• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] New Ultima Store Item: Windrunner

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are pleased to announce a new item is available from the Ultima Store – Windrunner! Windrunner is a vanity mount that is sure to strike fear into the hearts of enemies who see you charge valiantly into battle atop this steed! To read more about the origins of this mysterious creature check out this fiction!

Continue reading...

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very pretty, but doth it have the damage-reduction of an armored swamp dragon?

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Another fun piece of fiction. :) Love these stories that introduce new stuff.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They got a small taste of microtransactions and what it could do for their bottom line. Expect a lot more stuff like this. If only they had listened to their playerbase for the last several years and done this earlier...
Most games that are based on microtransactions are free to play. This is a case of wanting their cake and eating it too. We should not be getting hit for the majority of items in the store other than expansions, gametime and advanced char items, name change and such whilever there is a subscription. They ignore long standing 'events' such as valentines day saying they don't have time etc, yet have time to introduce the new micortransaction items.

How much more is going to 'only' be available this way while the game we pay subs for is sitting with bug after bug not fixed? Seems seriously odd they can add 'new' mounts, huge wedding packages which frankly I had not heard a 'single' person actually requesting, in fact the player base is that low now they missed the bus on this item like 10 or more yrs ago, yet simple things like 'in game' books have been broken for 8-9 yrs and cannot be read in both clients a fact that seriously interfers with in game player run events, assistance for new players, the ability to advertise events, items, instructions and just basic rp and writing of lore and stories etc etc, to all the player base. Not to mention all the stuff that still doesn't stack that is driving players nuts like cocoa butter, power cyrstals, workable glass and tons of other items.

Now if this 'mount' came as a new 'tameable' I wouldn't have an issue, as I have paid my sub and expect content. Instead I pay my sub but have to 'pay' extra for this. This one is new 'art' too so not like a rehued bit of fluff.

Don't think we should all be so 'happy' to accept this situation.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Most games that are based on microtransactions are free to play. This is a case of wanting their cake and eating it too. We should not be getting hit for the majority of items in the store other than expansions, gametime and advanced char items, name change and such whilever there is a subscription. They ignore long standing 'events' such as valentines day saying they don't have time etc, yet have time to introduce the new micortransaction items.

How much more is going to 'only' be available this way while the game we pay subs for is sitting with bug after bug not fixed? Seems seriously odd they can add 'new' mounts, huge wedding packages which frankly I had not heard a 'single' person actually requesting, in fact the player base is that low now they missed the bus on this item like 10 or more yrs ago, yet simple things like 'in game' books have been broken for 8-9 yrs and cannot be read in both clients a fact that seriously interfers with in game player run events, assistance for new players, the ability to advertise events, items, instructions and just basic rp and writing of lore and stories etc etc, to all the player base. Not to mention all the stuff that still doesn't stack that is driving players nuts like cocoa butter, power cyrstals, workable glass and tons of other items.

Now if this 'mount' came as a new 'tameable' I wouldn't have an issue, as I have paid my sub and expect content. Instead I pay my sub but have to 'pay' extra for this. This one is new 'art' too so not like a rehued bit of fluff.

I hear ya. But they are sticking to vanity items so far. Nothing that makes you less competitive. UO needs the money to keep the lights on or else they wouldn't bother. If it keeps the game going I'm ok with it. They haven't hit my weak spot yet with leet deco. Paintings, statues and stuff :) The wedding package surprise me. I can't believe anyone would need that. When they start selling one hit kill weapons we'll know things are getting bad. Then they gave away the last expansion, go figure.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Don't like the name feels very unoriginal.

Otherwise I am glad they are finally putting multiple mount options into the store it is long overdue.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Nah, if you have an issue paying $10 for a new mount that's your problem.

I have no issues paying for my sub and buying something they throw into the store.

Not to fear, they were selling them on ATL for 100m, so I bought two more from someone who was kind enough to snag them for me and bring them over.

Don't penalize the rest of us who are satisfied with it because you think it's unfair.

Val Van Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What do you do with the Windrunner when you don't want to ride it? Can you feed it? Can it raise fighting skill? Can you resurrect it if it dies? Do you re-name it? I really need some details.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Ummm....
World of Warcraft
Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy XIV
all sub games, all have item stores. I dont know of a game that DOESNT have an item store these days.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most games that are based on microtransactions are free to play.

UO is just as based on "Microstransactions" as WoW is.

WoW has stuff on their store like:
Mounts
Pets
Transmog Helms

+ You can buy gametime tokens which you can sell for gold, essentially buying gold (These gametime tokens can also be used to add BNET balance which can be used in any other game Blizzard has such as Overwatch lootboxes, hearthstone card packs, etc

You still have to pay for services like:
Expansion
Name Change
Race Change
Server Transfer

How is UO any different?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you do with the Windrunner when you don't want to ride it?
Stable it.
Can you feed it?
Yes
Can it raise fighting skill?
Its like a strong horse so it wont raise much
Can you resurrect it if it dies?
Yes
Do you re-name it?
You can

Its like the 16th anniversary horse.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yup, I don't see why this is ok with people. We should be getting this stuff with our subscription. That's what subscriptions are for. Unless a sub free option is coming.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I don't see why this is ok with people. We should be getting this stuff with our subscription. That's what subscriptions are for. Unless a sub free option is coming.
So where did you suggest we should also be able to get name change tokens, mythic tokens, and the like for free? It's a vanity item...it is not required. I for one think these should be a 1 to 3 months store addition then removed for good. For some reason though I feel as if that would incite the tears train.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the very least we should be getting a monthly premium currency stipend with our sub(s), like every other MMO that has both.

Nothing crazy, but like 200-400 sovereigns a month per active account.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
At the very least we should be getting a monthly premium currency stipend with our sub(s), like every other MMO that has both.

Nothing crazy, but like 200-400 sovereigns a month per active account.
Really? A stipend?

Surely you jest...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sure used to get it in several games I played...
What games are those?

I have a fair number under my belt and have never received a stipend unless I was involved somehow with the game itself.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I got them in Landmark(which was a sony thing I forget what you had to monthly sub for... gave you monthly credits in the in-game store)... Sony has had that for awhile. But then they sold out to Daybreak and things went downhill from there. But I think you can still be in that and get in-game currency stuff in EQ as well... though Daybreak.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started to like the Black Wolf Mount. Then I noticed someone used Microsoft Paint on the claws, eyes, ear tips, and the spot on the back. Apparently, you have to take Windrunner to the Salon to get it's nails done. Bright red? Why not a dark crimson, or just leave it black?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got them in Landmark(which was a sony thing I forget what you had to monthly sub for... gave you monthly credits in the in-game store)... Sony has had that for awhile. But then they sold out to Daybreak and things went downhill from there. But I think you can still be in that and get in-game currency stuff in EQ as well... though Daybreak.
You get them in Rift, Black Desert Online, SWToR and Elder Scrolls Online if you pay for the subscription model and not just use the F2P option.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Honestly you should look at the amount of things we have gotten in such a consolidated time frame. This is the most content (good or bad is a separate discussion) that we have gotten in 2-3years. If they are generating revenue to add additional staff then I would say this is the smartest business decision we have seen in a long time. They are listening to the player base for the most part, giving us vanity items and introducing new content while revamping old. I for one am happy to see life put back into this game

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You get them in Rift, Black Desert Online, SWToR and Elder Scrolls Online if you pay for the subscription model and not just use the F2P option.
Hmm I played both Rift and EOS. I don't recall getting a stipend...

When did they add those?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Star Trek Online also has a stipend, the amount based on whether you have a monthly sub or a lifetime sub.

If they added more stuff to the store as individual items, some being consumable, they would still make extra money. Lots of it.

I would want to see such cash reinvested into UO, however. Things like simple advertising. Another dev/engineer. A community liaison. More EMs/PECs. A word processor with grammar & spellcheck for uo.com posts...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oh trust me I'm well aware... they made some HUGE mistakes when it came to Landmark... the first being to imply that it had anything at all to do with EQ... The second was their inability to realize that you can't have a sterile world and expect that the players would be the only ones adding any actual content and having that content limited to tiny squares... While it was a beautiful game and I dearly wished it would take off... they never gave it the life it required. I have a feeling it would have done well had they listened. But it's past...

If I had my wish I'd take what landmark had in beauty and land and creativity and I'd build UO on that... Imagine full 3d where you don't have to have a prefab house or block where you can actually fell trees, and control your entire plot above and below the ground level... build anything from tree houses to underground dungeons... Where mining actually tore up the ground and left a hole (though it did eventually fill back in)... But the world building technology there was amazing... actual underground tunnels and dungeons... (though they really stunk at that too)... the ability for players to make and sell items to other players anything from stairs to entire houses... The ability to move objects in any way, up/down, left/right, back/forward, rotate... was nice. But I just kept dreaming of how wonderful UO would be with those things. It disturbed me that the land lacked any mobs at all.. there were no rabbits, birds, fish, deer, or anything... unless someone put them on their own property... Which was sad... but property was designed in such a way that you could basically terraform your own design... though you all think the use of neons colors, borg cubes and bare plots are bad... you should see what a world looks like with giant gaping squares all cut out of it. Makes a bare plot rather tame in comparison. I wish I'd taken more screenshots.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Star Trek Online also has a stipend, the amount based on whether you have a monthly sub or a lifetime sub.

If they added more stuff to the store as individual items, some being consumable, they would still make extra money. Lots of it.

I would want to see such cash reinvested into UO, however. Things like simple advertising. Another dev/engineer. A community liaison. More EMs/PECs. A word processor with grammar & spellcheck for uo.com posts...

Yeah I was just looking at Star Trek Online, which was released in 2010, so basically you pay $15.00 a month and you get 5 bucks (500) worth of their currency "zen".

Mostly spent on one item such as a playable species or a new suit.

Interesting to say the least, I guess.

Cryptic Store - Official Star Trek Online Wiki

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy a lifetime membership when it's on sale. You get the 500 Captain stipend to. It's a free $60 worth a crap a year.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Buy a lifetime membership when it's on sale. You get the 500 Captain stipend to. It's a free $60 worth a crap a year.
Sorry man, Star Trek has never really been my thing.

Not sure id want to pay $300 for it

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm I played both Rift and EOS. I don't recall getting a stipend...

When did they add those?
Same month they added a F2P option. You get a bonus of credits each month for having a subscription, ESO has been like that for about a year, and Rift for 2 that I've been subbed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So where did you suggest we should also be able to get name change tokens, mythic tokens, and the like for free? It's a vanity item...it is not required. I for one think these should be a 1 to 3 months store addition then removed for good. For some reason though I feel as if that would incite the tears train.

Well... We DO have the function of mythic tokens in game, it's called regular skill gain. :p Name changes can be abused I think, and don't GM's have to do it? But yeah, I would have zero issue with these tokens dropping in game. Why would I?

You know, things like name changes and the like I don't mind. It's not "content" it's a service.

It just really irks me that a good chunk of the new content we get, decorative/vanity or not, is behind a paywall. If this were a f2p game, I'd have no issue, but it's not.

The whole point of the game being subscription model is that we pay up front rather than piecemeal as f2p games do. I just think they are pushing it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they are generating revenue to add additional staff then I would say this is the smartest business decision we have seen in a long time.
I guess it's a good idea to milk us as much as they can, while they still can, since there are so few of us left.

Just speaking for myself, I don't dig the double pay scenario going on here. I feel like the only time a subscription based game should be asking for extra money is when they are developing large contained content (expansion pack) that requires extra hands to accomplish in a given time frame. Vanity mounts, deco, and **** like that should be drops, not item store fodder.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Same month they added a F2P option. You get a bonus of credits each month for having a subscription, ESO has been like that for about a year, and Rift for 2 that I've been subbed.
Ah I betad through ESO and then played for a bit after release.

I played Rift when released but my laptop at the time couldn't handle that and it was choppy a lot of the time. I recall liking the concept of Rift though.

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just my opinion but I am not a fan of a physical mount being added to the store. From my own perspective the mount not being Ethereal is holding me back from buying it I would imagine other players feel the same way which could negatively impacting potential sales?

I think it would be better to make them obtainable ingame and give each their own unique ability that makes riding them rewarding and a choice based on each players individual playstyle.
example: Lasher could be resurrected with bandages like old faction warhorses.
Windrunner could give like 50% chance to ignore the remount timer after being dismounted.

Hopefully eventually a whole arsenal of mounts with Unique abilities would get added.

Then I think if you sold Ethereal versions of each mount in the store would be the route to go.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may want to fix that Medusa pet dye bug, everyone is starting to ride around on puke brown coloured Windrunners.
@Bleak , @Mesanna

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a bug with vanity mounts to. I had one of the Birds of Pray from Edon. I died in Blackthorn Dungeon, and the Bird of Pray died shortly after. I got ressed came back no pet ghost. I paged a GM got the canned response "Sorry we can't replace lost items.' Only spent 3 mil, so no biggie. However, I'd really ticked if it was a store bought mount

I agree make them like ethereals. They go back to statues when not ridden.