• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ask & Answer No. 11

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2012 Nov 19 21:39 GMT
In addition to the normal set of Ask and Answer questions this week, there is also an interview! UO Forums did a very informative interview with the Ultima Online producer, Bonnie (Mesanna) Armstrong. There are questions that range from a typical day in the studio to future plans for Ultima Online, so be sure to check it out.

UO Auctions

Question: The new 15yr Robes are a fantastic addition and reward for players being creative. i'd like to see this bcome more than just a 15yr event. have you ever considered holding art based competitions as well as writing? it'd be nice to see this sort of reward for submitting UO fan art too. (Treasure Seeker)

Mesanna: After speaking with our Artist Onifrk he stated jpg, png or 3d files would be acceptable to do something like this. I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks.

Ultima Online Bibliothek

When will I get my ridable Great Hart? Tameable, plase, and chance to find a white one, please. (Pcuvush)

Mesanna: Ridable Hart, probably not but a special spawned hued one is a possibility in the future.

Once there was the idea to add pixies as a playable race - there was a poll, if I remember correctly, dwarves and orcs as other options. Has this been shelved, or is there still a chance to add them? (Pcuvush)

Mesanna: Right now a new playable race is not on the plans. I am not saying we will never do one again but have a lot of other things in front of it right now.

UO Stratics

I roleplay as an orc on Europa (Xug'Klerg) and he wants to know if he will ever fully become an orc? We would both like this...(Velvathos)

Kyronix: Adding additional playable races is an extraordinary task that requires a lot of development time due to the far reaching impact of such an addition. Consider how different gargoyles are than humans/elves and how they have their own equipment, skills, etc. So to do it right would take a great effort that may not benefit the entire player base as effectively as focusing elsewhere. There are currently a number of ways that players can roleplay other races (Which I’m sure you are already utilizing) so enhancing that ability would be more feasible than a full blown additional playable race.

UOForums

Since the addition of the Raised Garden Beds into the game, the need for fertile dirt has increased. However as best I can tell, the spawn rate has not. I love my raised beds, especially when I can plant them all with the fertile dirt, I just don't like buying it in Ter Mur. Is there anyway we can get some more dirt? OR reduce the number of dirt piles it takes to grow each plant? (Kahlan)

Kyronix: This is a reasonable request and will consider it when adding it future loot drops to various areas.

Can you tell me how iron beetles are supposed to work? I thought they mined ore but when I bring mine out, it does not mine or do anything really. I've stood alongside mountains, inside caves (Where you can mine the floor), and still, it does nothing. The owner is a GM Miner. (Thumper)

Misk: The Iron Beetles likes to dig up and eat ore so it tries to mine when it is in an appropriate area. They will attempt to mine in the immediate area at random intervals (maximum of 5 minutes). Sometimes they don’t like the taste of the ore that they dig up and simply leave it on the ground instead of consuming it. When the beetle eats ore, its body hue changes to the ore color that it has eaten. The Iron Beetle can only mine near valid mining tiles and the mining skill of the owner does not affect the types of ore that the beetle will dig up.

Continue reading...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An extraordinary amount of pvp and felucca talk as of late on the boards and otherwise, and still not a single mention of any of it.

Just wanted to take a moment and point that out.

Thanks

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
An extraordinary amount of pvp and felucca talk as of late on the boards and otherwise, and still not a single mention of any of it.

Thanks
there has also been a extraordinary amount of talk about Petra's birthday and not one mention of a coloured hued Petra OR a ridable one.... the dev's just dont care and/or listen to us!

hehe

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks
I would rather wait until something is made benifitial to everyone than something just being thrown together we may not all agree on.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there has also been a extraordinary amount of talk about Petra's birthday and not one mention of a coloured hued Petra OR a :postpics:ridable one.... the dev's just dont care and/or listen to us!

hehe
I'd have to see pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there has also been a extraordinary amount of talk about Petra's birthday and not one mention of a coloured hued Petra OR a ridable one.... the dev's just dont care and/or listen to us!

hehe
A Rideable Petra is what you want ehh? Does petra know of this? Are you trying to tell us something?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After speaking with our Artist Onifrk he stated jpg, png or 3d files would be acceptable to do something like this. I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks
Can we have a contest about FINISHING the ones that were started and then dropped by the wayside? And perhaps even using the CORRECT design that was submitted, instead of the wrong one?

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks
PvP?????? Felucca?????? What's that? There is no need for that in UO.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO Stratics

I roleplay as an orc on Europa (Xug'Klerg) and he wants to know if he will ever fully become an orc? We would both like this...(Velvathos)

Kyronix: Adding additional playable races is an extraordinary task that requires a lot of development time due to the far reaching impact of such an addition. Consider how different gargoyles are than humans/elves and how they have their own equipment, skills, etc. So to do it right would take a great effort that may not benefit the entire player base as effectively as focusing elsewhere. There are currently a number of ways that players can roleplay other races (Which I’m sure you are already utilizing) so enhancing that ability would be more feasible than a full blown additional playable race.
You can already turn your character into a "full fledged" orc in the EC via the Body Sculptor NPCs... and could since the Kingdom Reborn Client was in use... just sayin'

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks
And may I ask why haven't you finished the ones that were submitted and who had won, seems that the developers cannot finish something's they started.
I don't know of any other shard which is not finished but this particular bank is on Legends

Last edited:

Damia TMC

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes please please please Mesanna come finish Brit bank, it was started and never finished, and while you're on Legends can we have a prettier Luna bank too? We all feel like Legends gets left out of a lot of stuff. Our Brit bank never got finished, yes I know the person who started it is gone now, and it's not anyone's problem to fix but we'd like a moongate and some benches and flowers too, we've waited years and we've been really good.... well mostly good.... ok we tried to be good.... ok we'll try harder in the future. :)

I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks
And may I ask why haven't you finished the ones that were submitted and who had won, seems that the developers cannot finish what they started.
I don't know of any other shard which is not finished but this particular bank is on Legends

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*signs petition to get Legends Brit bank finished and with the correct design.*

Only seems right to award what was promised.

I, myself recently realized I had screwed a contest winner. I cannot change that but was quite ashamed and did what I could to try to set it right. My point being it is NOT TO LATE.

Last edited:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are currently a number of ways that players can roleplay other races (Which I’m sure you are already utilizing) so enhancing that ability would be more feasible than a full blown additional playable race.
Might be simplest to make a permanent Polymorph potion that turns them into an Orc, and can be undone if they drink another.. More universal than a face remake in EC. Technically, it could just be treated like a permanent buff. Craftable by Alchemists.

I suppose this could technically be done for any of the Polymorph options.. Player Liches, etc.. They always look the same as what the spell turns them into, unable to change their appearance through equipment, but might not be a bad compromise.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We can be orcs now, anyone remember the orc flippers from a while back? work from that, and make them available again to whoever wants to be an orc. Should be able to work the coding a little to make lich, troll, whatever yta want

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Might be simplest to make a permanent Polymorph potion that turns them into an Orc, and can be undone if they drink another.. More universal than a face remake in EC. Technically, it could just be treated like a permanent buff. Craftable by Alchemists.

I suppose this could technically be done for any of the Polymorph options.. Player Liches, etc.. They always look the same as what the spell turns them into, unable to change their appearance through equipment, but might not be a bad compromise.
Only if the permanent morph form be able to ride mounts, because as it is right now, a polymorphed player cannot ride any mount ... Ps : as I think more about it, a orc riding a horse does not look very RP tho lol ,

Last edited:

ShadowTrauma

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehehe normally only post on more serious threads that I feel I can contribute to, but this one is just FUN. I must admit I really do miss seeing all the Orc players from back in the day. Not only where they a great bunch of people, but man they looked cool doing it also... the orc helm has to be up there as one of my favorites. If you think about it Orcs in general are great NPCs they have such a wide variety of skills, abilities, and looks, I almost always enjoy fighting them.

*Orc's on Swampies (not a huge fan looks wise personally), Beetles, Ostards, and Cu Sidhes would all work in my opinion, I can definately agree with you on the horse issue. I'm sure I am missing some and will admit lore wise they might not all make sense (I'll leave that to the experts), but I for one can certainly picture it, and it makes me smile.*

T

Tazar

My orc rides a Warg (Cu-Sidhe) that's bubble-gum pink... it clashes horribly with the green orc. I just use the Mask of Orcish-Kin to complete the character look. I do wish the mask were properly craftable/enhancable/imbuable/reforgable though...

Last edited by a moderator:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you missed a publish note somewhere. You can make orc masks, reforge them and imbue them. Can't enhance though, they're cloth, not leather.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you missed a publish note somewhere. You can make orc masks, reforge them and imbue them. Can't enhance though, they're cloth, not leather.
Maybe devs could make colored cloth with properties hehe much like the leather

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe devs could make colored cloth with properties hehe much like the leather
Would be awesome!! I second this! But rather then resists maybe magical properties..mana regen/casting focus/int bonus..since cloth is technically for mages :)

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would be awesome!! I second this! But rather then resists maybe magical properties..mana regen/casting focus/int bonus..since cloth is technically for mages :)
But what would drop lets say barbed cloth ? a Greater Sheep ? lol

Im kidding maybe they could add colored cloth with the tailor bods

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a cool idea for tailors, let them craft costumes. Similar to polymorph for mages, tailors could craft lich costumes, or for those wanting to role-play as orcs, an orc costume :)

It would be more permanent than polymorph in the sense that you'd remain in that "form" for as long as you're wearing it. And, of course, anyone could wear it.

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20. Are there plans for adding more than 10 co-owners to houses? If so, what’ s the timetable?
I had no idea that this was even an issue.

And the felucca content requests get harsh jabs. Geez.....

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But what would drop lets say barbed cloth ? a Greater Sheep ? lol

Im kidding maybe they could add colored cloth with the tailor bods
I like the barbed cloth hehe ..no I was thinking more along the lines of farming mages..evil mages, juka mages pretty much any human type magical character u can cut up their robes and make "magical cloth" (which the universal cloth) then enhance them with magical gems (arcane stone for lrc) etc etc

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20. Are there plans for adding more than 10 co-owners to houses? If so, what’ s the timetable?

I had no idea that this was even an issue.

And the felucca content requests get harsh jabs. Geez.....
This is something that the KR client allowed, but was taken out when KR was retooled into the EC. Several homeowners found expanded ability quite useful.