since passed)

I don't mean to be a fanboy, but I don't see how that FoF can be a "kick" ... I mean to continue your metaphor, at worst its a mildly patronatizing pat on the head and faking a tossed bone :)

A

Aboo

Wait ... which anniversary items are we talking about?

The tokens? (in which case no question reads to me like "still no news *grumble**grumble*")

The 11th anniversary cake? (in which case, I think we need to throw in the towel ... the moment has long-since passed)

I don't mean to be a fanboy, but I don't see how that FoF can be a "kick" ... I mean to continue your metaphor, at worst its a mildly patronatizing pat on the head and faking a tossed bone :)
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say to me, so I really can't intelligently respond. But that's okay, I think you are playing peacemaker and that's always a good role for someone to tackle. :thumbsup:

N

Nvnter

:wall: Ugggggggggggg With FoFs like this, one can assume that:

A. This game doesn't have the depth to have areas of information that need to have light shed on.

B. The expansion is so far off they are fearful of letting us know.

C. This game is perfect and has nothing that needs to be discussed.

:thumbdown:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A

Aboo

I like it when people admit their shortcomings in the cognitive thought area...... why flame someone one they do it to themselves?

(that's a joke, Aboo & Lynk) :)
From you it was taken in the spirit it was said. :)

A

Aboo

I have no idea how you meant this so will simply assume it was made in jest since you choose to take what I said out of context and only take part of what I said. I guess I did leave myself open for that didn't I?

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow such a typical response to questions.i would compare a lot of these FoFs to be the same as if I wrote the questions I wanted in the SAT and then took that same SAT and got a perfect score.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had sent in a question about a month ago about Luck's role in Doom Gauntlet- and Treasures of Tokuno-style drop systems. Still no answer.

Just sent it in again for good measure.

S

Seismic

What did Draconi mean in the response to the requested pirate expansion? "High Seas" = the "horrible" way ships are coded in the current client??

Maybe I'm just slow but I don't get his response..

R

rockytriton

I had sent in a question about a month ago about Luck's role in Doom Gauntlet- and Treasures of Tokuno-style drop systems. Still no answer.

Just sent it in again for good measure.
Great, now it's number 1,348,208 and 1,580,230 on the queue.

F

Fink

With so few opportunities, I wish they wouldn't waste questions on things they don't want to answer anyway.

R

Rocklin

IF you actually get a chance to hear some of the discussions concerning that last question, from town halls, you'd understand WHY he didn't want to try an answer in a FoF - it would be long enough to be a discussion by itself (as long as one of those old FoFs with the pages of community events).
Ok then why choose it as one of the questions? All I am saying personally is that FoF is supposed to be answers to questions. If they don't get five good questions, let us know that. But a partial or "no" answer is silly.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll answer the Doom question. Each kill you get, increases your chance of getting an arty.

The faster the bosses are killed, the faster you get another arty. If you solo, it will take a very long time on average to get an arty, compared to in a large group.

So dont waste time doing Doom unless there are lots of people there, ideally 10, as everyone involved will get looting rights. This is especially true, because of the cheap availability of faction versions of all the high end PvM items like faction Ornys.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some of the sea issues, past & present....

1. Boats are tile-based, as is their movement, leading to such things as ghost images, people getting knocked off boats, surface features materializing in the middle of a deck when the boat resets around them, etc.

2. Z-axis issues. The seas are really just water tiles, with bare land beneath them. It the past, there were cases of people getting boats onto high-z water bodies (the justice shrine lake) and sailing them off, effectively turning them into airboats. On the other hand, some people found ways of getting their characters UNDER the waves, and using that wide-open normally-inaccessible area for unattended macro mining. These exploits were fixed prior to AoS, as far as I can tell, as you can't put boats on non-sea-level water bodies anymore, and I believe the servers were coded to bounce anyone under sea level with a water tile above them back to the surface.

3. One of the earlier expansions was supposed to have included ridable seahorses and other sea content, but that got sank by the above problems.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not the first bad FoF ever written.

It's just the first bad one we've had in a long time.

Methinks people's standards are rising, and that in itself is a positive sign.

Used to be I'd go many weeks without reading a word of interest in the FoFs.

Basara said:
3. One of the earlier expansions was supposed to have included ridable seahorses and other sea content, but that got sank by the above problems.
It occurs to me that being able to summon a Dolphin with a whistle, then get on and ride about the waves, would be awesome.

S

Sweeney

Next weeks FoF:

What color is the sky in Stygian Abyss?
You can't see it anyway, but we'll look it into it.

Really, what color is it?
The devs tried looking into it, but they can't get beyond the top-down view. They can't see it either. We'll ask our boss.

What did the boss say about the sky?
He misunderstood the question. He thought someone was tripping out asking about the color of 'desk high.' They were fired and no one else is brave enough to ask again.

Can elves chop wood?
We'll look into it.

Why isn't the patch screen updated with important info?
Yes elves can chop wood.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next weeks FoF:

What color is the sky in Stygian Abyss?
You can't see it anyway, but we'll look it into it.

Really, what color is it?
The devs tried looking into it, but they can't get beyond the top-down view. They can't see it either. We'll ask our boss.

What did the boss say about the sky?
He misunderstood the question. He thought someone was tripping out asking about the color of 'desk high.' They were fired and no one else is brave enough to ask again.

Can elves chop wood?
We'll look into it.

Yes elves can chop wood.
Ahaha. :ten:

S

Sebrina

Next weeks FoF:

Can elves chop wood?
We'll look into it.

Yes elves can chop wood.
If a Wood-Elf would chop wood, how much wood would a Wood-Elf chop?

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll answer the Doom question. Each kill you get, increases your chance of getting an arty.

The faster the bosses are killed, the faster you get another arty. If you solo, it will take a very long time on average to get an arty, compared to in a large group.

So dont waste time doing Doom unless there are lots of people there, ideally 10, as everyone involved will get looting rights. This is especially true, because of the cheap availability of faction versions of all the high end PvM items like faction Ornys.
That doesn't correspond at all to the question I asked, or the generalization of the question I had in my post. I asked about the role of Luck in that system. As in the actual mathematical equations that get run in the code. Somehow, I doubt you can answer that.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

"Will there be any new tameable mounts with SA? Or any new tameables?...

I wouldn’t be surprised!
-Draconi"

How could anyone possibly be surprised, its the same thing you do EVERY expansion.

C

Connor_Graham

"Will there be any new tameable mounts with SA? Or any new tameables?...

I wouldn’t be surprised!
-Draconi"

How could anyone possibly be surprised, its the same thing you do EVERY expansion.
A better question for him to have answered would be are they going to give us more stable slots so we can have room for the new tameables.

I've got to admit, even I found this week's FoF to be pretty empty.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Granted I would be extremely upset and disappointed as a tamer if there weren't tamables in the next expansion ...... I too think that something needs addressed as far as stable slots.... and not Just for tamers ..... for everyone.....

My crafter has no room at all to keep things like golem..... he has a blue and an orange beetle already and he can only have one of those out at a time...... as well he has a pack llama so I honestly have to do some silly shuffle every time I want to switch beetles...

I had to give up my very old swamp dragon on one of my characters because a good friend gave me a pair ferrets...... which by the way aren't nearly as cute and fun when you only have one..... much more fun in pairs....

Some of my other characters have trouble with not being able to have much for pets because they have a horse and a pack animal.... so they don't have room for squirrels or anything like that..... Or they have a golem for training and had to give something up...

I think everyone should have a base of 5 instead of 2...... after all you can have 5 followers..... seems kinda silly that you can only keep 2 of them safe in the stable.....

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Why is there never any content for bards in any expansion?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey the FoF was fine, umm,but apparently only if you're a Moderator. And there seem to be more and more these days...

And someones hand has got to be tired from shaking that Magic 8 Ball for those answers...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey the FoF was fine, umm,but apparently only if you're a Moderator. And there seem to be more and more these days...
I must be the exception that proves the rule or something then? Because this FoF was the worst one I've read on a long time. Sad to say that I actually looked forward to it this week. Maybe next week they'll have some real info to give us. *crosses fingers*

D

Dragonchilde

A better question for him to have answered would be are they going to give us more stable slots so we can have room for the new tameables.

I've got to admit, even I found this week's FoF to be pretty empty.
Did you ask that question?