• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] The Mountain King

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh my....these titans! Flooding Vesper and now Lithos' and his undead horde taking over Skara?

Bring it on!!!! ;)

Great fiction, as usual!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sounds like it would be a great idea to get the Heart of the Earth before it becomes impossible.
Not sure if it will be more difficult or not to get the Key Of The Caretaker or not. On Test Center the island never increased in spawn from what it is now. There was also a huge black tower thing in the cove area on the West side of the island as well. Just speculation on my part but that may be where the bulk of the fighting could be.. that part was never active on Test that I saw

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
That's the Well of Souls...

NOT the one from Indiana Jones :/

:)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if it will be more difficult or not to get the Key Of The Caretaker or not. On Test Center the island never increased in spawn from what it is now. There was also a huge black tower thing in the cove area on the West side of the island as well. Just speculation on my part but that may be where the bulk of the fighting could be.. that part was never active on Test that I saw
I also noticed on Sonoma that there was a hole in the floor of the miner's cave. It was labeled, "A feeling of great even prevents you from entering." I'm not sure if this hole is present on any other shards or is just a Sonoma EM event leftover.

feeling of great evil.JPG

Edited to add: Just tried to look on Balhae and I don't that same hole is there too. Can't get anything to come up with Shift-Control from outside the cave like I could on Sonoma. Unfortunately, I forgot to run to that end of the cave and check when my tamer was actually in the cave.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Not EM Leftover, that is new in the cave pretty sure that is a part of this.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Sounds like the Governors' of Skara are going to have to evaluate the city, I hope there is strong magic in place to stop crafters from accidentally crossing into a battle area.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I also noticed on Sonoma that there was a hole in the floor of the miner's cave. It was labeled, "A feeling of great even prevents you from entering." I'm not sure if this hole is present on any other shards or is just a Sonoma EM event leftover.

View attachment 71740

Edited to add: Just tried to look on Balhae and I don't that same hole is there too. Can't get anything to come up with Shift-Control from outside the cave like I could on Sonoma. Unfortunately, I forgot to run to that end of the cave and check when my tamer was actually in the cave.
Yeah.. no hole on Atlantic there either... but strangely all the trapped miners are gone... your shard could be a little ahead of the rest. Maybe they are 'placing' things around today.. *shrugs*

Untitled.jpg

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Crap, Skara gets hit again! Time to go mark a lot of runes to other shops for all my crafters. Skara was always my home base for BoD's and banks since it was the very first city my very first character was born in. Why couldn't they pick on Serpent's Hold this time. ;)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly because many are unable to finish the fisher bit in part 3 of the arc.....simply because u need 65-70 fisher skill to dredge up the stave required in the quest........part 4 is a no no no....sad....unless the devs can step in and save the day with a little zero fishing needed twerk!!!! please!!!!

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is the OP just the lore for the next phase of the event arc or has it actually went live?
I haven't found anything different so far. Not even a new newspaper.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I agree that Kalen's Lament is a perfect example of how not to do a quest, I'm highly doubting that you have to "do" Part III to participate in Part IV. As long as you know someone who will give you access to a completed obelisk's tip (so, so dirty...) so you can use the "Pagan Titan Slayer," you're likely to be just fine.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sadly because many are unable to finish the fisher bit in part 3 of the arc.....simply because u need 65-70 fisher skill to dredge up the stave required in the quest........part 4 is a no no no....sad....unless the devs can step in and save the day with a little zero fishing needed twerk!!!! please!!!!
They can already fish it up with zero skill. You only need to have the character on the "Zealotry of Zipactricotl" Quest along with the current quest..

The Zealotry of Zipactriotl – Ultima Online

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Liches MUST DIE!...
i have a deep seated fear of liches from all the years of hunting them in the forest outside of Yew by the guard tower.
many many deaths back in the day was paid at the cold dead hands of those buggers.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I agree that Kalen's Lament is a perfect example of how not to do a quest, I'm highly doubting that you have to "do" Part III to participate in Part IV. As long as you know someone who will give you access to a completed obelisk's tip (so, so dirty...) so you can use the "Pagan Titan Slayer," you're likely to be just fine.
It's just so dumb though that ONE part of that multi-step questline is halting so many people because it was just not well thought out.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's just so dumb though that ONE part of that multi-step questline is halting so many people because it was just not well thought out.
It needed to be set to an increasing chance of a drop up to 10 MiBs. At the 10th it is 150% guaranteed.

As much as I like Kyronix, I simply can't get behind his love of making everything a freaking gnarly grind. UO cannot be a grind. It simply doesn't have players of that temperament, nor a playerbase that can support easily this type of game play. Break out of that game design school box!

Next up in October: ANOTHER PANCAKING GRIND! Yay!? /wrists

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It needed to be set to an increasing chance of a drop up to 10 MiBs. At the 10th it is 150% guaranteed.

As much as I like Kyronix, I simply can't get behind his love of making everything a freaking gnarly grind. UO cannot be a grind. It simply doesn't have players of that temperament, nor a playerbase that can support easily this type of game play. Break out of that game design school box!

Next up in October: ANOTHER PANCAKING GRIND! Yay!? /wrists
Honestly I'm even ok with a grind, just not one that involved a limited resource that a lot of people probably are going to have a hard time getting.

Like if they wanted us to grind this part of the quest out.. leave mibs out of it, and make it something quest related, and attainable like the special map drops.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I'm even ok with a grind, just not one that involved a limited resource that a lot of people probably are going to have a hard time getting.

Like if they wanted us to grind this part of the quest out.. leave mibs out of it, and make it something quest related, and attainable like the special map drops.
The quicksilver is an acceptable grind, at least on GL (where the spawn was dramatically increased) and the drop is decent. I was able to get 60 in a bit over an hour. The Key of the Caretaker is an acceptable grind as well.

The MF'n Kalen's Lament is a :wall: slide into :coco:. I had a lot of MiBs squirreled away, simply because they're boring. Now, not so much. As of this moment, I don't want to do them again for a long, long, long x time.

The thought of having to slog through a month of the Sorcerer's Dungeon to get what I want is quickly running me out of booze. :shots:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The Key of the Caretaker is an acceptable grind as well.
That should have been harder to get. I mean kill 4 undeads and you have it.. way too frequent imho. I do agree that the staff if too low of a drop rate.. at the worst it should only take about 2 hours or so of fishing up sos's to snag it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The quicksilver is an acceptable grind, at least on GL (where the spawn was dramatically increased) and the drop is decent. I was able to get 60 in a bit over an hour. The Key of the Caretaker is an acceptable grind as well.

The MF'n Kalen's Lament is a :wall: slide into :coco:. I had a lot of MiBs squirreled away, simply because they're boring. Now, not so much. As of this moment, I don't want to do them again for a long, long, long x time.

The thought of having to slog through a month of the Sorcerer's Dungeon to get what I want is quickly running me out of booze. :shots:
Yeah exactly, the QS is slow... but you know you can do it. There's no concern that the event will end before you can get enough QS. That's fine. The staff isn't.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That should have been harder to get. I mean kill 4 undeads and you have it.. way too frequent imho. I do agree that the staff if too low of a drop rate.. at the worst it should only take about 2 hours or so of fishing up sos's to snag it.
*shrugs* It didn't drop for me as much as it did for Malag. She got about 30 in the same time I got six.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I agree the fishing part is a bit much... but I never fish. I just had a giant stockpile of SOSes. So I dug them out, and did over 200 of them yesterday, I finished with 11 staffs. It's doable - and I had far better luck there than with the ambushes.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is my problem with it... the scepter you get off the island does NOT vanish when you complete the quest... you keep it.

The Staff you have to turn IN its' then GONE... and if you wanted one to keep... you have to do the (*&$(*&(& MAPS another 40 times... till you want to just crawl in a hole.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Here is my problem with it... the scepter you get off the island does NOT vanish when you complete the quest... you keep it.

The Staff you have to turn IN its' then GONE... and if you wanted one to keep... you have to do the (*&$(*&(& MAPS another 40 times... till you want to just crawl in a hole.
Yeah, but that agrees with the fiction - and with the UItima 8 Pagan lore that the fiction is based on. You're giving the staff to the Necromancer as a memento of his beloved. The key, on the other hand, is part of that type of spellcasting. We only got the one spell, but in theory you'd use it to cast all Pagan Necromancy spells. Keeping the staff, or losing the key, either way wouldn't make sense with the fiction.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Valid point there... but I have fished up 5 of them.. I am done lol. My collection can just suffer without one lol. I am sos'd out..

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree the fishing part is a bit much... but I never fish. I just had a giant stockpile of SOSes. So I dug them out, and did over 200 of them yesterday, I finished with 11 staffs. It's doable - and I had far better luck there than with the ambushes.
hey matey ..... have u got zero-30 skill fishing...

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
hey matey ..... have u got zero-30 skill fishing...
To be honest, it's 20-year-in-content. We have soulstones. I don't have GMs in every skill - but I don't mind them making content that does require GM or better in any particular skill... it's not like we've had 2 decades or anything to train up those skills, and for any I don't have a GM, SOAs and SOTs make it just too silly easy anymore to make overnight GMs in pretty much any skill.

...now if they'd come up with something requiring GM Detect Hidden, Remove Trap, Camping, Item ID... just so those EVER have had a reason to have a char with GM in the skill.... :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To be honest, it's 20-year-in-content. We have soulstones. I don't have GMs in every skill - but I don't mind them making content that does require GM or better in any particular skill... it's not like we've had 2 decades or anything to train up those skills, and for any I don't have a GM, SOAs and SOTs make it just too silly easy anymore to make overnight GMs in pretty much any skill.

...now if they'd come up with something requiring GM Detect Hidden, Remove Trap, Camping, Item ID... just so those EVER have had a reason to have a char with GM in the skill.... :p
I'm all for skill dependant quests... just me personally I would keep those for regular content additions rather than anniversary celebrations. I'd want those to be as accessible as possible.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@BrianFreud ...... i love you man u are UO!! .. but your wrong on this.... this is meant to be a 20th celebration that everyone can do!! a nice arc/ quest//// not a impossbile task... there are players that have only played the game 1-2-3 years...cant they enjoy this???? thersw players like me played 18 fricking years!¬! and no i have never made a fishing man ... why... because its down right bloody boring!!!!.......THIS IS NOT.... all about UO VETERANS .....sweet jesus..... this is supposed to be a festival of fun... not a down right gritty grind to make a few people rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that have gm ''whatever'' skills...[end]...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Most people have a character that if not a favourite they at least prefer playing it, it would be nice to have a story arc that you could go all the way through with that one character, quests that can be completed by any template would be great. I've managed the story arc so far, most people who have a decent active guild should be okay, but not everyone has that, for some people it seems to be all a bit frustrating, which is a great shame when the Devs worked so hard on this. People with demanding jobs or families might struggle a bit with limited play-time and nobody to help. Also I don't think it was very 'new-player' friendly in some parts.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So I recalled to my castle just now and the chest with all my ambusher items has disappeared....Chernabog came in short time to look for it but alas it is gone :(

Very weird as I never unlock or release items I always use the ~Retrieve~ feature.....so I am rather upset! Hoping to be able to get at least a few back!

But yeah I started this quest on my Tamer...usually do...Larisa is mainly for EM events.....sad that I had to swap skills around on her but actually nice to be able to utilize different skill-sets too.

Gonna do the arc over on my samp and see how she does ;)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
@BrianFreud ...... i love you man u are UO!! .. but your wrong on this.... this is meant to be a 20th celebration that everyone can do!! a nice arc/ quest//// not a impossbile task... there are players that have only played the game 1-2-3 years...cant they enjoy this???? thersw players like me played 18 fricking years!¬! and no i have never made a fishing man ... why... because its down right bloody boring!!!!.......THIS IS NOT.... all about UO VETERANS .....sweet jesus..... this is supposed to be a festival of fun... not a down right gritty grind to make a few people rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that have gm ''whatever'' skills...[end]...
I've been swapping skills around on my main a good bit for this event. But specifically regarding the fishing part, you don't have to get the staff on your main, you just also have to have the quest on a fisher char. If you don't happen to have a fisherman, you could either buy the staff, or buy some SOAs/SOTs and make one... it's really not hard. Whatever they did, it would have required some skills - I don't see anyone complaining about the need for GM mage+tinker to craft the hammer... At least the fishing bit was true to the fiction, which was true to the lore from U8Pagan.

...and last I counted, I was up to 14 staffs, just using up my stockpile of SOSes. :p ...and the last time I fished, it was to fish for fish to give away at Chessiefest. lol

As for "new player friendly", this isn't "new player" content. This is *20th* anniversary content. It's "end game" content. As I see it, it could involve literally every skill and traveling to all sorts of dangerous and obscure locations. But regardless, it's a good bit better than the 4 quickie events that led in Time of Legends. This content reminds me a lot more of the Ararat quests, and good on them for making it not just a cakewalk.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for "new player friendly", this isn't "new player" content. This is *20th* anniversary content. It's "end game" content. As I see it, it could involve literally every skill and traveling to all sorts of dangerous and obscure locations. But regardless, it's a good bit better than the 4 quickie events that led in Time of Legends. This content reminds me a lot more of the Ararat quests, and good on them for making it not just a cakewalk.
We were originally told that this arc would "scale to our characters." That was obviously a lie. I have yet to see anything, including ambushers (I'm looking sat you, smoldering/flaming gargoyles), that "scaled" to character skill(s).

The 20th should have been an event arc geared to attract old players, new players, as well as current players. This was a squandered opportunity. IMHO, Mesanna squanders 90% of the opportunities to raise UO's awareness level. (Hell, she can't even be bothered to post something when they add new items to the in-game store! Complete. Fail.)

I mean damn, the 20th Anniversary Party isn't even linked off the front page of uo.com anymore. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. NOWHERE ON THE FRONT PAGE OF UO.COM DOES IT SAY THAT UO IS CELEBRATING ITS 20TH ANNIVERSARY! :facepalm: It may as well not be happening.

UO desperately needs a Community Liaison. (NOT SHARED WITH DAoC!) One that knows the community and who will sound the trumpets when new things come out. Someone who will tell Mesanna that UO isn't Soviet Russia and that sharing future plans isn't the End of Life as We Know it.

/rant

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive bought a damn staff... lol ..ive given in....i wont be denied the oberlisk!!!

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I've been swapping skills around on my main a good bit for this event. But specifically regarding the fishing part, you don't have to get the staff on your main, you just also have to have the quest on a fisher char. If you don't happen to have a fisherman, you could either buy the staff, or buy some SOAs/SOTs and make one... it's really not hard. Whatever they did, it would have required some skills - I don't see anyone complaining about the need for GM mage+tinker to craft the hammer... At least the fishing bit was true to the fiction, which was true to the lore from U8Pagan.

...and last I counted, I was up to 14 staffs, just using up my stockpile of SOSes. :p ...and the last time I fished, it was to fish for fish to give away at Chessiefest. lol

Yes, Or you could do it with other people who have the required skill. You know, multiplayer and all.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

View attachment 71740

That hole has been there for a LONG time, I remember training mining 15 years ago and seeing it.