• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unreasonably large patch downloads. (KR)

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so the UO Herald warned us about the very large (800mb) download for the latest KR patch. That's a step. But I wonder how many folks have already given up on KR due to the huge 2gb download and the subsequent patches.

When KR came out I was lucky enough to have access to a high speeed connection, only took a few hours to get that.

Well, just the other day my HD died and I did have the original KR download on a memory stick and after re-installing KR I'm still waiting for the patches to complete.

Does anyone remember back in the day when companies dealt with large files by breaking them up into multiple files? Back when due to limits on email, or the practical limits of staying online with a dial-up connection folks displayed some ingenuity when distrubiting large files?

Would it be so hard for EA to offer a version of KR and these HUGE patches in a multi-file format?

When Im traveling I do not have access to connections that will allow such huge downloads. They need to be available in smaller files.

I do not know what kind of connections most of the folks on Stratics use but I used to know some folks that actually were able to play UO with 56k dial-up connections. Well... they wont be playing KR... that's for sure.

Safe Travels, Sam