• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO effect in RL

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Went to a social gathering with a former professor of mine, where the party (appx 20) was split male/female sides and we played "Battle of the Sexes" board game. It is supposedly male biased questions asked of females, and vice versa. One of the questions asked to the male team was "What are large rolls of fabric called ?" I shot my hand in the air (completely unnecessary gesture) and said excitedly and loudly "Oh thats Bolts!".
At 40 yrs myself, with the exception of professor I was by far the youngest in the room, group was mostly 50+, and no I have not been divorced 2+ or more times... this may have had some tangible effect on the gameplay.

The hostess was in her kitchen at the time, and wanted to know who answered that and how they knew... I explained to the group it was due to my participation in the Grandfather of all MMO, Ultima Online. That I had a tailor and so forth. Some smiles and some funny stares, but that was the highlight of my evening. And some folks said video games were useless:).

Made me think about the game again, so I've just been to the UO herald site, and see there is Welcome Back this month... I may see if home is still around and go dig up some boxes in between homework. What is this U4E I see things said about ?

@thread I just saw - I too remember DB4 and SX. and GoL. I still talk to Sparhawk every now and then, and regularly with Sarrin (I beleive was his GoL toon). I was terribad at the PvP, so I would usually go to Yew and 1. Charge out nekkid except for a dagger just to goof people, or 2. Sit and watch the fights.

DOM

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
DOM I like you and all, but man if knowing what a bolt is was the highlight of your evening you're hanging out with the wrong people! I don't care how old/young you are HAHAHA
:p

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I am a math major not a lit wit. Try this : Knowing something as a result of playing UO, and the resultant reactions from others present, was the highlight. I thought that would strike a chord, on this board, (See what I did there), of memories of UO past.

Oddly you are accurate in your assessment, that was the wrong group of people for me. My perception may have been skewed, but there was far more drinking and complaining about exes and the questions, than answering the questions.

I do not hang out much, as it were, in RL w anyone. It is currently difficult for me to find common ground and people to associate with. I have alot of homework, in my senior year of classes for Applied Mathematics, going right into Masters program. Except when on campus, most people I meet hate math, and as soon as you mention letters with numbers they are completely fooked.

You are invited to entertain me in person, Florida. Bring the outfit in your avatar, some bacon, 6ft of rubber tubing and a Yak (bonus points for anyone who can identify the bold text reference source).

Barring a personal appearance, I will accept a PM about how awesome TSW is, and why I should try it out.

How very kind of you to profess your like for me. Thank you. I do not recall meeting you in game, but my active period was a long time ago. I am pretty bored this evening, and could use a break from homeworking. Hmmmm.... so @ Flutter and any UO people ... anyone care to have a chat this evening. Call it a meet and greet. I have an old mumble server around somewhere.... shoot me a pm if interested. Yeah I know there is ICQ and the like, but I dislike typing so much during the conversation.

Would I be able to post for a future date in the Catskills Events thread, something like "Come meet DOM, might want to come back and be active in UO" ? Or is that only for IN game EM events ?

*waves* Hi ludes

DOM

Last edited:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
You sir, make Flutter laugh. This is good enough for me!
Sorry I was unable to provide your in-person entertainment as I had trouble finding the yak.
I was also unable to visit your mumble server for the meet and greet. My other obligations keep me from fun things like this (and games of "Battle of the Sexes" for that matter).

As for reasons to play The Secret World, if you love myth, legend, and conspiracy theories you will love TSW. Check TSW Stratics forum for details. We also have a game portal at tsw.stratics.com which I should add to my signature.

Last edited:

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey DOM!.. *waves back*
Did you do the RtB thing? ICQ me and we'll go kill stuff.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reminds me of a time years ago when I had to ride the bus from the train station to work instead of taking the subway. The bus takes a loop through Chinatown and I saw a sign in a shop window advertising fresh ginsing. My first reaction was, "Wow, I have to bring some cash tomorrow and do some reg shopping!"