• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unclear "normal" seed for growing. Need some help.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... I grow plants all the time for sale on Atlantic. I'm honestly not sure what happened to drain my stores of seeds for this 4-barrel cactus. I cant find it on the charts and I'm thinking it was some kind of mutant... but at the same time, its one of the standard plants that can be made in to the full 12 rainbow of colors and my stores are full of those seeds. Its just normal, uncolored, seeds I seam to be missing. I remember, with building the seed collection originally, it was Bog Things that had just a few seeds and you had to cross them to get the rest of the collection. At one time, I know I had a big stack of these seeds but the fact is that the cacti group isn't all that popular as a garden theme. This is NOT from the particular collection. This is why I included a picture. Anyone?

Missing Cactus Seed.png

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got no clue but there is a botany section here on stratics maybe you find the answer you seek there

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure where that section is now. I know the system changed and I lost a lot of references.

Thought I would post this pic to the one already posted. For the record, I did find the seed on the particular list... but it has to be something screwy with this one. I have a batch growing now to see if they generate seeds. You can see the multi colors in this pic... of that plant, along with the grow-side of the picture I posted originally.

Missing Cactus Seed 2.png

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, gang. I was growing the particular seeds (from a wisp)… that give this 4-barrel guy. It popped yesterday morning.

4-Barrel Cacti ver 2.png

As you can all see? Zero seed production, unlike the picture above. So I was correct thinking it was different. Then I remembered that there was that great information on UOGuide.com, MissEcho, showed... I'm not quite seeing the page that came up a few months ago. It was saved from Stratics! Now? That page no longer works along with a few other bookmarks. New system vs. old.

This is where, I think the big "HELP!!!" comes from.

That business of growing colored versions of this plant? I think its from a random pair of plants to get them. Its on a different graphics chart that was on the old Stratics.

I know for a fact you cant mix priculy-pear cacti because it gives nothing but random. When you do, you use up your stocks. Could it be that one?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you follow the link I posted you will see how to make them.
Firstly, I didnt have the photographic data from a live production before I posted it.

Secondly, uo.com's data is simply plagiarism of www.uoguide.com and old Stratcis data as said.

It says nothing about the missing page I had bookmarked from old Stratics from just a few short weeks ago. Step 1 is not magically having the end product you are looking for.

I need that missing page. :) And or the simple short answer. Otherwise, I have to keep on the path I'm currently on. May take several more weeks to find.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. How the hell can UO plagiarise when the information is all their's in the first place? Not to mention, who do you think wrote the old Stratics pages?
2. The information is there:

Where to Start
Initial seeds in plain, red, blue, and yellow are obtainable from Boglings and Bogthings. In the past these seeds were campions, ferns, and tri-barrel cactus; the first generation seeds for cross pollination. The 2009 bug replaced the tri-barrel cactus seed with a random seed, most of these random seeds, when identified through a seed box or by use of poppy dust will prove to be normal plant crossing types of the later generations and follow the regular cross-pollination rules, one seed however, identifying merely as ‘cactus’ grows to be the flowery cactus previously only obtainable as a ‘peculiar’ seed, infertile and plain colored.
Go hunt boglings for seeds named 'cactus'.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. How the hell can UO plagiarise when the information is all their's in the first place? Not to mention, who do you think wrote the old Stratics pages?
2. The information is there.
Yes, my love. You want me to thank you for this?

The good players, who actually play UO , are the ones writing the data that helps countless players like me find answers... along with discussion. Seeing the URL needed is missing... and you keep selling a page that is useless... and stolen from other places? It doesnt help. All they did was copy and paste data from player based sites to add to uo.com's site. That is what is commonly known as "plagiarism".

Plagiarism - Wikipedia

Thanks to us players sharing information, we can share with others... and help uncover some of the extremely long lone-experimenting process. You act as if this is a crime.

Honestly, I'm done with answering the same question. Thank you. Next?

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since you appear to want a thread in a discussion forum rather than a playguide page, perhaps you should try the Botany and Nutrition forum rather than homes and castles?

Incidentally, just to keep the record straight, that page wasn't plagiarised, it was donated to the wiki, along with quite a lot of other pages, by the player who originally wrote it.
Me.

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So! Results finally in!!! For anyone that cares about how crazy things can happen randomly.

First I tried farming seeds from boglings… over 3 different hunts.... over 3 hours each hunt. Result? Zero seeds for this 4-barrel cacti.

Then I remembered I couldn't cross the prickly pear cacti... because it makes random seeds. Assuming just like who I ran out of 4-barrel cacti seeds. :)

First to that... I had to grow a few extra PP Cacti plants to get the seeds. Thats like 17 days a go.

Then this...

Floor of Prickly Pear Cacti.png

Welcome to the Red & Purple Greenhouse! (Atlantic)

1 floor has 21 full size (3x3) Plant Grow Beds... with 189 plants, giving 8 seeds each at 1,512 seeds total... less 1 that gave a set of white 1 set black, not counting Seeds of Renewal.

Soon they were ready, I crossed them to death.

Collection day came and I got just about every kind of plant PLUS vanilla.

I wasnt sure... what, of the cacti seeds would give me what I was after.

It wasnt until TODAY I found my long experiment had success.

4-Barrel.png

Clearly, I had a bit more then what you see in these few grow beds... but these 45 plants will give 390 seeds (with some Seeds of Renewal).

These plants are about as useless as you can get. Not a big seller! However, I pride my seed collection on having EVERYTHING within the option base. All plants, all colors... and at least 100 of everything. "Just in case". Its been some years since anyone made any big orders... but they do come, not to mention a very active tiny plant shop that only sells normal plant colors.

My tip to share? With any plant that gets confused :thumbup: with cross-pollination... keep a book by that seed that simply says "DO NOT CROSS" as a reminder.

Its been some time... but I really hope our wonderful staff throw some new action in to the seeds department. Some new resource that will see some kind of demand... and/or new plant designs for decorating. THIS is quickly becoming a lost art.