• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unplayable lag

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take three steps, pause for 2-8 seconds. Baja. Is anyone else experiencing this lag?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
lost conn, cant reconnect.
im gonna guess servers are down.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been getting it all month. I used to think that I would be playin' 'til UO was ended. This lag is a dealbreaker
Uo_Lag.jpg

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Might be your connection... I don't usually play Baja but my latency is almost half of yours (I'm on east coast so it makes sense it's not 15ms like ATL/CHES).

1616063894527.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine is like this: I don't have Lag except at EM Events.
Everyone says they have lag when they step into one of my houses.
1616085474645.png

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Considering that (I think) the uo servers on are AWS, you're gonna be hard pressed to avoid Amazon.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no issues here.

looks to me like you not only have a problem with the internet speed, there are errors on your connection causing retransmissions (packet loss). you should contact your isp.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take three steps, pause for 2-8 seconds. Baja. Is anyone else experiencing this lag?
Are you in an area of the US that has/is getting hit with all these storms. I see you play Baja as do I but I am not even 30 Miles north of Redwood city and in computer talk that aint even a blink away.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And this is why New Lemon is gonna be totally useless for those of us in the South and why we are pretty annoyed with pretty much 50% of dev time going to it (if not more given the new stuff for live shards is pretty much cooker cutter rinse repeat things now).

Not to mention have you all considered that they are gonna get 16 shards (not including the Japanese/Korean ones) logging into ONE shard to play it, and not only that the landmass of that shard is gonna go from Trammel, Felucca, Malas, Ilshenar, Tokuno Islands, Stygian Abyss, Royal City, Valley of Eodon to JUST Trammel size (not sure on where the Lost Lands will fit in) so at BEST 1/8th the size of the current world.

On Atlantic NOW it is nearly impossible to move in luna for those of us not local, let alone play a server set up like the above with 16 shards worth of players jammed into a world 1/8th the size of the existing game. And no, we shouldn't be told to go run 'other programs' to 'improve ping' I have tried those and not only have they cost more per month for any decent one, $7 the last one I tried, the ping still only goes to around 130-150 so is hardly worth it.

1616122155871.png

If you can't manage on 150ms and call it a game breaker then try this as NORMAL ping for us to the USA shards NOW. Home shard is 40ms. And yeah I know those in the USA don't really give a stuff about those of us not based there, that has been made pretty apparent due to some comments I have read.

I actually think the 'long term' aim of New Lemon is to bascially rip people off the live shards and make it that those are ghost towns which will then justify closing down those shards completely and running ONE game called New Legacy and doing away with the rest. I mean even if 50% of existing players go to NL what is that gonna make life like on the live shards. They are mainly dead now, so will be even worse and be hardly worth playing.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@MissEcho 'New Lemon' oh that made me laugh, nice one! I agree though, anybody in Europe or Asia is unlikely to be playing on their new server, I'm in England and the Europa server is apparently in Ireland, EM events are a total lagfest even at that distance with maybe 50 people there. I don't think I could play on a USA server without issues and we have a really good connection here.
As for the suggestion that it's a ploy to reduce the number of players on quiet shards to the point they become surplus to requirements, I can't say the thought didn't cross my mind after they first announced the new server. Luckily the high ping makes it unlikely many European players will play there.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure now that it's my home WiFi router that's defective. I don't know if I can convince [name of service redacted] to send me a new one.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm pretty sure now that it's my home WiFi router that's defective. I don't know if I can convince [name of service redacted] to send me a new one.
I use there's and immediately plug it into my nice router that reaches to the pool two houses away.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who is your provider? With Comcast alls you do is take it in and say it is broke and they give you a new on. See if your provider has a location near you.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who is your provider? With Comcast alls you do is take it in and say it is broke and they give you a new on. See if your provider has a location near you.
Ya if there is a "store" near you you can just take things in and get replaced. I also get a better deal on my bill when I go talk to a rep.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wire your internet connection. If you play online games, it is a must. Otherwise you are at the whim of whatever wireless weirdness that happens.

For many years, I played games on my wireless connection. I moved around, changed isps here and there. I’d always have pretty good internet but would get these lag spikes randomly throughout the day. Sometimes I would really affect my game
experience. I wired my connection and I haven’t experienced those lag spikes ever since. It really does make a difference.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 15 ft, 26AWG Nylon Braided High Speed Heavy Duty Cat8 Network LAN Patch Cord, 40Gbps 2000Mhz SFTP RJ45 Flat Cable Shielded in Wall, Indoor&Outdoor for Modem/Router/Gaming/PC
Got two of these of various lengths, run one from router to modem and one to pc itself. Improved ping over the old cables a bit.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 15 ft, 26AWG Nylon Braided High Speed Heavy Duty Cat8 Network LAN Patch Cord, 40Gbps 2000Mhz SFTP RJ45 Flat Cable Shielded in Wall, Indoor&Outdoor for Modem/Router/Gaming/PC
Got two of these of various lengths, run one from router to modem and one to pc itself. Improved ping over the old cables a bit.
I have about the same thing... I like it... and yeah I only run a direct-wired connection... never use wifi... it's a pretty cable... I like it... My son was trying to help me get more speed as my speeds went from 800mbs to 95... which is not acceptable... the cable company came and looked things over... dropped a new line from the pole to my house... but that did NOTHING for the issue... so my son thought my previous cable maybe went bad which I told him I didn't think it was the cable... I'm thinking my poor PC is well... Don't tell him ... but he's put on a few years... and it is starting to show... So... after the new cable didn't help... I um... Ordered a new younger model... something with a bit more power... and a sleek new case... I can't wait... but I don't want to tell the old man... for fear he throws a tantrum...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have to pack up my computer area because we are getting new floors. I'll try the 6 ft version on my main connection.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am waiting for fiber to come to town. My brother lives where all San Fran AT&T big wigs have vacation homes and they had fiber run so they could work from vacation home so the town agreed as long as they could get access, OMG even my business Comcast seam slow compared to his basic unlimited download/upload speed, blink and it is done.

Ning

Journeyman
I live in Wisconsin and play Sonoma and have always managed okay whether on 33.6 dialup or DSL 20+ years ago or cable now. Sometimes I need to adjust my activities due to fussiness but still run fine on the 80-90 ping I average. Most recently I had some wifi issues and still managed running both my accounts on my laptop hotspotting with my cell phone running my daughter's PC and Roku TV at the same time. UO is a pretty connection and hardware friendly game in my personal experience.

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, same here.
I live in PNW and play on Pacific and i get around ok, mostly in Umbra, but gees it is lagging out bad.
Doing wired isnt really an option for me because I have to keep my router in the hallway so it will reach my bedroom LOL
I had a feeling it is my ISP. all over they are doing "upgrades", but dang this lag made me stop last time too :/

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, same here.
I live in PNW and play on Pacific and i get around ok, mostly in Umbra, but gees it is lagging out bad.
Doing wired isnt really an option for me because I have to keep my router in the hallway so it will reach my bedroom LOL
I had a feeling it is my ISP. all over they are doing "upgrades", but dang this lag made me stop last time too :/
Ethernet cables can be as long as you need. I got them going up over door frames, up stairs... you do what you got to do lol