• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unforeseen Complication

McIan

Journeyman
The man was a derelict. All of his life and money had been spent, wasted, on drink and women. His two wives had left him when they finally gave up trying to peel him away from the bottle to which, they learned the hard way, he was firmly and devotedly wed. He had wandered from town to town looking for odd jobs only to get money enough for the next tavern visit. He was well known at them though nobody knew his real name… Dirk, Dirk Purvis. Now he languished in a small ten by fifteen cell within the confines of a dark fortress, having been kidnapped from a deserted alley astride some pub in Britain… he couldn’t remember its name.

His captors were unknown, but the jailors were gargoyles. He was fed reasonably well, and was, on occasion when he least expected it, given wine… a delicious variety he had never tasted before. Lately he had been feeling a lot better… happy even. He began joking with the gargoyles, who simply ignored him. No matter. He was alive. He had a safe space… a soft bed, food, and wine aplenty. Except for the complete lack of female companionship, at least any he could recall, what more could he ever want?

This went on for some time. He would gaze out the bars of the tiny window of his cell, take in the multi-faceted scents that nature’s flora carried on the wind and listened contemplatively to the songs of birds, and the incessant chirping of those giant grasshoppers. Even if the sights were denied him, he felt contentment, even a slight sense of joy. Life was good.

Until today.

Spiders. Large ones. He could feel them crawling on him, waking him from his nap, or sleep. Their beady eyes bore into him, invading his dreams as they advanced, fangs extended. When he awoke, he saw nothing. But he could feel them; their spindly, hairy, legs defiling his skin, working their way up his limbs toward his face. He could not rest at all without their interruptions. Even when he closed his eyes he could see them, feel them on him.

He wondered why. He had never before had any fear of them. Yes, occasionally a giant one would wander into a town where he was staying and scare people momentarily. He found their squeamishness amusing, chuckling as the Royal Guards promptly dispatched it. To him, they were nothing more than a slight menace, the sight of which he had never recoiled.

No longer. The terror was nearly overwhelming… and it showed no signs of slowing down.

“Help me,” he cried out to his jailor, who stalked over to his cell. Dirk had grabbed the thick adamantine bars and clenched them until his knuckles whitened. “I am seeing spiders! They are here with me but when I open my eyes, they are gone! Do you see them?!”

The gargoyle shook his head. “You are dreaming. Be silent.”

Another, hearing the conversation, approached, listening and watching.

“I see them!! I feel them!! Something is wrong! Let me out of here!” Dirk pleaded, his eyes wide, revealing the unmistakable sign and sincerity of his abject fear and horror.

“I shall report this to the drow,” the listening gargoyle stated before departing, ignoring the begging of the prisoner whose voice broke into sobs, the echoes of which faded as the jailor accessed a teleport tile.

McIan

Journeyman
Post Mortem

“He is dead,” the gargoyle’s impassive voice pronounced as he rose from his kneeling pose, turning to face the drow who stood in the cell doorway behind him, peering in. The drow could see the body, crumpled awkwardly, its cracked skull oozing blood slowly, and a blotchy patch on the wall to match the fresh puddle on the floor. “The fool kept ramming his head into the wall before I could stop him. He simply went mad,” he concluded.

Darthos carefully masked his concern, waving his hand nonchalantly. “So he did. Some humans cannot tolerate close quarters. Dispose of the body and prepare the cell for the next occupant,” he commanded.

The gargoyle who stood beside him, the one who had reported the incident, spoke up. “He did not go mad from confinement. He said he was seeing spiders when there were none. That delusion drove him to this,” he argued.

The drow was not used to contradiction from servants. He looked up, glaring at the jailor. “I say he went mad from confinement! He was hallucinating, of course. It happens. I shall handle this.”

Showing no signs in the slightest of being cowed by the diminutive dark elf, the gargoyle still knew further disagreement would be pointless and perhaps painful. “As you wish.”

“Wait! No! Take the body to my laboratory at the palace instead. I will run tests on it to be sure of the cause,” Darthos stated. “Accompany me there.”

The gargoyle to which he spoke, named Darro, picked up the body, light as a feather to him, and followed the drow to a teleport tile that led to the declared destination.

Once there, Darro lay the body down on a table in the lab, awaiting further orders.

Darthos nodded approval and a very slight measure of gratitude crossed his face. He quickly recovered, however, his facial expression returning to its usual, somber, state. “You may go,” he ordered. The gargoyle obeyed.

Preliminary examination of the body including blood samples only revealed that the man’s blood was charged with Utopia; the levels were abnormally high. Darthos concluded that some humans would be unable to process the drug in large amounts, perhaps even be allergic to it. If that happened, the hallucinogenic episodes that this man experienced would be repeated, and heightened. And the spiders? That had to be part of the effect of introducing drow formulae into their bodies. Maybe it was intended. Maybe that’s why it was not used as a means to control humans, but rather shelved, discarded. There were better ways of subduing and killing humans certainly.

There was one person who would know: Dharzhal T’Ar, a drow himself; the one from whose book, left behind, he derived the original recipe. He was a close friend to the hated Jexmir, who was to be blamed for it all eventually through the dispersion of his Deepwine in Yew.

I will let slip this incident to him and he will find out for me. Until then, the master must not know of this.

He ordered the guards to burn the corpse.