• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] House Customization Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Customer Service
2012 Dec 14 17:07 GMT
The House customization issue has been resolved. The problem arose from a stacking issue that was fixed this morning. Items will no longer be pushed under the house sign or become unlocked.

The instability of the Atlantic shard was also related to the stacking issue and should be resolved as well.
en

Continue reading...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I at once keep my fingers crossed and breathe a sigh of relief.

As, I am sure, do we all.

-Galen's player

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The instability of the Atlantic shard was also related to the stacking issue and should be resolved as well.
This seems a little strange, NO other shard was suffering this 'stacking issue'? I know Atlantic is agreed to be the most populated, but the concept it was the only one affected, and none of the other needed anything to ensure their stability, seems a little unlikely.

Lady Bleez

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think there was more wrong with it then just a stacking issue. My son was removing the top floor of his house and it was refusing to remove doors and teleporters so he stopped to wait for a fix. It said it refunded the money but no money ever went to his bank. There was less then 10 items in his house and none were stacking or anywhere near a house sign. And not on Atlantic.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This seems a little strange, NO other shard was suffering this 'stacking issue'? I know Atlantic is agreed to be the most populated, but the concept it was the only one affected, and none of the other needed anything to ensure their stability, seems a little unlikely.
This is UO, so "sense" often has unexpected and unknown criteria.

And anyway: They didn't say Atlantic alone had the stacking issue. They said that there was a staking issue that was also "related to" the "instability" of the shard. In other words the stacking issue was game-wide, but only Atlantic happens to have suffered the related instability.

-Galen's player

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And anyway: They didn't say Atlantic alone had the stacking issue. They said that there was a staking issue that was also "related to" the "instability" of the shard. In other words the stacking issue was game-wide, but only Atlantic happens to have suffered the related instability.
Which is what slightly baffles me - why was it so severe it was crashing Atlantic but seems to have had no effect elsewhere? But we'll probably never know....

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well technically it is easy to explain. If you have a memory leak filling up server memory, the memory will fill up slowly, if only a few processes are running which are hugging memory (and cleaned out with the daily maintenance reboot). On Atlantic more people, more houses, more such stacks, therefore the memory consumption went on on a much higher rate, until the server crashed.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll let someone else try first....
Seconded. I imagine all of the house owners are like a colony of penguins perched at the edge of a cliff waiting to see who is going to take the first plunge to see if there is a leopard seal or an orca waiting in the depths below.

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhhh.. quick question. When I click the link to "continue reading", I get an error saying page not found. I figured maybe someone got the url link wrong, but when I go to uo.com I don't see it at the top of the page... only the "don't customize" news post. Maybe it's my browser, but I just want to double check.

Can a Dev just toss out a quick post that this fix has been published? I just want to make sure the fix hasn't been rescinded before I update others who don't read uo hall.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hum...... so is it fixed or NOT?

Now the message saying it was is gone.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seconded. I imagine all of the house owners are like a colony of penguins perched at the edge of a cliff waiting to see who is going to take the first plunge to see if there is a leopard seal or an orca waiting in the depths below.
You can take the leap but again there could be nothing but a rocky shore to splatter your penguin guts on:eek:

Reth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Did the message disappear for anyone else? I've been waiting to customize my house and not sure to pull the trigger or not.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did the message disappear for anyone else? I've been waiting to customize my house and not sure to pull the trigger or not.
It did indeed disappear.

The last thing on the site now is the warning to not customize your house.

-Galen's player

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Edit:
I took the plunge. Everything seems to be working as intended. (Whew!)

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the Test Center and the bug is still occurring there... I'm hoping that is just because they chose not to patch that shard.
Won't let me copy my character to Test Center at the moment :-(

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So one small semi glitch I've noticed... (scared me half to death before I figured out what happened)...

I customized my house and when it moved items into the moving crate it only put a few items in each gold box in a row along the bottom. Looked all normal at first glance.
Then I noticed I was missing a dozen + high-end items.
Eventually, I noticed the count on the moving crate didn't match the items shown. I started removing items from the gold boxes.
When I got one empty and it poofed, low and behold, there was another gold box beneath it. Some of the boxes were several boxes deep.

So if you customize, check that before you freak out on missing items like I was about to. Hehe.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I customized my house and when it moved items into the moving crate it only put a few items in each gold box in a row along the bottom. Looked all normal at first glance.
When should items go into the moving crate? Every time I've customised my house only the things on the outside steps seem to go into the moving crate. Do only items that aren't locked down end up in the crate or something like that?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually the only things that end up in the moving crate are those items that become blocked by new walls, etc. However, I did have several items go into the moving crate that didn't follow that rule.

My moving crate wasn't "full" by any stretch of the imagination. I think it was a total of 80 something items. Usually the non add-ons get thrown into the gold chests until they are full and then onto the next one. This time however it was only a few per chest to a max of like 5 in each chest and there were chests hidden... that is something I've never experienced before and I've remodeled probably 100's of times over all my years playing.

Just telling folks so if they end up "missing" items, try to empty the boxes in the moving crate and see if there are additional ones underneath. Hopefully the Devs will fix this soon.