• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Next Round of Publish 97 Updates to TC1

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, Today we have updated TC1 with the latest version of Publish 97 which includes the following changes. We are incredibly grateful to those who have taken the time to head over to TC1 to test and give feedback on Publish 97. At this stage we have incorporated all major feedback related to pet training progress and will be moving to the specifics of pet customization. While our major focus is on pet customization, it is still important to get feedback on the latest changes to pet training progress. We will provide pet training advancement gates to speed up the […]

Continue reading...

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does it say additional 1500 points to add either magery or necro-magery?? Plus the additional 100 weight points. Most points allowed per training level is 1500, does that make this skill impossible to put on? Are you dangling this out in front of us as a joke or is it not working properly? @Bleak @Kyronix

petmagery.jpg

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think you might need to feed it powerscrolls first? That was my impression when I tried to add magery to my unicorn when it first came out.

Hop on TC and shout out for Kyronix or Bleak, they'll be better able to help you in real time!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah but it should be addable at gm magery and more points to add the scroll

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMFAO! They brought Power Hour back! For Pets!

"Pets will no longer gain in derived stats (HP, Mana, Stamina) with increases in Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity if they already above 125."
NOOO!!! That's mean no more 190 Stam Pack Horses that put Usain Bolt to shame! Good thing i already have some. Wonder how much they'll be worth after the Pet Revamp goes live.

Last edited:

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like power hour. Before update my rune beetle got 21.10% from two mages, now it stopped gains from one mage at 47.14%, so it gained about 2.5x faster.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pet damage is 50% of what it was against players? sounds like a step in a good direction. Need to test damage for player vs some fully trained pets. Some of the abilities regardless of damage may be pretty overpowered still, like mortal, nerve strike, essence of wind, etc. May need to somehow make some of those abilities not effect players at all.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like power hour. Before update my rune beetle got 21.10% from two mages, now it stopped gains from one mage at 47.14%, so it gained about 2.5x faster.
Yeah my spider is gaining pretty fast now...and the new pet training progress bar is AWESOME! Glad they were able to put that in!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aura of Nausea is the same thing that Lady Mel does, the only difference is it lasts 5 seconds from pets.

which is:
-60% Hci
-60% Dci
-60% SSI
-5 FC

Player Pets shouldn't have this ability, unless it can be made to have 0 affect in pvp. (imo)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was there a list at all anywhere that said what pets can be trained in what? Might of missed it.

Also haven't had it answered but if u need like minimum 112 taming 102 life to control a cu sidhe, is that the same whether it is trained up or not?

Also do pets lose their inherit abilities when trained for other abilities? Ie. Cu sidhe bleed,hiryu dismount, etc?

Last edited:

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How to train following magic abilities on pets without any other magical ability, since we have only 1501 points to spend?
  • Magery 1500+100
  • Arcane Pyromancy 3000+100
  • Magery Mastery 1500+100
I'm trying to upgrade fire steed.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a shame that the imprisoned dog is removed, should rather tweak it - I was waiting for to train my Little Bugger....

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would still like to know if it is possible to transfer a trained lesser hiryu to a character with Bushido but zero Taming.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would still like to know if it is possible to transfer a trained lesser hiryu to a character with Bushido but zero Taming.
Once you increase the stats or anything via training (from the new revamp) it applies a minimum taming skill requirement to control it.

So the short answer is: No, you can't use a trained pet with Bushido as your controlling skill.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you increase the stats or anything via training (from the new revamp) it applies a minimum taming skill requirement to control it.

So the short answer is: No, you can't use a trained pet with Bushido as your controlling skill.
Where did you get this information? only asking because I have been training Vollems on Test with no taming or lore. Now if this is new then I havent tried since the new update. Character is human I just had to lore my pet several times before I got the gump.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Does the lore or menu show the minimum?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone know what the najasaurus eats? tried fruit and meat does not like either

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does the lore or menu show the minimum?
No, it doesn't tell you what the minimum require skill is, it won't allow you to transfer the pet to someone that doesn't have taming skill though. but also, soulstoning (or on TC1 "Setting skills") taming off, the pet will no longer listen to your commands.

Where did you get this information? only asking because I have been training Vollems on Test with no taming or lore. Now if this is new then I havent tried since the new update. Character is human I just had to lore my pet several times before I got the gump.
I'm testing it on Tc1.

as a human character you could train pets, but after the last update you're unable to add stats to pets anymore without their follower count increasing.

Pre-patched pets (TC1 only) from before todays update you can level via training and increase several stats before it increases from 1-2/5 slots with Vollems they start with 2/5, the first time you add a stat/increase damage (anything) it becomes a 3/5 slot pet.

Edit: to clarify, todays changes only seem to affect pets that are either newly tamed (after the update) or have not begun the "training" process yet.

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a big fan of automatically increasing the follower slot once you begin training. I have so many quirky pet tamers on Pacific who have packs of five mostly trained creatures. It's particularly useful for pack instinct creatures and all I really needed to make these characters viable was for these pets to be able to better survive as they fight. I thought pet training would let me at least raise their resists without increasing the follow cost, but with the automatic increase, it rather pointless. Thus I'm going to go back to my original request before this system was ever proposed: Allow the training of resist spells to boost their resists like it does for players. Give them a minimum resist level which will help them survive. I can live without pet training if they can survive a fight (with my healing). Or if this would cause problems with the new system, put a minimum 1 slot training feature. Make it limited to only resists to boost up the survivability of weak pets and pack instinct pets.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a big fan of automatically increasing the follower slot once you begin training. I have so many quirky pet tamers on Pacific who have packs of five mostly trained creatures. It's particularly useful for pack instinct creatures and all I really needed to make these characters viable was for these pets to be able to better survive as they fight. I thought pet training would let me at least raise their resists without increasing the follow cost, but with the automatic increase, it rather pointless. Thus I'm going to go back to my original request before this system was ever proposed: Allow the training of resist spells to boost their resists like it does for players. Give them a minimum resist level which will help them survive. I can live without pet training if they can survive a fight (with my healing). Or if this would cause problems with the new system, put a minimum 1 slot training feature. Make it limited to only resists to boost up the survivability of weak pets and pack instinct pets.
Eh, I think it's ok. Packs of 5 are still useful with peacemaking, and will probably still out damage new pets, and packs of two and three will be much much more viable, and fun.

I have to admit though, I was always a fan of the resist spells resist boost for pets.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone know something good to train weak ass 1 slot pets on? Everything I can find my Dire Wolf can handle only gives .04 per fight or so...

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone know something good to train weak ass 1 slot pets on? Everything I can find my Dire Wolf can handle only gives .04 per fight or so...
I haven't tested yet to see what type of gains they give, but have you tried trade deal villains?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a way to put the taming requirement in the requirements window when you add training to a pet?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't tested yet to see what type of gains they give, but have you tried trade deal villains?
No, but I don't know if they could handle it. Earth elementals are about the top. I got him up to 3% fairly quickly, but I think I'll just wait till the skill gates show up to test anymore. Gaining seems fine to me.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Anyone know what the najasaurus eats? tried fruit and meat does not like either
as per the release notes:

The Najasaurus will now accept meat as a preferred food.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
>It is now possible that creatures can have varying control slot requirements based on their overall power.

So, for example, a freshly tamed tiger with mediocre stats might require 2 control slots, while a tiger with good stats might require 3? And at the same time I can train up the mediocre tiger to the 3 slots?
In that case why would anyone bother spending time looking for a pet with good stats? Not only a good pet is penalized with higher control slots, but it seems you can achieve similar results by training up a mediocre pet. The new mechanic seems to be killing one of the unique and key game play aspects of UO's taming system, namely - if you spend more time looking for a pet you will be rewarded with a better pet.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like we're getting a replacement option for swamp dragons from P97? (absorbs damages)
Must be one of the new pets then?? Or, is it an ability trainable by a tamer first, then the pet is transferred to a warrior?
From the new lore menus on TC, I didn't see any abilities that indicates such...so far.

From Yamato meet chat:
========================================
Q16,
Mesanna: greetings

EM Asiantam: he has his Swamp Dragon as a pet
EM Asiantam: mount
EM Asiantam: but he prefers lesser Hiryu
EM Asiantam: the problem is
EM Asiantam: lesse hiryu can't wear armors

Mesanna: ok stop a sec
Mesanna: you need to go read the patch notes
Mesanna: then go to TC1
Mesanna: and try out the new pet taming revamp we are putting in
Mesanna: I think you will be suprised
Mesanna: and it will give you a better choice
Mesanna: of which pet you want to tame
Mesanna: and train

EM Asiantam: I think he wants it as his mount
EM Asiantam: so it reduce damage

Mesanna: I understand

EM Asiantam: yep

Mesanna: there are lot of varieties

EM Asiantam: thank you

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
All creatures have detect hidden, it just never showed on the lore gump before. (Asked Kyronix the same question the first day lol) It's kinda neat that we can see all the skills critters have now..I had no idea dread spiders were necro's! I'm even more stoked to have one when this hits Origin ;)

I will be testing further today on more critters now that I was able to fully train my spider and I am quite pleased with the results. Has anyone copied power scrolls over to test? Was planning on doing that today.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A lot of creatures have Parry and Detect Hidden. They've always had Detect Hidden, you just weren't able to see it in the Lore menu. Hence why Crows and Ravens would consistently reveal Stealthers even before this patch. Parry though, is new to them. Pets never used to get the white dot graphic showing that they parried an attack, they do now though.

Been doing a bit of testing on TC with the new pet abilities. Shadow Wyrms are too weak to warrant being 5 Control Slots after tame, they need to be 4 Control Slots at most as fresh tame. Most of the AoE abilties such as Cold Wind, Essence of Earth, Essence of Disease are incredibly weak, doing like 2 damage per target every 2 or so seconds. Explosive Goo is semi-decent at 25-30 damage per target in a large radius, and Whirlwind is pretty solid.
Most of the Magic skills can't be given to pets, due to them costing 1.5k-3k Training Points. I was able to give Magery Mastery to a Serpentine Dragon though, and after that he'd run around like a summoned Air Ele, refusing to engage in melee with kill targets (unless they walked up to him), and spamming nothing but Flamestrikes and E-Bolts while occasionally channeling Death Ray. I did see him Teleport right next to a Earth Ele that i ordered him to kill though.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
>It is now possible that creatures can have varying control slot requirements based on their overall power.

So, for example, a freshly tamed tiger with mediocre stats might require 2 control slots, while a tiger with good stats might require 3? And at the same time I can train up the mediocre tiger to the 3 slots?
In that case why would anyone bother spending time looking for a pet with good stats? Not only a good pet is penalized with higher control slots, but it seems you can achieve similar results by training up a mediocre pet. The new mechanic seems to be killing one of the unique and key game play aspects of UO's taming system, namely - if you spend more time looking for a pet you will be rewarded with a better pet.
Swings and roundabouts - you can spend time looking for a high end pet, or you can spend time working with a lower pet to reach the same goal. Either way you need to spend the time to achieve it. Also Greater Dragons etc that are already 5 slot pets cannot be trained, so you still need to spend the time looking for those.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Exactly Petra....and there are restrictions as to how much and what you can train a pet.

Limitations.jpg
WeightCaps.jpg

A 4-slot pet can only be trained once, but it's stats and skills might be higher then what you can train a 3-slot pet...so you're still going to want to find the best pet first before training.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems bladeweave or chivalry have area effects causing aggro on tamer. :devil:

I see no gains in chivalry, maybe my pet need to tithe some gold to use spells? :gee:

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems bladeweave or chivalry have area effects causing aggro on tamer. :devil:

I see no gains in chivalry, maybe my pet need to tithe some gold to use spells? :gee:
Mystic and Necro don't gain as well. I think it's a bug atm

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Training percentage is buggy, look what I had:

35.3%
35.8%
35.9%
35.14%
35.41%

there is leading zero after decimal point missing.
:twak:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Swings and roundabouts - you can spend time looking for a high end pet, or you can spend time working with a lower pet to reach the same goal.
Are you really suggesting that spending a day training a pet is equivalent to weeks or months it may take to find a high end pet in the wild?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you really suggesting that spending a day training a pet is equivalent to weeks or months it may take to find a high end pet in the wild?
I guess there I show my ignorance, sorry. I don't have any uber pets.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess there I show my ignorance, sorry. I don't have any uber pets.
THB, I have only one that I would call uber - a Nightmare that I just got lucky with. However I know more than one tamer for whom the search for that elusive GD or Cu or what have you comprises the bulk of their game play. It is also one of the components that makes UO pet system stand out from any other MMO - not only every pet is unique, but you can make your pet better than almost everyone else's if you are willing to pay a heavy price in time and effort.
I want to have that option, because it adds self created content to the game. Instead of taming the first pet of the right species you come across, training it to whatever is considered to be the best template, and being done - taming remains a lifelong pursuit.

What I would like to see is variety in starting pet stats within the same margins as we have now and no variability in slot requirements within those margins. So, for example, a good tiger starts at 2 slots, and a bad tiger starts at 2 sots. You can train both of them up to 3 or 4 slots and both will improve, but at the same slot level, the good tiger will still be superior. This will give an incentive for tamers to... you know, keep taming. :)

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I would like to see is variety in starting pet stats within the same margins as we have now and no variability in slot requirements within those margins. So, for example, a good tiger starts at 2 slots, and a bad tiger starts at 2 sots. You can train both of them up to 3 or 4 slots and both will improve, but at the same slot level, the good tiger will still be superior. This will give an incentive for tamers to... you know, keep taming. :)
Its already on TC1 as you wrote. You have same pool of points to spend on upgrades, so better pet stay better after same amount of upgrades compared to weaker pet.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like we're getting a replacement option for swamp dragons from P97? (absorbs damages)
Must be one of the new pets then?? Or, is it an ability trainable by a tamer first, then the pet is transferred to a warrior?
From the new lore menus on TC, I didn't see any abilities that indicates such...so far.

From Yamato meet chat:
Q16,
Mesanna: greetings

EM Asiantam: he has his Swamp Dragon as a pet
EM Asiantam: mount
EM Asiantam: but he prefers lesser Hiryu
EM Asiantam: the problem is
EM Asiantam: lesse hiryu can't wear armors

Mesanna: ok stop a sec
Mesanna: you need to go read the patch notes
Mesanna: then go to TC1
Mesanna: and try out the new pet taming revamp we are putting in
Mesanna: I think you will be suprised
Mesanna: and it will give you a better choice
Mesanna: of which pet you want to tame
Mesanna: and train

EM Asiantam: I think he wants it as his mount
EM Asiantam: so it reduce damage

Mesanna: I understand

EM Asiantam: yep

Mesanna: there are lot of varieties

EM Asiantam: thank you
She didn't understand at all, just jumped in with an answer that wasn't being asked for. :D

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding, along with my math skill, is decidedly shaky, but this upgrading is like imbuing, you only have so many points to spend, and there are 'caps' to the various areas. My white wrym has 756 strength, on the upgrade menu that showed as 2360/2100 points. It is over cap. So just like weapons can be found with stats over cap when compared to imbuing, so pets can be found that are over cap.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THB, I have only one that I would call uber - a Nightmare that I just got lucky with. However I know more than one tamer for whom the search for that elusive GD or Cu or what have you comprises the bulk of their game play. It is also one of the components that makes UO pet system stand out from any other MMO - not only every pet is unique, but you can make your pet better than almost everyone else's if you are willing to pay a heavy price in time and effort.
I want to have that option, because it adds self created content to the game. Instead of taming the first pet of the right species you come across, training it to whatever is considered to be the best template, and being done - taming remains a lifelong pursuit.

Yeah, I think slots should just be tied to type.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its already on TC1 as you wrote. You have same pool of points to spend on upgrades, so better pet stay better after same amount of upgrades compared to weaker pet.
Aren't slots tied to power level of creature rather than type? That's why peoples old tamed pets are jumping up in control slots off the bat.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can transfer a leveled lesser hiryu to someone with bushido and they're able to control it on TC1 currently, but it's getting to be fixed.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can apply parry PS to pet, but can not train it. Only resist spells gained in a hour.
noparry.png

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, this statement from patch notes - "It is now possible that creatures can have varying control slot requirements based on their overall power", it does not apply to creatures in the wild? All freshly tamed rune beetles will have the same starting slot requirement vs different slot requirements based on how good they are?