• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Disconnects/Sync errors

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Getting hard to play since the last patch or 2. Guess it was the patch before the fix patch.

I lag out and get booted a few seconds later. Usually when this happens I get an out of sync error message when I try to log back in. I then have to restart the client by closing it, wait a few seconds and reopen it. Naturally going through this nonsense when in combat is not a good thing. I also sometimes get this thing that while I can move around I can't for example open chests or move things around in say my pack. That one is really odd.

Connections are a tricky thing. I've been thinking perhaps it's my cable connection. But my house was complete rewired with the newest equipment less than a year ago for Comcast's X1 platform. I guess the straw that broke the camel's back is I've been going to DSL Reports doing packet loss and jitter tests several times a day and they always come back clean. So I think something is up. Online games are more demanding than other connections but I don't seem to be having any issues at all otherwise with Roku or anything else. My Roku or On Demand etc usually are pretty sensitive to connection problems.

So fix it :p .... Please :)

@Mesanna @Kyronix

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
recall somewhere, and then start to move off-go two or three steps and freeze.
Completely frozen, can't move, cant talk in chat, can't do anything.
But everyone else is still talking, can read all the chat thats coming thru. Animals walk by...chickens still sound off, its weird, like I am the only thing stuck on the server.
Whats up with that?

And yeah, takes a complete restart to fix it

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I started to have the same problem yesterday on my lap top, walk, freeze, lose connection. I can see the chat moving fine and yep everything else walks by. I use the classic client and am stuck with dsl. and here I was cussing out century link again.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
ANSWER: UO currently uses Amazon cloud hosting for the shards. AMAZON WEB SERVICES started "Singing Daisy" this morning, and everything AWS based was hosed all day long (only started coming back online around 4). And, yes, it started with the AWS servers in Virginia.

Amazon cloud storage failure causes widespread outages

When Amazon's cloud storage fails, lots of people get wet
Amazon’s cloud-computing service Amazon Web Services experienced problems in its eastern U.S. region, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017, causing widespread problems for thousands of websites and apps. (AP Photo - Reed Saxon)
By MAE ANDERSON
From Associated Press
February 28, 2017 7:51 PM EST
NEW YORK (AP) — Usually people don't notice the "cloud" — unless, that is, it turns into a massive storm. Which was the case Tuesday when Amazon's huge cloud-computing service suffered a major outage.
Amazon Web Services, by far the world's largest provider of internet-based computing services, suffered an unspecified breakdown in its eastern U.S. region starting about midday Tuesday. The result: unprecedented and widespread performance problems for thousands of websites and apps.
While few services went down completely, thousands, if not tens of thousands, of companies had trouble with features ranging from file sharing to webfeeds to loading any type of data from Amazon's "simple storage service," known as S3. Amazon services began returning around 4 p.m. EST, and an hour later the company noted on its service site that S3 was fully recovered and "operating normally."
THE CONCENTRATED CLOUD
The breakdown shows the risks of depending heavily on a few big companies for cloud computing. Amazon's service is significantly larger by revenue than any of its nearest rivals — Microsoft's Azure, Google's Cloud Platform and IBM, according to Forrester Research.
With so few large providers, any outage can have a disproportionate effect. But some analysts argue that the Amazon outage doesn't prove there's a problem with cloud computing — it just highlights how reliable the cloud normally is.
The outage, said Forrester analyst Dave Bartoletti, shouldn't cause companies to assume "the cloud is dangerous."
Amazon's problems began when one S3 region based in Virginia began to experience what the company called "increased error rates." In a statement, Amazon said as of 4 p.m. EST it was still experiencing errors that were "impacting various AWS services."
"We are working hard at repairing S3, believe we understand root cause, and are working on implementing what we believe will remediate the issue," the company said.
WHY S3 MATTERS
Amazon S3 stores files and data for companies on remote servers. Amazon started offering it in 2006, and it's used for everything from building websites and apps to storing images, customer data and commercial transactions.
"Anything you can think about storing in the most cost-effective way possible," is how Rich Mogull, CEO of data security firm Securosis, puts it.
Since Amazon hasn't said exactly what is happening yet, it's hard to know just how serious the outage is. "We do know it's bad," Mogull said. "We just don't know how bad."
At S3 customers, the problem affected both "front-end" operations — meaning the websites and apps that users see — and back-end data processing that takes place out of sight. Some smaller online services, such as Trello, Scribd and IFTTT, appeared to be down for a while, although all have since recovered.
The corporate message service Slack, by contrast, stayed up, although it reported "degraded service " for some features. Users reported that file sharing in particular appeared to freeze up.
The Associated Press' own photos, webfeeds and other online services were also affected.
TECHNICAL KNOCKOUTAGE
Major cloud-computing outages don't occur very often — perhaps every year or two — but they do happen. In 2015, Amazon's DynamoDB service, a cloud-based database, had problems that affected companies like Netflix and Medium. But usually providers have workarounds that can get things working again quickly.
"What's really surprising to me is that there's no fallback — usually there is some sort of backup plan to move data over, and it will be made available within a few minutes," said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy.
AFTEREFFECTS
Forrester's Bartoletti said the problems on Tuesday could lead to some Amazon customers storing their data on Amazon's servers in more than one location, or even shifting to other providers.
"A lot more large companies could look at their application architecture and ask 'how could we have insulated ourselves a little bit more,'" he said. But he added, "I don't think it fundamentally changes how incredibly reliable the S3 service has been."

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You might have been getting the hints the machines were tossing out that they were about to go poof

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Still having this problem

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
nope, still get jerked all around, freeze, and even had the freeze up but yet everything else still moves happen at my house...

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seriously--I can barely play...reminds me of the regular lagfests that were a staple during year 1....

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Still having problems. First terrible lag > freeze > disconnect > can't log back in > restart client > grey world and either bones or no body left. Strange thing is LOTR online runs fine, no lagging at all. So I can't blame century link.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you guys gotta contact Mesanna cause I don't think she likes me a whole lot ;)

I'm pretty sure I'm not on her Christmas list either...but guess what, I lived for 45 years without being there, I can survive without it again lol. At least I can get me a rainbow unicorn now...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know I'm not either... so I know I can't help you... I also know I'm on Bleaks ignore list so... sorry.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Today we got the wind storm from Hell so either the power cuts out or the internet goes out. Then in a minute it's back. We got like 90K people outta power around here last I checked. My roof is old also and there's shingles all over the yard so there goes 6K. But we needed a roof anyway. So I knew that was coming. Last spring after a storm I had to replace like 10 shingles. It's time. God doesn't want me to be able to play UO.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So I uninstalled and reinstalled client)--still lagged but now I get "you can not pick that up" message as well:(

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Finally--after client reinstall, many reboots, etc. things seem to be working again----lost about three weeks of playing trying to get it fixed. Hoping others with this problem have gotten theirs resolved too.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I keep thinking I'm good then something really weird happens. But this kinda thing always motivates me to update all my drivers and such :)

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm right there with you on updating the drivers! But I think i'm to the point of just buying and building a whole new computer.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well one thing I noticed tonight was I was looting and couldn't pick anything up. I'm down in the dungeon when this started and didn't want to leave. After awhile I gave up and went to recall. Something like "you can't recall with something on your mouse pointer". Don't remember exactly what it said. A gem I had looted had fell off my pointer and was sitting on my paper doll on the way to my pack. So I hovered over it again and was able to get it and drop it in my pack and then everything was fine again. So UO is doing some weird stuff. Maybe when they messed with the screen resolutions?