• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 96 Updates to Origin, Izumo & Baja

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, As of their last maintenance cycle Origin, Izumo & Baja have received an updated version of Publish 96. Check out the latest changes in the patch notes here and send us any feedback you have here. We appreciate everyone’s feedback and assistance as we move through the Publish 96 testing cycle. See you in Britannia, UO Team

Continue reading...

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Top Attacker = important for Dark Father Blood -Sampires, this is for you!

Bracelet of Primal consumption was nerfed.... it should have been BUFFED! there are no important properties on the bracelet... protection mages still benefit from FCR, but also, the SDI you'd potentially be sacrificing in addition to casting speed would result in more damage loss than what 50 additional luck could give you.

Halo = not SDI capped in a single item anymore (the rest matters not)... but it's still a very useful item nonetheless.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know the devs finally make a good drop from something and some idiot comes on here and cries about it and now the entire player-base get screwed out of it. Unbelievable!! Yes im referring to the halo. Can we have intelligence ratings on peoples avatars on here so that the idiots are not listened to??!!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know the devs finally make a good drop from something and some idiot comes on here and cries about it and now the entire player-base get screwed out of it. Unbelievable!! Yes im referring to the halo. Can we have intelligence ratings on peoples avatars on here so that the idiots are not listened to??!!
should have said that when we were discussing the Tactics requirement =D

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And just like that the Doom revamp died. RIP publish 96.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The Halo is still better than the scholar glasses, but yeah, it lost a lot of it's desirability with this change.
It would be awesome for PvM mages. Now it is still good, but not as good as it was by far. 5 SDI more adds quite a bit of damage for spells and WoD. :(

UO-OU

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the others. Halo isn't as appealing anymore. The Bracelet of Primal Consumption doesn't have a purpose - it's basically an armor piece that a takes the place of jewelry slot... Seriously, the name of the bracelet doesn't even reflect what is - a jewelry piece that has lots of resistance. Name it Bracelet of Elemental Resistance to match it if that's the purpose this item. If they are going to still use the name of Primal Consumption, shouldn't the ability on the bracelet reflect that? Put Damage Eater 20% on the bracelet and increase the luck to 250.

Devs can't make everyone happy and the constant increasing and decreasing the artifact power show that. My suggestion is just increase the imbuing cap value of old doom artifacts - use blood of the Dark Father as an ingredient to increase the cap of the imbuing values to 1000 to the old Doom artifacts. Let the PLAYER choose which stats they want and/or increase. At one point in the past, we were able to imbue Doom artifacts. Why not give us that ability again with new caps with the changes in this publish. Additionally, there should be a way to convert the artifacts for gargoyle usage. If they want to introduce new artifacts, like Glenda and Bow of Infinite Swarm, just keep them only to the Doom bosses. Remove all old Doom artifacts (w/ exception of Ornament of Magician) from the Boss encounter and move them to general Doom spawn as a random pack drop like the Tokuno event.

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, I still like the bandana, its nice. I think the bracelet (which in my case on TC is named "Ring of...") is useless. For my playstyle there is only one desirable item - this banadana. I really like it!

However, as I always stated: Why do you make new artifacts? It would be just perfect if you kept the old Doom-arties and, increased their imbuing cap and made them imbuable!!! What a hell of a fun trying to get the stuff and make your own imbued version of HoM and so on... Just let the playerbase design their own Doom-stuff.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At some point, the imbuing caps will have to be raised to keep pace with power-creeping loot drops, lest crafting be shafted out of the "end game" content (again). When someone can find 800-1000+ weight items, a paltry 500-550 imbued item looks less desirable. Loot should, however, remain the items with the highest weights.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
At some point, the imbuing caps will have to be raised to keep pace with power-creeping loot drops, lest crafting be shafted out of the "end game" content (again). When someone can find 800-1000+ weight items, a paltry 500-550 imbued item looks less desirable. Loot should, however, remain the items with the highest weights.
Imbuing cap needs to be raised to 600 and allow up to 6 properties

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Imbuing cap needs to be raised to 600 and allow up to 6 properties
Reforging needs a similar 20% Increase in intensity with options to burn more charges for "Free" resists like legendary loot gets.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And then like all leveling games then the mobs will have to have a creep... and then.... the weapons and armor and then the mobs... and so on and so forth...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And then like all leveling games then the mobs will have to have a creep... and then.... the weapons and armor and then the mobs... and so on and so forth...
Um, the mobs started it first. :lick: Notice how all the new ones have a boatload of HP and take far longer than is fun to kill (Blackthorn captains, dinosaurs, myrmidex, Shadowguard stuff). The cycle started with T2A and has only gotten worse with successive updates.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Um, the mobs started it first. :lick: Notice how all the new ones have a boatload of HP and take far longer than is fun to kill (Blackthorn captains, dinosaurs, myrmidex, Shadowguard stuff). The cycle started with T2A and has only gotten worse with successive updates.
Yeah, would be nice if they could figure out that power creep is bad. And if they could figure out that a new mob with 2mil hitpoints doesn't equal fun and interesting. Suspense, shifting content (not necessarily stronger, just different). How many people have pleaded for ToT to return? Make it where for 6 weeks have the HoM have a chance to drop on anything you kill ingame? Then it quits, and something else has that random chance? No announcements either way, leave a surprise factor in it. Remember that Mongbat that you reflexively killed when you recalled home? Check the corpse-might have that drop on it ;) And if it needs a little extra to make people want to do it, give each one a name and don't repeat it. Gloves of the Pugilist arent seen anywhere much anymore...BUT-if Misk's Gloves of the Pugilist were to be a limited time drop never to be repeated you might get some overland hunters back ingame. It wouldnt drop on a boss, nor at a spawn, just overland mobs.

But just because the new content takes 3 hours to do doesn't mean that it is 3 hours of fun. Some of us would rather clear out a nest of 1000 undead than spend all night killing 1 liche lord with a gazillion HPs. or ratmen, or lizards, or dragons, you get the drift

I just wish we could somehow get out of the rut of thinking that a new experience, and new entertainment, had to involve new lands, newer stronger mobs, newer bigger badder equipment.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The DF should be killed by a regular player in 1 hour, more than this, there is strong feeling of grinding or boring. If you want to do more, you may start another round from beginning.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, would be nice if they could figure out that power creep is bad. And if they could figure out that a new mob with 2mil hitpoints doesn't equal fun and interesting. Suspense, shifting content (not necessarily stronger, just different). How many people have pleaded for ToT to return? Make it where for 6 weeks have the HoM have a chance to drop on anything you kill ingame? Then it quits, and something else has that random chance? No announcements either way, leave a surprise factor in it. Remember that Mongbat that you reflexively killed when you recalled home? Check the corpse-might have that drop on it ;) And if it needs a little extra to make people want to do it, give each one a name and don't repeat it. Gloves of the Pugilist arent seen anywhere much anymore...BUT-if Misk's Gloves of the Pugilist were to be a limited time drop never to be repeated you might get some overland hunters back ingame. It wouldnt drop on a boss, nor at a spawn, just overland mobs.

But just because the new content takes 3 hours to do doesn't mean that it is 3 hours of fun. Some of us would rather clear out a nest of 1000 undead than spend all night killing 1 liche lord with a gazillion HPs. or ratmen, or lizards, or dragons, you get the drift

I just wish we could somehow get out of the rut of thinking that a new experience, and new entertainment, had to involve new lands, newer stronger mobs, newer bigger badder equipment.
I'd like to beg and plead for a return of the Vanguard... Dread Warhorses and all..... and then plead for the return of the Bane Chosen, ToT... all of it ..... on a rotation... and each time they could bring a new "evil" leader... for a big endgame the EMs could build up to near the end of their stay... I'd even like to see the invasions in Cities again... the ones that gave us that colored armor were fun... and dropped the black spellbooks.

What we need is stuff that can be fun and exciting and new and at any time not just for the hour or two a week the EMs do things... As it is lately I log in UO for about 2 hours on Tuesday night and once a month to attend the Governors Meeting... and very rarely in between as I just find grinding out other things for ZERO return to be a snore.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to beg and plead for a return of the Vanguard... Dread Warhorses and all..... and then plead for the return of the Bane Chosen, ToT... all of it ..... on a rotation... and each time they could bring a new "evil" leader... for a big endgame the EMs could build up to near the end of their stay... I'd even like to see the invasions in Cities again... the ones that gave us that colored armor were fun... and dropped the black spellbooks.

What we need is stuff that can be fun and exciting and new and at any time not just for the hour or two a week the EMs do things... As it is lately I log in UO for about 2 hours on Tuesday night and once a month to attend the Governors Meeting... and very rarely in between as I just find grinding out other things for ZERO return to be a snore.
+1

Exactly. Quit developing new mobs and lands and such, and spend that time developing adventure and fun...not the 999k HP kind either.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Halo nerfed before reaching prod. I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

The production schedule went something like:
1) Throw together a load of random properties on random items that make no sense.
2) Get bitched out for it and ask for suggestions.
3) Get comprehensive feedback on how to purpose items FOR something with EXAMPLES.
4) Fail to grasp the concept and go with the examples.
5) Come back with revised artifacts that people are actually excited for and going to want to get and use. Apart from that one guy who has a diploma in philosophizing about 'meta' like he works in the games industry. Who despite wanting to use the item talks garbage about how overpowered it is for 30 pages. Plus a few randoms who also can't grasp the 'items need a purpose' thought process, and ask for HML on PvP weapons, and new DOT effects on PvM weapons.
6) Trot out the 'can't please everyone, so why bother pleasing anyone' tried and true cop out argument and return items to the state they were back at 1).
7) Release and wonder why Doom isn't filling up.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Kyronix and friends need to get over their crippling fear of decent items. So much otherwise worthwhile content dies on the vine because they think anyone will farm 200 hours for no-leech PVM weapons or whatever garbage.

This isn't funny anymore guys. It's basically wrecking the game.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious what kind of visual difference the 18 to 24 tile range makes for the enhanced client? Any comparison images?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
so if i may ask someone that can look...

what are the current mods of:

• Cuffs of the Archmage
  • Scholar’s Halo

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I will still use the halo since it has much better resists than the wizard reading glasses, but with this change, I will just buy a few on ATL and transfer them to Legends rather than bother with doing this new, "improved" doom myself.
With my ping, it will be hell. The halo is not worth the headache.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'll echo what's already been said about the Halo change.

MR from 4 to 2, not such a big deal by itself.
LMC from 15 to 10, not such a big deal by itself.
SDI from 20 to 15, HUGE difference.

The +int has already been lost from the item. The resists and +mana already were a side-benefit, not anything you'd pay attention to. So now you have a head slot item that's 2 MR, 10 LMC, 1 FC, and 15 SDI. That is not a named artifact, imho. That's maybe a legendary artifact at best.

SDI really needs to be reverted back to 20, else this becomes merely a placeholder piece until you find something better.

As for the Bracelet of Primal Consumption, it too has been nerfed into pointlessness. Ok, it's a 200 luck bracelet with 20/20/20/20/20, but as was said before, the resists on it, ring or bracelet, were meaningless. You likely already were at or close to 70/70/70/70/70 before adding the bracelet into the mix. Luck 200 and the random eater 20% were the only real things to pay attention to. Eater was already dropped to 18%; now it's down to 6%. So really, the ONLY reason to use this now is the luck. You essentially have a choice between a 200 luck bracelet with no really useful properties, or going with a 150 luck legendary bracelet that's loaded with beneficial properties. This bracelet has now been nerfed into pointlessness; it's even less useful for a luck suit than the armor of fortune.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Imho, that's already happened.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait.. I thought they dropped faster casting of the helmet. People are complaining because it went from sdi 20 to sdi 15?

It still blows everything else out of the water with that faster casting 1.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Wait.. I thought they dropped faster casting of the helmet. People are complaining because it went from sdi 20 to sdi 15?

It still blows everything else out of the water with that faster casting 1.
Which is pointless if you use protection, since the FC -2 locks you at FC 0. And again, they didn't just drop SDI, they dropped MR, LMC, AND SDI. If FC1 on a helm slot item were all that mattered, the Helm of Swiftness would actually be desirable.

Maybe if protection was merely a FC -2, but you could counter it with FC 3 or 4 to get back to FC 1 or 2, it'd be worthwhile. But the FC -2 negative on protection locks you at 0 for magery.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Man I knew there would be tears about the halo, but this is funny. The best (and only remotely close)comparison some dude came up with was still 150-200 intensity difference and people are angry because they nerfed the other stats down a little? I mean get real.

Scholar’s Halo
  • Lower Mana Cost: 10%
  • Mana Regen: 2%
  • Spell Damage Increase: 15%

So here are the changes people are crying over:

MR 4 - MR 2
LMC 15 - LMC 10
SDI 20 - SDI 15

still has 75 resists
fc1
and 15 mana increase

Time to pull up your big kid pants and stop the crying.

I'll be farming doom for it.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which is pointless if you use protection, since the FC -2 locks you at FC 0. And again, they didn't just drop SDI, they dropped MR, LMC, AND SDI. If FC1 on a helm slot item were all that mattered, the Helm of Swiftness would actually be desirable.

Maybe if protection was merely a FC -2, but you could counter it with FC 3 or 4 to get back to FC 1 or 2, it'd be worthwhile. But the FC -2 negative on protection locks you at 0 for magery.
Yes, for pvm mages who are 100% of the time in protection faster casting is pointless. But to every other class and build in the game it is not. That was the original issue with the item was not so much the stats that could be found on other things, but the faster casting coupled with those stats. This blows helm of swiftness out of the water and should not even be compared.

Would seem kind of silly to me to give this item 20% Sdi though after they just released the Spectors lenses. We want Diversity, not just one overpowered item that completely blows everything else out of the water in it's slot.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Man I knew there would be tears about the halo, but this is funny. The best (and only remotely close)comparison some dude came up with was still 150-200 intensity difference and people are angry because they nerfed the other stats down a little? I mean get real.

Scholar’s Halo
  • Lower Mana Cost: 10%
  • Mana Regen: 2%
  • Spell Damage Increase: 15%

So here are the changes people are crying over::D

MR 4 - MR 2
LMC 15 - LMC 10
SDI 20 - SDI 15

still has 75 resists
fc1
and 15 mana increase

Time to pull up your big kid pants and stop the crying.

I'll be farming doom for it.
I'll farm for it as well.... But, if it wasn't PoF-able, it wouldn't be worth going to doom for imo. (it is Pof-able on TC :D )
but imo, with the way corpse Loot has become, the resistances on just about every single "named" artifact, doesn't matter AT all. Like I said, I would use the halo simply for Fc1 & 20% SDI (even if the bandana had a -10 all resist penalty) because those properties aren't obtainable on that particular item slot (not on the same item, at least), and often are the properties that make it most difficult to finish a suit.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Why are you playin im
I'll farm for it as well.... But, if it wasn't PoF-able, it wouldn't be worth going to doom for imo. (it is Pof-able on TC :D )
but imo, with the way corpse Loot has become, the resistances on just about every single "named" artifact, doesn't matter AT all. Like I said, I would use the halo simply for Fc1 & 20% SDI (even if the bandana had a -10 all resist penalty) because those properties aren't obtainable on that particular item slot (not on the same item, at least), and often are the properties that make it most difficult to finish a suit.
yeah you're right, and pretty much only in it for the fc1 the other mods are a bonus.

It'll open up more options for some of the jewelry I have.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Yes, for pvm mages who are 100% of the time in protection faster casting is pointless. But to every other class and build in the game it is not. That was the original issue with the item was not so much the stats that could be found on other things, but the faster casting coupled with those stats. This blows helm of swiftness out of the water and should not even be compared.
If you think FC1 was really what made it OP, imho, drop the FC1. Dropping 25% of the SDI, 50% of the MR, and 33% of the LMC was overkill.

I see your point about the Spectors lenses, but even as this stands now, it's generally better than Spectors. With all the changes to it, adding resists and lowering the rest, it makes Spectors kind of redundant:
[xtable=skin1|689x164]
{tbody}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}Original Halo{/td}
{td=97x26}Halo v2{/td}
{td=98x26}Halo v3{/td}
{td=98x26}Halo v4{/td}
{td=98x26}Spectors{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=219x@}+mana 15, +mana(int) 8{/td}
{td=97x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana(int) 8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=97x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 2{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}SDI 12{/td}
{td=97x26}SDI 20{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 18{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 15{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 12{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=97x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 10{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=97x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}0/3/5/8/8{/td}
{td=97x26}15/15/15/15/15{/td}
{td=98x26}15/15/15/15/15{/td}
{td=98x26}5/10/14/20/20{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
In other words, the changes that have been made to the Halo are basically turning it into Spectors with FC1. As of v2, this was an awesome PvM piece, opening a lot of flexibility for PvM mages.

There's been few enough items to bump max SDI; even that 20 bumped the max +2, which was significant for PvM.

As for resists, I've been assembling a high end PvM suit where I planned to use the Halo, once it goes global. I'm building all brittle/clean, but if I were using antique parts, these numbers would be even higher (though the suit wouldn't last so long). So using that suit as a reference...

That suit's resists are 130/80/74/73/96. 15/15/15/15/15 vs 0/3/5/8/8 only looks good; it's pretty meaningless in reality.

FC is meaningless due to protection.

With the new LMC 10 on the Halo, LMC on the suit is still 48 with a 40 cap - ie, for this suit, whether LMC is 10 or 15, it's still a meaningless difference.

With the latest change, MR on the suit goes from 19 to 17, but MR's not really important - my int's at 150 and the suit has +33 int and +41 mana. That's 224 mana I have to dump, on a meditateable suit, with both 120 meditation and 120 focus. Esp because MR is subject to diminishing returns, MR 2 or 4, it's pretty meaningless. At MR 4, I get 3.3597 passive recovery, vs 3.2889 at MR 2. That's all of 0.07 less mana per second... ie, also meaningless.

So that leaves ONLY the SDI as meaningful. At 20 SDI, the Halo's an easy choice. At 15, I might use it, but I'm still shopping for a legendary with 18.

Oh... and the kicker... this is a high luck mage suit (1940), where the Halo was the only non-luck piece I was using, for the SDI. If I wasn't worried about luck, with a few item swaps, I'd be at FC 3 or 4, well over 30 on MR, and over 100 in every resist... and then literally the ONLY reason to look at using the Halo would be the SDI.

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mixed feelings on all of this. A revamp of the old artifacts would be great, but more chances for legendary items on the cheap does sound tempting if the drop rates aren't incredibly grind related.

@devs, an orny with 4-6 random added props would make some lucky person wish they wore the brown pants...just saying. Also, design by committee (us) is never a good idea, because a happy medium always turns great ideas into mediocre tedium.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fc1 is meaningless??? Way to talk from a trammel PvM point of view only.
Please keep in mind there are actually playstyles that rely on faster casting and not running in protection. And for those a nic headpiece with mods they use and fc1 on top is actually very much an option because it frees up imbuing slots/ mods on other parts and allows for more versatility.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Fc1 is meaningless??? Way to talk from a trammel PvM point of view only.
Please keep in mind there are actually playstyles that rely on faster casting and not running in protection. And for those a nic headpiece with mods they use and fc1 on top is actually very much an option because it frees up imbuing slots/ mods on other parts and allows for more versatility.
I did say 'from a PvM perspective'. Some seem so focused on keeping the FC on the Halo for PvP, basically changing it until it's a Spector's with FC, yet the SDI was the main thing that made this attractive for a PvM suit.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How are they getting feedback on those items when no one is actually getting those items?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PvM wise, I'm having trouble seeing the motivation for the Halo:

VvV Wizards Crystal Reading Glasses:

Mana Increase 10
Mana Regen 3
SDI 15
10/10/10/10/10

And I get 4 pair of those with no farming at all.

All I can really see left is the FC1, which is nice for pvp suits... but used only for pvp, a standard drop will likely be farmed out within a few months.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
PvM wise, I'm having trouble seeing the motivation for the Halo:

VvV Wizards Crystal Reading Glasses:

Mana Increase 10
Mana Regen 3
SDI 15
10/10/10/10/10

And I get 4 pair of those with no farming at all.

All I can really see left is the FC1, which is nice for pvp suits... but used only for pvp, a standard drop will likely be farmed out within a few months.
If you have any reason to use the wizard glasses then you certainly do with the halo whether it's pvm or pvp.

You can easily get over 100 sdi anyways, how much more do you need?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Do the Artisan Festival Tree continue to withdraw gold from the host cities' coffers past the initial start in the city? On GL, Britain's funds have been draining at an unusual rate since the beginning of December...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have any reason to use the wizard glasses then you certainly do with the halo whether it's pvm or pvp.

You can easily get over 100 sdi anyways, how much more do you need?
Except I can get 4 pair of wizards crystal glasses with a click of the mouse... why would I need to spend hours and hours of farming for 1 extra FC? With the Hephaestus shield or a Blackthorns shield and a scrappers I'm already at 2 FC. No reason to set foot in doom. For 20 Sdi, I would of got one.

I run 114 sdi.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Except I can get 4 pair of wizards crystal glasses with a click of the mouse... why would I need to spend hours and hours of farming for 1 extra FC? With the Hephaestus shield or a Blackthorns shield and a scrappers I'm already at 2 FC. No reason to set foot in doom. For 20 Sdi, I would of got one.

I run 114 sdi.
Sure you could but we both know you're probably not spending all your silver on wizard glasses when there are other pieces you'd be using like the Crimson or orny etc.

Aside from that fc1 on head piece with town bonus clears up the need to have it on any other piece, or more easily caps at 4/6 for chiv.

I think I have a char around that sdi mark too I know it's well over 100.

I use the 30 sdi invasion book.

I think most people were confused when they only saw three mods on it, but those were just the ones they changed.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If you think FC1 was really what made it OP, imho, drop the FC1. Dropping 25% of the SDI, 50% of the MR, and 33% of the LMC was overkill.

I see your point about the Spectors lenses, but even as this stands now, it's generally better than Spectors. With all the changes to it, adding resists and lowering the rest, it makes Spectors kind of redundant:
[xtable=skin1|689x164]
{tbody}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}Original Halo{/td}
{td=97x26}Halo v2{/td}
{td=98x26}Halo v3{/td}
{td=98x26}Halo v4{/td}
{td=98x26}Spectors{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=219x@}+mana 15, +mana(int) 8{/td}
{td=97x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana 15{/td}
{td=98x@}+mana(int) 8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=97x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 4{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 2{/td}
{td=98x26}MR 4{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}SDI 12{/td}
{td=97x26}SDI 20{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 18{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 15{/td}
{td=98x26}SDI 12{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=97x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 15{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 10{/td}
{td=98x26}LMC 8{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=97x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}FC 1{/td}
{td=98x26}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x26}
{td=219x26}0/3/5/8/8{/td}
{td=97x26}15/15/15/15/15{/td}
{td=98x26}5/10/14/20/20{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
In other words, the changes that have been made to the Halo are basically turning it into Spectors with FC1. As of v2, this was an awesome PvM piece, opening a lot of flexibility for PvM mages.

There's been few enough items to bump max SDI; even that 20 bumped the max +2, which was significant for PvM.

As for resists, I've been assembling a high end PvM suit where I planned to use the Halo, once it goes global. I'm building all brittle/clean, but if I were using antique parts, these numbers would be even higher (though the suit wouldn't last so long). So using that suit as a reference...

That suit's resists are 130/80/74/73/96. 15/15/15/15/15 vs 0/3/5/8/8 only looks good; it's pretty meaningless in reality.

FC is meaningless due to protection.

With the new LMC 10 on the Halo, LMC on the suit is still 48 with a 40 cap - ie, for this suit, whether LMC is 10 or 15, it's still a meaningless difference.

With the latest change, MR on the suit goes from 19 to 17, but MR's not really important - my int's at 150 and the suit has +33 int and +41 mana. That's 224 mana I have to dump, on a meditateable suit, with both 120 meditation and 120 focus. Esp because MR is subject to diminishing returns, MR 2 or 4, it's pretty meaningless. At MR 4, I get 3.3597 passive recovery, vs 3.2889 at MR 2. That's all of 0.07 less mana per second... ie, also meaningless.

So that leaves ONLY the SDI as meaningful. At 20 SDI, the Halo's an easy choice. At 15, I might use it, but I'm still shopping for a legendary with 18.

Oh... and the kicker... this is a high luck mage suit (1940), where the Halo was the only non-luck piece I was using, for the SDI. If I wasn't worried about luck, with a few item swaps, I'd be at FC 3 or 4, well over 30 on MR, and over 100 in every resist... and then literally the ONLY reason to look at using the Halo would be the SDI.
They could have nerfed it differently, but the difference is so negligible it doesn't matter.

Dropping sdi 5% isn't going to make or break the piece. Lmc is a wash because it's easy to add with legendaries.

Personally the only thing I wish they would have left is the mr4 but with the mana increase being as high as it is that's fine too.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WAIT,

corpse skin is actually now too powerful, it needs to reduce fire and poison by only 11/12 and not 15.

Now you've heard it before patch went live.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it'll be ridiculous, sampires can corpse someone then kill them in like 2 hits, plus everyone will die to like 2 flamestrikes in group battles. you'll even be able to magic arrow fireball someone to death.