• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Voting Fix

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes
2013 Jun 13 00:03 GMT
Greetings everyone,

We have put out a fix for the voting issuethe players have been experiencing. After maintenance tomorrow the issue should be corrected. Thank you for your patience while we fix this problem.

Good luck everyone!!

UO Team

Continue reading...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm hoping that means it will fix it when the stone gets to where you can click it but when you try to view the candidates you can't.... and therefore you can't vote..... I know the stone in New Magincia on Chessy has been broke since Monday far as I know.

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping that means it will fix it when the stone gets to where you can click it but when you try to view the candidates you can't.... and therefore you can't vote..... I know the stone in New Magincia on Chessy has been broke since Monday far as I know.
Was able to see it all this afternoon on New Magencia

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sean, I can see the categories list on the Atlantic New Magincia Trammel stone. I cannot see list of candidates or seem to be able to vote. How do we vote? Was told two players are running. The EM here said this is important and so far I have believed all he said. So! How do I vote?

T

Tazar

You first need to declare loyalty to that city, then you can access the stone.
The Atlantic New Magincia and Jhelom stones are still broken. Loyalty is declared. You can 2x click the stone to get the original gump. You can select the candidate screen to vote - and the gump with the list of candidates never appears. You can not vote at these two stones.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can access the Atlantic New Magincia Trammel stone. I see the list on it. I am adored there. There is no box to click and vote is the problem.

I have a character adored in Yew and one in Trinsic. I can vote off those city stones. I was told that the New Magincia stone worked at one time and votes were cast. Will only those votes count for a winner? I hope not. Please fix the stone.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, insert your favorite facepalm picture here. Wasn't this supposed to have been fixed? The one stone I'm competing on is fortunately ok.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All these problems in UO voting seem amazingly realistic compared to voting irl.
Thank you DEVs for adding an element of reality into our game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah supposedly fixed but not... perhaps by the next election it will be truly fixed.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All these problems in UO voting seem amazingly realistic compared to voting irl.
Thank you DEVs for adding an element of reality into our game.
After the poll results are in, the NPCs will start rioting again... maybe. The occupy New Magincia movement is in full swing!

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After the poll results are in, the NPCs will start rioting again... maybe. The occupy New Magincia movement is in full swing!

We're here to keep the peace! The guards will start accepting donations via the crates: tear gas bottles from alchemists, and water cannons from tinkerer-carpenters.

atinycow

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Welp, a bunch of goldseller Luna types successfully bought vanity titles. (Not that I begrudge them, what else is this system supposed to be for?) Now to sit around watching the EMs clumsily try to integrate them into whatever they're doing.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welp, a bunch of goldseller Luna types successfully bought vanity titles. (Not that I begrudge them, what else is this system supposed to be for?) Now to sit around watching the EMs clumsily try to integrate them into whatever they're doing.

I was only able to see one result before I had other things to do, but it was not a goldselling Luna type.

So are you sure you are not doing that usual thing you've done for years where periodically you make a wildly exaggerated statement and pass it off as incontrovertible fact?

-Galen's player

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know for a fact that most of the winners on Atlantic do not sell gold, nor do they sit in Luna. Most are vets that have played UO for a long time and continue to actually play. They are a good group and plan to work together to better Sosaria. I am proud to be a member of the first council on Atlantic, and Honored that people voted me to do so. The system was created to do more than give out fancy titles, set aide your jealousy and become a part of UO. It's still a fun game if you know where to look..

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know for a fact that most of the winners on Atlantic do not sell gold, nor do they sit in Luna. Most are vets that have played UO for a long time and continue to actually play. They are a good group and plan to work together to better Sosaria.

Same on Chesapeake.......

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same on Chesapeake.......

Great Lakes' Event Moderators have posted the winners' list here:

http://stratics.com/community/threads/council-meeting-friday-june-28th-8-p-m-cdt.300759/

and, you know what, I can't rule out that some of them might have sold gold at some point. I mean I think even if I were one of them I've sold gold twice, now that I think about it.

But I know at least 3 of the GL winners, probably know more than that, and the claim made is based on the actual results ridiculous prima facie.

Oh well. Yet another ridiculously exaggerated claim passed off as incontrovertible fact on Stratics. So what else is new?

-Galen's player

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not know who has sold gold in UO. I have no way of ever knowing this.
I do know this... I never got the chance to vote in the Atlantic Trammel New Magincia election. I never saw the candidates list. As said I am adored there, have been since early in this event cycle.

I heard that the stone worked via a Gm sometimes. There was no sign saying to page if it was broken.
I do not know anyone personally who was a New Magincia candidate.

If all votes could not be counted why was there a winner declared? Why not shut that election down until the stone worked for everyone?
I am just tired of making excuses for my game... o' wells its UO, stuff happens... not anymore.

Do it fair or not at all.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The New Mag stone on Atlantic worked for the first several days and then broke. I paged a GM and found Jotid in Yew. After he fixed yew p, he then came and met me at New Mag. Jotid tried to fix the stone but could not and had to push it up the ladder. Evidently it could not be fixed, so the votes that we're cast we're the ones used to decide. Hopefully they will fix the problem before the next election.

I've read the books that have been placed around and heard the complaints of GM fixing ect ect, and am saddened by the state of uo. When something goes a way that a Person does not want, automatically someone has a GM in their back pocket. Conspiracy theories abound and those who feel wronged resort to ugly accusations on unfounded facts.

Take a step back, take a stiff drink, wait 90 days and run again. Don't blame the opposition for things out of their control, and make up untruths to besmirch their good name.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've read the books that have been placed around and heard the complaints of GM fixing ect ect, and am saddened by the state of uo. When something goes a way that a Person does not want, automatically someone has a GM in their back pocket. Conspiracy theories abound and those who feel wronged resort to ugly accusations on unfounded facts.

Take a step back, take a stiff drink, wait 90 days and run again. Don't blame the opposition for things out of their control, and make up untruths to besmirch their good name.
We ran a trial of direct voting online on Europa for Lord Protector, and quickly found it degenerated into who could find the most people with trading accounts and cross shard item collecting characters... a lot of ill will was generated by watching waves of 20 or more identical, let's call them "Bob" characters recall into the voting box, leave, and "Bob 2" appear. I pointed this out when the system was announced, the threads detailing the developing disgust are still on the Europa forums and I linked to them, but the Devs were determined to push ahead with the idea all the same.

The actual test of whether the system has generated actual serious candidates will come when you see how many of them bother to turn up to engage in the Council meetings with Lord Blackthorn. That many shards will get actual committed Governors may be more to do with a combination of low player numbers, and the fact that Red PKs can't access the bonuses at all due to needing to claim it in Trammel, so few except the genuine roleplayers bothered. We'll see.

However... At least two people on Europa were calling up traders on Atlantic to use their alts on Europa to manipulate the Yew elections a few hours before deadline; I know this for a fact because one of them told me directly they'd been doing it after claiming they'd got characters stealthed at the stones to watch the results, and had seen the other candidate bringing a trail of bot accounts to vote, and felt the election needed de-rigging. I have no idea if the previous results actually were manipulated; but I personally was the candidate those retaliatory votes went too. I neither asked anyone to do this, nor wanted to see the elections turn into a personal peeing contest, and was actually off making a video for Stratics posters on piracy during the final day, and was asleep when the drama kicked off. I did however see that every time I got an honest lead, the votes would suddenly gain around a 10% lead to my opponent. On the final night that I'd swung around 15% points ahead in votes by about midnight... and I know now exactly who got them onto my tally, because it was explained the next day ... and also that I then woke up to reams of ICQ messages from 4 of the other governors outraged about the manipulation in the last 3 hours of voting that had counter-acted it.

The two individuals involved had a blazing argument about it in General chat whilst I was asleep, with the eventual winner apparently threatening to "destroy you" the other... which will be interesting as the other side of the squabble won a number of the other seats. The only hope, which I suspect is likely to prove a fact, is that the winner in Yew probably won't come to EM events, because they've not been to any of them in the last 3 years that I've been there.

Appeals would already have been made to King Blackthorn, so the other Governors stated... except we have no EMs to do so. So I was told, again via ICQ, they've already escalated up to Mesanna. Do you want to know the worst part of this horrible mess? I'm aware of a few applicants for the vacant EM position. And some of them are the same individuals again.

Disgusted with the UO community? You're not even close to what I'm feeling about it all now. They should never have bothered with an election system with bonuses that appeal to the win-at-all-costs pvp types and mixed it with the roleplaying framework. Doing it at the same time the EM program started to fall apart was an added element of bad luck... but even so, the roleplay and community spirit on Europa is going to be absolutely atrocious for some time because of these elections. And it was so, so easily avoided.

Run again in 90 days? I wish I was so utterly naive I could wake up and just imagine a much nicer world where every individual was somehow a swing voter in a computer game; "Oh, 90 days later and I suddenly feel a Swing Speed Increase isn't actually useful after all! So I won't just ask the same people again and get identical vote totals a second time, or use the same dubious antics to 'destroy' my opponents."

No wait, correct that; there will be some change. The decent people will drop out with disgust, just leaving either relatively unopposed roleplayers, or the continuing arses who lack the finer human emotions and are determined to stay in and "win" for their side. You know, just like real life, where we live in an arseocracy where the worst rise to the top. I know I personally don't feel like going through the whole charade again in 90 days just to have my name dragged into the mud with the same filth, and then lose anyway.

And pity the poor sod who becomes Europa's EM and has to sort all of that out. Or worse... they employ one of the chief combatants themselves.

Last edited:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
" The votes that were cast were the ones used to decide". Really. Maybe a sign placed saying this would have been nice. So I would not try and try to vote?
It is still not fair.

I saw the book. I read the book. I thought the book was not fair. I also thought the author sure cared about winning. Hopefully he/she won't care so much before the next election.

The Atlantic Em said many times that the elections were important. Due to my respect for him I tried to participate. I did not want to, not really.The Em did his part, I tried to do mine. The dev team did not.
I do not understand how the dev team let this slide. It was not a big secret that the Atlantic Trammel New Magincia stone was broken.

This situation hurt real people. Not their characters. I will never tolerate that, or waiting till the next time to get it right.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say wait 90 days and run again, In hopes that the system will be fixed. Hope that the stone problems will be fixed, and the way we vote adjusted in a just and fair manner.

The best way to do this is to provide ideas in the hope that the Devs will read and implement some of them for the next election cycle.

I did not like the way you could just declare citizenship and vote, but you have to start somewhere. So throw out some ideas on how the system can be tweaked in order to make it more fair.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am very interested to see how many other Governors show up to the meeting on ATL.

I know ill be there

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6 of us showed up the night the voting ended and went from stone to stone.. We tried to speak with you, but you were afk it seems.. I'm sure all will be at the council meeting.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I saw the book. I read the book. I thought the book was not fair. I also thought the author sure cared about winning. Hopefully he/she won't care so much before the next election.
Maybe its just me but after reading the book "The Author" is the LAST person I would ever want to see as a Governor for Any City on ANY Shard. The way they are handling the situation shows exactly what type of Leader they would be and what a destablizing presence they would have on the Council. Could you imagine another city getting something before theirs? I bet books would be lining city streets calling His Royal Highness King Blackthorn bias and in someones pouch pocket. We have enough Chicago Politicians in real life we don't need them in Ultima Online as well.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor

We have enough Chicago Politicians in real life we don't need them in Ultima Online as well."
LOL :thumbsup: I love that comment. Its a shame so many folks have no clue how old that term truly is, how vile the actions were & still are, or what the reference even means. Not saying folks posting here..... but people as a populous. If only.....

It still gave me a hardy chuckle Sir, ty :) .

On a side note, I didn't read 'the book'. I didn't care about the elections. I hate politics and most politicians mainly because of 'Chicago Politics'. But, that's not what folks wanna read in this thread so I'll stfu now. ;)

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
LOL :thumbsup: I love that comment. Its a shame so many folks have no clue how old that term truly is, how vile the actions were & still are, or what the reference even means. Not saying folks posting here..... but people as a populous. If only.....

It still gave me a hardy chuckle Sir, ty :) .

On a side note, I didn't read 'the book'. I didn't care about the elections. I hate politics and most politicians mainly because of 'Chicago Politics'. But, that's not what folks wanna read in this thread so I'll stfu now. ;)

According to my campaign poster I am an honest politician

(I am Lord Gareth and I approved the true parts of this message)