• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Valentine’s Day Comes Early

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings everyone, The UO Team would like to wish each and every one of you a very Happy Valentine’s Day! To Celebrate this year the team has left a little present in Malas at the Luna Bank. The reward giver will be active for 5 days only so do not delay! *bear hugs and kisses* UO Team

Continue reading...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Isn't it supposed to make this swirly smoke thing? I seem to remember Kyronix demonstrating that at the party with flourishing hand motions....or was that something else?? Or does it do that and I am just not loved enough :( lol

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't it supposed to make this swirly smoke thing? I seem to remember Kyronix demonstrating that at the party with flourishing hand motions....or was that something else?? Or does it do that and I am just not loved enough :( lol
Double click the table to light the candle and watch it for a few seconds. This animation isn't played at warp 13.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This gift really wasn't my thing. Although it seems to have been done well and I'm sure many will like it. I do kinda like the box but I'm not sure what I would do with it. I might try putting Sherry the Mouse on the pillow box and give her a nice new bed lol Too bad we couldn't get the clicky statue, I liked that a lot better :) Although I have a hard time thinking of a lovey dovey heart holiday gift I actually would like lol Maybe some kind of banner or tapestry. I'm a sucker for those.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Double click the table to light the candle and watch it for a few seconds. This animation isn't played at warp 13.
Ohhhh NOW I see it.....sorta.....it's VERY small.....but nice that it's slower! Hard to see on my white tile floor though

vlantine.jpg

Can you see it???? No?? Neither can I lol but it's super cute! :) Thanks Team and Happy Valentine's Day to you all :heart:

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It has been a few years since we have received a valentine gift, so Thank You very much for the "Love this year!" :heart:
I really like the table and chairs and the pillow box, great job on the artwork. :) Also, the fact it is 1 per account is awesome!

Happy Valentines Everyone! :smooch:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone tried dying them with natural dyes? I tried a furniture dye tub on one with no luck, but haven't tried natural dyes yet and I don't have an extra to test it on at the moment.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The artwork is really nice but... why 4 chairs in a valentine gift? Does that seem strange or have I been "celebrating" valentine's wrong all these years?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am pleased they are separate items. For some reason I had expected it to be an all in one deed.

It's a cute idea.

I am also pleased that it was announced well. People found it before the announcement, sure, but that's actually good--it means they had them ready and deployed before making an announcement that could confuse or frustrate people. Better to be sure it's all working and ready first and announce after.

However... and I hate to be that guy again, but...

Again with the circle tops? Why?

Here is the current ingame art (left) and a quick and dirty photoshop (OK, MS Paint) of closer to what it should have looked like (right), with a brazier (closest thing we have to that table base that I could think of offhand) for reference:

Screenshot (217).png

One of these things is not like the others:

Screenshot (218).png

Note the ovals. The brazier top is an oval. The classic stool and Magincia throne seats are ovals. Heck, the table top on the Valentine set is an oval! They are not full circles. So why is the Valentine chair seat a circle?

The table is usable--I think the legs could stand to be squished down a little, but it's okay as is. However, the chair looks like you're going to slide right out of it, or possibly were recently launched out of it.

In the EC, you do look like you're sliding out of it...

uo_valpatchairs.png

So while I appreciate the sentiment of a gift and the cute idea behind these, I very much doubt I'll use them. They just don't fit next to the old art, especially the chairs, and I don't think I can effectively mask that fact with other items.

sundial.png

Recall the sundials. Original on left, my mockup before they changed them on the right. There was a reason people were so unhappy with these. It's way more obvious on something like the sundial than it is on the Valentines chairs, but the principle is the same--a full circle just doesn't look right as the top of a round surface in UO. This has happened often enough that I can't not see it, and it has happened often enough that it shouldn't still be happening.

The style choices made by the original art team are still not being honored in the new art. While it may not be nearly as obvious on some things as on others, the consistent departure from the original style choices makes UO look less and less like a coherent world.

Revenant

Visitor
Here is the current ingame art (left) and a quick and dirty photoshop (OK, MS Paint) of closer to what it should have looked like (right), with a brazier (closest thing we have to that table base that I could think of offhand) for reference:
I'm sure you don't need me to say this, but yours is so much better.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I must need new glasses. I just went thru Luna bank and saw no gift giver. In fact what I did see is holiday stuff all over - snowmen, wreaths, garlands, lights, etc. C'mon ... let's get a little cleanup, please.

Unfortunately tonight I leave until Monday. So I miss out on something special again. Oh well. I'll just go eat worms or something.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Top of Luna wall. Go in stable and up stairs.

The EM has to clean that stuff up. Ours just got cleaned yesterday.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
dunno if this is a bug or not but one of my accounts did not get a gift

I was on a flyer garg toon and even though the gifts are 90 stones , wasnt overweight limit and I could not get mine.
when I clicked nothing happened, so I tried another char and got the message "you are unable to receive a gift at this time"

Not a big deal for me as I have multiple accounts but just be careful if you go to collect your reward.

upload_2018-2-13_19-23-52.png

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Lake Austin's is upstairs across from the bank. Use the stairs at the stable go up both sets of stairs. I'll add a picture when I get back on my lap top.

cklicky map.jpg valentine clicky.jpg

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
dunno if this is a bug or not but one of my accounts did not get a gift

I was on a flyer garg toon and even though the gifts are 90 stones , wasnt overweight limit and I could not get mine.
when I clicked nothing happened, so I tried another char and got the message "you are unable to receive a gift at this time"

Not a big deal for me as I have multiple accounts but just be careful if you go to collect your reward.

View attachment 77531
I had this problem on Atlantic - and only on Atlantic - on both accounts - "you are unable to get a gift at this time" - was it because there were too many characters standing on top of the statue doing nothing but standing around getting in the way (typical Atlantic ********)?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I must need new glasses. I just went thru Luna bank and saw no gift giver. In fact what I did see is holiday stuff all over - snowmen, wreaths, garlands, lights, etc. C'mon ... let's get a little cleanup, please.

Unfortunately tonight I leave until Monday. So I miss out on something special again. Oh well. I'll just go eat worms or something.
Did you get it? It's up the stairs in the stables, then immediately up another set of stairs to the roof, then to the left

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Did you get it? It's up the stairs in the stables, then immediately up another set of stairs to the roof, then to the left
Yup ... just as I was gonna shutdown I saw the notes. What confused me (I take things literally I guess) is that EA says "Malas at the Luna Bank" ... soooo, I was at the bank. I was NOT at the walltop opposite the bank entrance by the moongate! Yeesh.

To all who responded ... thank you for the pointers! Now I'm outta here for a few days! Toodles!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had this problem on Atlantic - and only on Atlantic - on both accounts - "you are unable to get a gift at this time" - was it because there were too many characters standing on top of the statue doing nothing but standing around getting in the way (typical Atlantic ********)?
Anybody else have this happen on Atlantic? Just me?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure why you would get that message if you haven't claimed yet on that shard with that particular account. But you will definitely get that message if you try to get a gift with another character on the same shard and on the same account. (It's one gift per account per shard.)
I only tried one character for each account - no problem on any other shard, but it was a particularly crowded mess around the statue on Atlantic - maybe that mixed something up - oh, well, I got it on other shards

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
again shame it wasnt a slight diff hue for the candle at least for each diff shard..oh well a chance lost...for some serious team building cross-sharding uo trades

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings everyone, The UO Team would like to wish each and every one of you a very Happy Valentine’s Day! To Celebrate this year the team has left a little present in Malas at the Luna Bank. The reward giver will be active for 5 days only so do not delay! *bear hugs and kisses* UO Team

Continue reading...
Totally loving the valentine gift, love how the candle sends a heart up above it.... thank you Devs x

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does watch it for a few moments it sends a heart smoke signal up :)

Tia

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pleased they are separate items. For some reason I had expected it to be an all in one deed.

It's a cute idea.

I am also pleased that it was announced well. People found it before the announcement, sure, but that's actually good--it means they had them ready and deployed before making an announcement that could confuse or frustrate people. Better to be sure it's all working and ready first and announce after.

However... and I hate to be that guy again, but...

Again with the circle tops? Why?

View attachment 77529

One of these things is not like the others:

View attachment 77524

Note the ovals. The brazier top is an oval. The classic stool and Magincia throne seats are ovals. Heck, the table top on the Valentine set is an oval! They are not full circles. So why is the Valentine chair seat a circle?

The table is usable--I think the legs could stand to be squished down a little, but it's okay as is. However, the chair looks like you're going to slide right out of it, or possibly were recently launched out of it.

In the EC, you do look like you're sliding out of it...

View attachment 77530

So while I appreciate the sentiment of a gift and the cute idea behind these, I very much doubt I'll use them. They just don't fit next to the old art, especially the chairs, and I don't think I can effectively mask that fact with other items.

View attachment 77525

Recall the sundials. Original on left, my mockup before they changed them on the right. There was a reason people were so unhappy with these. It's way more obvious on something like the sundial than it is on the Valentines chairs, but the principle is the same--a full circle just doesn't look right as the top of a round surface in UO. This has happened often enough that I can't not see it, and it has happened often enough that it shouldn't still be happening.

The style choices made by the original art team are still not being honored in the new art. While it may not be nearly as obvious on some things as on others, the consistent departure from the original style choices makes UO look less and less like a coherent world.
Wow some people .... at least the devs gave us a gift this year they didnt for a couple of years give any thing ..many are happy and grateful for the lovely gift.. i know i am

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow some people .... at least the devs gave us a gift this year they didnt for a couple of years give any thing ..many are happy and grateful for the lovely gift.. i know i am
True, I am happy that they made gift this year again.

But you have to agree, it's strange that professional artists do not know how to implement something as basic as perspective...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Riyana I didn't really notice until you showed that picture, granted I hadn't taken them out of the container yet as I needed to re-arrange the roof a bit first....I don't know why there is such a big problem with getting the right perspective, did it change during the last 20 years?! :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The artwork is really nice but... why 4 chairs in a valentine gift? Does that seem strange or have I been "celebrating" valentine's wrong all these years?
You don't exchange heart furniture with your better half on Valentine's Day?????

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Indeed you have, If you live in the Uk and shop at Asda.....you can buy 3 valentines cards and get the 4th free....????? lol :hahaha:

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Anybody else have this happen on Atlantic? Just me?
I had that problem. First click on cupid, got that message. Confused, tried again, got that message again. Searched my pack wondering if the gift had dropped in invisible or buried at the bottom or something the first time. Nothing. Tried a third time, and a plush red heart appeared in my pack. Don't know why the first two times I got that message. If I were you, I would go try Atlantic again-- it still might give it to you.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*graciously accepts the gift*
Thank you Mesanna and Team. It's beautiful and I love it!
*hugs*

Reactions: Tia

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Strange they remembers Valentine's Day this year but completely missed it in 2017 as well as the July 4th holiday. Personally, the best part of this one is the red heart shaped pillow.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Strange they remembers Valentine's Day this year but completely missed it in 2017 as well as the July 4th holiday. Personally, the best part of this one is the red heart shaped pillow.
It was strange they missed it last year, true. But hooray for them remembering it this year.

When it comes to July 4th tho... That is just a national holiday, whereas Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentines Day are celebrated in many parts of the world.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It was strange they missed it last year, true. But hooray for them remembering it this year.

When it comes to July 4th tho... That is just a national holiday, whereas Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Valentines Day are celebrated in many parts of the world.
Like Boys and Girls day? :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I could not get a gift on Atlantic as well...tried a couple of days in a row with all the characters on my account.
I had the same issue with 2 of my accounts on Atl the statue told me they had already received a gift and I couldn't get another... but I never got anything at all... either that or it's an invisible table and chairs in a pillow set and I'm the luckiest on 2 accounts... if only I could find them I'm sure I could sell them for several plat.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
either that or it's an invisible table and chairs in a pillow set and I'm the luckiest on 2 accounts... if only I could find them I'm sure I could sell them for several plat.
Let me know how that goes. I also have some invisible deco items for sale.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to bump,

Is there only one design of table and chairs? Or multiple? Only seeing the same one.

Not complaining, just wondering as I want a full set of designs if there are more.

Thank you :)