• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Two Open Event Moderator Positions

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good afternoon everyone, I have two open event moderator positions, one on Formosa and one on Chesapeake. If you are creative and might be interested in joining the EM Team please send me an Event you would like to do. Include a back story, the type of monsters you would like to incorporate, and a reward you would like to give out. You must be 18 years old to sign a contract. I will also need to know your account name and a little background as to the types of characters you play. Please send your events to [email protected], I […]

Continue reading...

DJ Diddles

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone know if Balhae has a new EM? Obviously it isn't listed here, but Balhae and Formosa shared an EM (Takako) and when he left at the beginning of the year both shards were left without an EM. As far as I'm aware and see on the Korean sites, it doesn't look like Balhae has someone yet.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Off topic but curious - how does being an EM even work? Does that person have the ability to manipulate pixels to create whatever monsters, bosses loot and drops he/she wants?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
On a side note.... they've been advertising for a software engineer on the patcher gump for like a year now. So does that job really suck or what? lol

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Good luck to all who apply! :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So should a hacking PvPer "try hard" apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Off topic but curious - how does being an EM even work? Does that person have the ability to manipulate pixels to create whatever monsters, bosses loot and drops he/she wants?
No they don't... Mesanna does that... The EM's basically come up with the story, suggest what sort of mobs they need... boss etc... and drop if there is one. Mesanna/the team decide if this is appropriate... do what they can and then facilitate the mobs and set it up... I think the EMs can make craftable things but are not allowed anymore to make even any GM named stuff which IMO is just silly I still treasure some of the early pieces I got (they aren't worth anything as far as I'm concerned) that the EMs made in the early days of the program with special named crafters whatever.. anyway it's not like it can't be reproduced or whatever.... at any rate... they aren't allowed anymore. Anything they need beyond that I think they have to request.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
I don't get why an EM has to be creative. I would expect one EM to come up with an original idea, and all the others to just plain copy that script.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Broadsword couldn't keep up with my events...they want RP, stroll through set area, kill X monster, RP, Kill Boss, Get loot...too basic!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
No they don't... Mesanna does that... The EM's basically come up with the story, suggest what sort of mobs they need... boss etc... and drop if there is one. Mesanna/the team decide if this is appropriate... do what they can and then facilitate the mobs and set it up... I think the EMs can make craftable things but are not allowed anymore to make even any GM named stuff which IMO is just silly I still treasure some of the early pieces I got (they aren't worth anything as far as I'm concerned) that the EMs made in the early days of the program with special named crafters whatever.. anyway it's not like it can't be reproduced or whatever.... at any rate... they aren't allowed anymore. Anything they need beyond that I think they have to request.
Avalon use to recruit people and create mobs to see how it worked out lol. So I assume she could create mobs if she wished.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the EMs can make craftable things but are not allowed anymore to make even any GM named stuff which IMO is just silly I still treasure some of the early pieces I got (they aren't worth anything as far as I'm concerned) that the EMs made in the early days of the program with special named crafters whatever.. anyway it's not like it can't be reproduced or whatever.... at any rate... they aren't allowed anymore. Anything they need beyond that I think they have to request.
I wish the EMs were allowed to create rewards for player events, for instance, if we supplied the wood, they could create a shortbow named "<shardname> Halloween carnival archery contest, 1st place!" or similar. What would that hurt? And not picking on any one class in particular, but it amazes me how the common average player doing events cant get that kind of support...but certain playstyles get blessed and grouped houses, etc etc.

Why not assist every one to make their endeavors noteworthy?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish the EMs were allowed to create rewards for player events, for instance, if we supplied the wood, they could create a shortbow named "<shardname> Halloween carnival archery contest, 1st place!" or similar. What would that hurt? And not picking on any one class in particular, but it amazes me how the common average player doing events cant get that kind of support...but certain playstyles get blessed and grouped houses, etc etc.

Why not assist every one to make their endeavors noteworthy?
Because some sap who is a complete jerk-wad will complain about "favoritism" when they don't get something and cry and piss and moan about it till they ruin everything for everyone... Even though this person is extremely disruptive and rude they will demand to get items and be completely obnoxious and if given anything will then turn around and attempt to sell said item for insane amounts of gold... Now in my opinion I think that you should be able to "earn" rewards for doing things like providing entertainment for the shard, hosting events and such and promoting community... things like a shirt with the name of your organization and event... or a sash or something of that nature... nothing with properties or anything but just some nice little item... seriously what would it hurt? I agree with you 100%. Hell they could make them shard bound and blessed for that person so they can't put it on a vendor etc... But to be fair most EMs have an "award hall" were they put things labeled that say so-and-so got 1st place in the archery contest 2014 etc...

It's like this.... we spent a VERY long time putting together and holding a PvP tournament that lasted a whole year with 4 qualifying rounds and then a "final" with the qualifiers etc... and all we asked for was to have Mesanna give them a title saying they were the winner... sounds simple enough yes???

Well we were told NO... so no matter what we players do to bring entertainment to the rest of the shard etc.. we will NEVER get help and NEVER get anything besides the PEC who can't really do squat... and no prizes to give beyond that which we create. I think we were finally able to have a trophy labeled and put in Blackthrons.. but that took a lot of work. Pretty sure we made our own trophies out of craftable statues dyed and engraved... you can ask Dot I'm sure she'd know.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On a side note.... they've been advertising for a software engineer on the patcher gump for like a year now. So does that job really suck or what? lol
I'm assuming the issue they are having is that the ideal candidate for a job like that would be a young person right out of college who knows all the best and brightest ways to do things... but taking a job like that one would be career suicide to any new person. UO is such an old game that if they agreed to work for UO, then 2 years later the game shuts down, they have no modern day game development experience to help them get a new job since UO is such a dinosaur compared to most games. It would be like a typewriting expert from the 1950's applying for a job at Microsoft.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hm, then it sounds like EM events eat up a lot of developer time that could be spent on other things, if you get my drift

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM are not allowed to play the shard their an EM on.

The composition is minium.

They are only allowed, so many hours a month for events.

Their is one pixel crack drop a month. Mesanna has to approve it.

They have to play Blackthorn.

Then there are the whinning players

No thanks!

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM are not allowed to play the shard their an EM on.

The composition is minium.

They are only allowed, so many hours a month for events.

Their is one pixel crack drop a month. Mesanna has to approve it.

They have to play Blackthorn.

Then there are the whinning players

No thanks!
What if you play all the shards..you're unemployable :O so hermits ftw!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What if you play all the shards..you're unemployable :O so hermits ftw!

That's actually something that has become a real problem with the EM system. Originally it was easy to find people for each shard since most people only played 1 or 2 shards. These days since the majority of eventers play all shards to increase their chances of getting rares, and they are also the people most likely to want to become an EM since they like events.... it's very hard to find them a shard where they won't be tempted to help the people they know on that shard.

When it's impossible to find a shard they don't already play on the EM has to sign an agreement to stop playing that shard on their real account (which can be tracked). That's the way it was a couple years ago at least.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
I don't get why an EM has to be creative. I would expect one EM to come up with an original idea, and all the others to just plain copy that script.
This.

Get the best EMs to design great events and let the other EMs run/manage them. Each month get each EM to submit ideas to the boss, Mesanna, and then those events are run across all the shards. That way we dont get moaning about inactivity on some shards,. and more activity on others :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This.

Get the best EMs to design great events and let the other EMs run/manage them. Each month get each EM to submit ideas to the boss, Mesanna, and then those events are run across all the shards. That way we dont get moaning about inactivity on some shards,. and more activity on others :)
The big problem with that is there are groups that figure out the event and move to other shards to control them.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There is a large number of people who have a toon or two on every shard for purpose of doing the various EM events. If all shards ran the same event each week/month, it would probably have a significant negative impact on that community.

And as noted above, once you do a global event on one shard, folks learn how to do it and then go and dominate the action on all subsequent offerings of the event on the other shards. This is likely inevitable and it happens whenever they do a global event, but it would quickly get boring if ALL weekly EM events were like this too.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a large number of people who have a toon or two on every shard for purpose of doing the various EM events. If all shards ran the same event each week/month, it would probably have a significant negative impact on that community.

And as noted above, once you do a global event on one shard, folks learn how to do it and then go and dominate the action on all subsequent offerings of the event on the other shards. This is likely inevitable and it happens whenever they do a global event, but it would quickly get boring if ALL weekly EM events were like this too.
Aren't they pretty much like this now, more or less? There's some variation in the spawn and the story arcs, but that's it - one event I did on...I think it was Chessy had the Tormented Minotaurs at the end, which was painful. A bunch of tamers and dexers show up (which was also true years ago), plow through everything until the boss is spawned, everyone dies a few times. Repeat until boss is killed and people get the drop (if there is one)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you really wanted to throw a wrench in the multiboxers (not multiclienters) you could put all east or west coast shard events on the same night at the same time...

All east coast shards event at 8pm on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday.

All west coast shards event a 8pm on the 1st and 3rd Thursday.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you really wanted to throw a wrench in the multiboxers (not multiclienters) you could put all east or west coast shard events on the same night at the same time...

All east coast shards event at 8pm on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday.

All west coast shards event a 8pm on the 1st and 3rd Thursday.
I can just imagine the furious clicking and button mashing as they try to play 8 different shards simultaneously while staring at this and quickly sliding back and forth across the room in their chair every 10 seconds.

It would be spectacular.

pano.jpg

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Conspiracy theory alert.... fair warning.

Imagine they already have two people in mind... they are just mining the customer base for their ideas so they dont have to write stories themselves.... I fully expect to see my story done soon. :)

Collusion.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can just imagine the furious clicking and button mashing as they try to play 8 different shards simultaneously while staring at this and quickly sliding back and forth across the room in their chair every 10 seconds.

It would be spectacular.

View attachment 54555
OH MAN. I TOTALLY WANT THAT SETUP. I don't even know how I'll make it work, but damnit, I will find a way!

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to paste in a quote here.

But how about the same general story/mechanics/role play/backstory/writing with different locations/mobs?

That would ensure quality story telling and a high standard of events without making them too easy to conquer?

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to say the EM Program is the most innovative thing in any MMO - I would love to see the standards equalized and the bar as high as possible :)