• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Glorious Fortune Potion Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
11/1/2023 Greetings, We’ve made a tweak to the “Glorious Fortune” potion. Players under the effects of the “Anti-AFK” penalty, won’t be able to use this potion. If you’ve already consumed the potion and then get the “Anti-AFK” penalty, the potion’s duration will be adjusted to ensure you get its full benefits. See you in Britannia, UO Team

Continue reading...

mihali

Sage
Great that we get fast response but why would we want to protect anyone hit by anti cheating
Because not everyone hit by the anti-AFK anti-cheating penalty is really AFK/ceating, if you read the posts. Unless they lie, posters clearly related that they got hit even though they were not AFK-ing, and I doubt they lied. So it may have to do with the "imperfections" in this game, that at times random players will get hit for reasons not explainable. So the debs did right : If someone paid their hard earned money the worry is that they may penalise non-cheating people. So therefore the fix, and they are correct to do this, the alternative would have been to dig in the code, and see how this happens to the non-AFK folks, and spend 200 hours going over undocumented code then guessing then testing another 200 hours to make sure it worked correctly. So the "fix" is the best way out for them, and they are not wrong. Just a humble explanation of their behaviour. By the way I would like to see anyone AFK at the spur, or the Tokuno Hiryu planes. Or anywhere for that reason now that there are anti-AFK monsters everywhere. The game I play is pretty intense and hard to imagine any AFK esp the spur where I play, lol.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because not everyone hit by the anti-AFK anti-cheating penalty is really AFK/ceating, if you read the posts. Unless they lie, posters clearly related that they got hit even though they were not AFK-ing, and I doubt they lied. So it may have to do with the "imperfections" in this game, that at times random players will get hit for reasons not explainable. So the debs did right : If someone paid their hard earned money the worry is that they may penalise non-cheating people. So therefore the fix, and they are correct to do this, the alternative would have been to dig in the code, and see how this happens to the non-AFK folks, and spend 200 hours going over undocumented code then guessing then testing another 200 hours to make sure it worked correctly. So the "fix" is the best way out for them, and they are not wrong. Just a humble explanation of their behaviour. By the way I would like to see anyone AFK at the spur, or the Tokuno Hiryu planes. Or anywhere for that reason now that there are anti-AFK monsters everywhere. The game I play is pretty intense and hard to imagine any AFK esp the spur where I play, lol.
My point was this exactly rather than admit it is broken and fix it they rewards the cheaters

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
At end the day my question always is "how many yrs to NL release?" I don't even care but damn if they do something and damn if they don't(which would be NL talk many Moons ago). Oh i heard NL went alpha/beta! Great half a decade left... They should have just got more involved in events instead of promising some new bone that they can't chew...

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Kindo of curious if NL corresponds with Messy retirement... anymore its like we can't get rid of her and she can't get NL off ground so we will release both them at same time?

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have the same feeling regarding this. NL might be her last move. If successful, she can pass it proudly to the next producer. And if not EA will use her retirement as a good reason to pull the plug.

Over the last 3-4 treasures of events they handed out best in slot items which they have never done before to that degree. She just wants to keep the music playing on a sinking ship.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have the same feeling regarding this. NL might be her last move. If successful, she can pass it proudly to the next producer. And if not EA will use her retirement as a good reason to pull the plug.

Over the last 3-4 treasures of events they handed out best in slot items which they have never done before to that degree. She just wants to keep the music playing on a sinking ship.
LMAO In order to pull the plug on UO then they will need to pull the plug on BS, you know the people that they pay to run UO and Bonnie does NOT work for EA she works for BS.

mihali

Sage

The accusations of sinking ship have been going on for close to 20+ years now, they got worse 10 years ago also..So this ship is taking a huge time to sink, definitely not sunk yet. So much for that theory.
The proof of it, that they essentially are handing out "best in slot items" does not hold too much water also. These are better items but not necessarily best in slot, as others have commented. I have legendaries that are much better.
If they have halfway decent rewards, like last several events, then its because the game is sinking. If they do not and the rewards are crappy, then they do not know any better and they are stingy with the rewards.
I would sure have to be a dev. in this game, cannot keep everyone happy. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Just playing the Dev(il's) advocate : To be real you have to look at it from all sides, also remote past, past and present.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"best in slot items"
Now best in slot items would have High Luck also. Funny how I am doing the event with a Suit that contains 6 190 luck pieces and only one "best in slot" reward item. The Luck Quiver. :)

Now they need to add Eaters and Luck to rewards to compete with crafted items.

mihali

Sage
One solution to the unattended macroers could be to action them with one month ban, since it is the TOS, clearly stated. This will discourage the practice, and also not lose the needed subs.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
It's just human nature. As long as any system exists there will be someone looking to game that system.

DRM, Copy Protection, Anti-Cheat - no matter the intent of the measure, someone will eventually reverse engineer a solution and do a work around.

The only real (temporary) solution would involve invasive, active monitoring via the client and I don't think anyone wants that - not to mention it raises a number of legal quandaries. I don't think they have the staff or resources to pull that off for any length of time. Alternatively, they could simply make these items no-drop/no-trade and be done with it. That would be a rather effective hammer on glass solution. Causally monitoring the sales chat on Discord, the amount of these event drops being traded is pretty ludicrous.

mihali

Sage
on the other hand, when I hunt there, there is one or 2 macroers only, their strike rea is limited, and I bet they do not use Potions of fortune or super luck, I bet they probably get only a few drops, and when the bid Para (Skel Dragons) come to their strike area, they will positively die and drop their catch on the ground for everyone else to pick. They do not affect me specifically since I am all over the place and constant hunt. They do not seem to affect my game. So do we NUKE the entire player base on account of these 2 suicide macroers that risk account bans? I would say no. The Devs responded with their anti macro code admittedly non-effective, since the code does not detect 3rd party macro code and likely they use it.
It would be best for Devs to concentrate on finishing up stuff looong pending, than waste time on these few macro-farmers.
I know that it pisses people off to see that macro-farming happen, but there are no good or easy solutions.
So I do NOT get upset, and go about my hunting, I get enough drops. I also know that if I lure of the big paras on the macro-afk farmers, I will be breaking game rules, so therefore I go on my business as usual, the 1-2 hours I can actually play.

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I currently have a character that is on a Glorious Fort potion and was hit with the AFK code. I am watching the potion timer tick away and cannot damage anything in the event area. Not cool!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I currently have a character that is on a Glorious Fort potion and was hit with the AFK code. I am watching the potion timer tick away and cannot damage anything in the event area. Not cool!
Report on main forum as this was supposedly fixed