• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultimate PvM Tamer?

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm looking to make a really badass PvM tamer, now that being said, I have never played one...ever in 11 yrs, so I've thrown around a couple ideas on templates in my head, just was wondering if any of them would be actually any good!

Weaver/Disco/Tamer

110 Taming
110 Lore
115 SPW (for higher %WoD)
55 Chiv
120 Music
120 Discord
100 Med

115 SPW/55 Chiv for Arcane Empowerment and maxed 4/6 Chiv heals can heal for just under 60hp at 4/6 speed. WoD for finisher, Discord for dropping target skills/resist to maximize pet damage. Med for huge mana requirements. Suit would be 4/6 casting, 190+ mana, 20MR, 40LMC, 70s SDI. Stats would be maxed Str/Int, minimal dex. Just a shame I couldnt figure out how to use more offensive spells with the amount of SDI I have. Pets I'd consider using would be dreadmare, cu or beetle/mare combo. Not sure GD would be an option since I cant get around with no magery.

Or is there a better option for damage output if I dropped the 120 bardic skills for something more offensive? Say, Wep Skill + Tactics? Or revamp the whole idea?

T

Turdnugget

Depends on the kind of PvM you're doing... if it's soloing, Doom, Peerles, the SW route is a great way to go. Also good w/champ spawns...

If you're looking at doing champ spawns (outside of Ilsh Oaks, Ilsh/Toku spawns) then a necro/tamer mows through like it's nobody's business.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with the template you proposed is that in order to chiv heal, you need to be standing close to whatever you're trying to heal. That means that you're inside the area effects of burning gargoyles, lich lords, Melisande, Monsterous Interred Grizzle and other are effect spewing monsters at all times. That means you'll be needing chivalry to heal both your pet and yourself.

But if whatever you're fighting doesn't have an area effect attack, then you'll walk through pretty much everything like a hot knife through butter.

I'd still find some way of having at least GM magery, if not more. Healing from a distance is very valuable.

And don't forget to use gift of life on your pets.

Z

Zodiac19

Unless you are going to have someone else tame pets for you, how do you expect to get new tames back to the stable without magery for gates. Also it does not matter how good you and your pets are your pet is going to die. Without vet you are going to have to rely on someone else to res your pets. I will NOT res big pets i.e. dragons, CUs, ect and know most other tamers will not as well.

As it is with the core template of a tamer/bard your pets are the key to maximum damage and as your template sits I think you will have a hard time keeping said pets alive. Trying to do too much with a template alot of times turns into a bad thing.

Drop weaving and chiv add GM magery and at least 80 vet so you can res your own pets and the rest into med.

Lastly if you are serious about this go make a toon on the test shard to see how well it will work before you spend months and realise you have issues.

V

Vertigo

Unless you are going to have someone else tame pets for you, how do you expect to get new tames back to the stable without magery for gates.
After tame, "all stay"
recall to stables
logout
login
pet is next to you
"stall"
:)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without vet you are going to have to rely on someone else to res your pets. I will NOT res big pets i.e. dragons, CUs, ect and know most other tamers will not as well.

As it is with the core template of a tamer/bard your pets are the key to maximum damage and as your template sits I think you will have a hard time keeping said pets alive. Trying to do too much with a template alot of times turns into a bad thing.

Drop weaving and chiv add GM magery and at least 80 vet so you can res your own pets and the rest into med.
Gift of life = pet ressurection. No need for vet.

R

RichDC

Gift of life = pet ressurection. No need for vet.
No vet = Very dead pets!

Gift of life every time they die = No mana VERY quick!

G-heal without eval = about 20points per, with arcane empoqerment about 30

Vet Is ESSENTIAL for the serious tamer...at at lest 110 probably 120!

T

Turdnugget

I get by with 100 vet just fine. I've got chiv as well, but only use it in emergency situations...

I'd definately recommend vet though. It's a great way to have another method of healing your pet...it's fast and can heal a lot of HP.

If you're human, you can just circle with other ppl who are human and juse use the JoAT Gift of Renewel... with a good circle it should work pretty well. Along with Magery/vet/chiv (if you go that route) you'll have a great way of keeping pets alive for every situation.

I think a lot will depend on what kind of PvM you're going to focus on though.

I've got different templates that would be awesome for different kinds of PvM...but that wouldn't be 'as' great for other situations.

Question on Gif of Life though... on UOGuide it says "This spell will Resurrect the caster or caster's pet within a few seconds of Death "

Does that mean you have to cast GoL before the pet dies... or can you do it as a ghost?

R

RichDC

Question on Gif of Life though... on UOGuide it says "This spell will Resurrect the caster or caster's pet within a few seconds of Death "

Does that mean you have to cast GoL before the pet dies... or can you do it as a ghost?
It must be cast before death (best to do it just before you cast on yourself...no gumps for pets), then when they die you will receive the res gump as if someone else had vetted...depending on skill/circle pet can be resd to half health.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to cast it before the pet dies. Though I've never tried using spellweaving to res a pet after it's dead - I just use vet if my weaver gets caught out.

Gift of life only covers one pet at a time, so you'd have a problem if both pets were killed. If you ran a pack well... um... you need vet :D I have a feeling there's also a limit on how quickly you can cast the skill again (aside from your mana running out) so while spellweaving has a nice perk in protecting yourself and a pet, I wouldn't recommend dropping vet for it :) Even if there wasn't a delay, I wouldn't rely on it.

And of course spellweaving doesn't give stable slots.

Wenchy

R

RichDC

You need to cast it before the pet dies. Though I've never tried using spellweaving to res a pet after it's dead - I just use vet if my weaver gets caught out.

Gift of life only covers one pet at a time, so you'd have a problem if both pets were killed. If you ran a pack well... um... you need vet :D I have a feeling there's also a limit on how quickly you can cast the skill again (aside from your mana running out) so while spellweaving has a nice perk in protecting yourself and a pet, I wouldn't recommend dropping vet for it :) Even if there wasn't a delay, I wouldn't rely on it.

And of course spellweaving doesn't give stable slots.

Wenchy
Not normal that i have to correct you wenchy :)

Gift of life can cover all pets...so long as they dont die at exactly the same time, i very very often cast on both my beetle and bake.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehehe, enjoy it while it lasts :D

What I'm meaning is if you have 2 live pets and tried to cast GoL on both of them while they're alive, it won't work. At least according to the UO.com guide it says 1 bonded pet... I've always understood that to mean 1 pet at a time and not tried multiple pets, but it's not worded in idiot-proof language so I might have misread it ;) I've always understood it to mean you + 1 pet at a time and not multiples. Have you GoL'd multiple live pets at the same time?

My understanding is that you can GoL a second pet after the first dies, but you can't have them all protected up front as it were. Which would mean you'd still be screwed in a champ area if your unprotected pet got attacked for example :)

Wenchy

R

RichDC

I have cast it on myself, beetle and bake all at the same time...with the effect (once they die of course) working on all...and then re-casting when they are back up.

I havent tried it on say a pack of scorps.

S

Shantia

Have to cast gift of life as the pet is dying or keep track of the timer and just renew it when it wears off (which can be iffy/tricky if you mistime the timer). Doesnt work if the pet has already died as well. So, it dies, it rezes, it dies again cause it rezes right in the center of whatever you were fighting..never understood the point of putting gift of life on a pet..myself yes, when i'm getting hit i generally run like a chicken and die from an explosion or something lol.

Z

Zodiac19

G-heal without eval = about 20points per, with arcane empoqerment about 30
Not so!!! magery heals are based entirely off of the magery skill. My main tamer has 120 magery and zero eval and I heal quite nicely with magery. It is a rare occasion where I use vet to heal at all, 99% of my pet healing comes from magery alone. I do have 120 vet as well for the times I need both and for stable slots.

G-Heal formula: Target is healed by 40% (caster's Magery) + (1-10)

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always cast gift of life on my spellweaver first, then cast it on her foxes. That way when I get the warning for me, I know I need to cast it on them again as well. If you had 5 pets, you could cast it on all of you. Only requirement is that you have to cast it on a bonded pet.

If you're in the habit of challenging yourself, and using pets that don't have a ton of HP, vet with 2/6 greater heals work miracles. You can get the heals off while the bandaids are applying.

B

Banner

I'm looking to make a really badass PvM tamer, now that being said, I have never played one...ever in 11 yrs, so I've thrown around a couple ideas on templates in my head, just was wondering if any of them would be actually any good!

Weaver/Disco/Tamer

110 Taming
110 Lore
115 SPW (for higher %WoD)
55 Chiv
120 Music
120 Discord
100 Med

115 SPW/55 Chiv for Arcane Empowerment and maxed 4/6 Chiv heals can heal for just under 60hp at 4/6 speed. WoD for finisher, Discord for dropping target skills/resist to maximize pet damage. Med for huge mana requirements. Suit would be 4/6 casting, 190+ mana, 20MR, 40LMC, 70s SDI. Stats would be maxed Str/Int, minimal dex. Just a shame I couldnt figure out how to use more offensive spells with the amount of SDI I have. Pets I'd consider using would be dreadmare, cu or beetle/mare combo. Not sure GD would be an option since I cant get around with no magery.

Or is there a better option for damage output if I dropped the 120 bardic skills for something more offensive? Say, Wep Skill + Tactics? Or revamp the whole idea?
:scholar: I think you guys got way off topic?? Everyone has great ideals for a tamer PVM but you also got way off the topic.. "Meaning trying to make a case as to why yours works better than someone else's" I am too wanting to build the same kind of tamer and after reading all the post in this post now I'm confused... If someone could just post some good temp's for us to go on with the reasons to why you went the route you did that would work..

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you're building a high end template, I think it's useful to know the weakenesses as well as the strengths in a template. So while you could say the discussion here is a bit OT, I'd say that it's better to know about any pitfalls before you spend time training and find the template is weak. Speaking from experience, some templates look good on paper and suck when they meet the enemy :)

If you want a good list of templates you might find this thread is more suitable.

Or if there's something specific you want us to help with, just ask :)

Wenchy

T

Turdnugget

Gotta know what you plan on PvMing...some templates just rock certain things in PvM, whereas others are more well rounded...

For all around great PvM tamer that can do just about anything... necro/tamer/mage.

The template I've got going on is...

107 Taming (85 real +jewels)
115 Lore (101 Real +jewel)
100 Necro
100 SS
100 Magery (+15 book)
100 EI ( for para fields/this chr does champ spawns so for offensive spells)
85 Vet (not sure if i'll take it to 90 or just leave it at 85)
I'll cap it off with chiv most likely... or put the rest in med.

This template can rip through champion spawns like it's nobody's business...GD as a meatshield while I wither away.

Gives lots of great abilitys with magery/necro. Can use Animate Dead to get even more followers to help kill. Different forms that let me leech mana/regen mana. Evil Omen + Corpse Skin on the boss so my dragon does even more fire damage.

This template could also do Doom, but not quite as effective as a bard/tamer. Could do Peerless as well, and do well, since i've got EO/Corpse Skin.

I don't do much PvM other than Peerless/Doom/Champion Spawns... this chr can do them all. For Doom i'd rather use a sampire though. For Peerless, i've got another tamer being converted into a new template that is going to be more Lady Mel specific, but can also do champ spawns.

Everyone has great ideals for a tamer PVM but you also got way off the topic
I wouldn't say it got that off topic... just discussing the pros/cons to certain skills. Explaining what spells do what and what you can get away with having and not having.

I think that creating the 'ultimate' PvM template you have to discuss all possible skills that could be combined so that you get the best results. But then again, not everyone can play the 'ultimate' PvM tamer and do well at it. It's an acquired thing... it's not just cast a few spells, all kill etc etc... It takes practice... when to heal, how to position pet, what pet to use, what spell to use and when etc.

I also find it helpful to know what people plan on fighting when asking for template advice so we can suggest the best skills for the job. Some skills aren't necessary or as good for certain situations as others.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I never thought before reading the original post about using spellweaving instead of vet. I still would suggest vet for ressurecting pets, but gift of life does have some advantages.

1. It's 100% effective. There are no fails.
2. Your pet ressurects with some hit points (like use of compassion), the higher your arcane focus, the more hit points your pet has.
3. When your pet dies, you can still run away and your pet ghost will follow, allowing you to ressurect away from the fight (ok, not an advantage, but worth mentioning). I haven't tested this through stairs or server lines.

Disadvantages:
1. Having gift of life expire in the middle of a fight stinks.
2. I'm not so good at remembering to cast spells and frequently miss the warning in the spam of other spells/actions/guild talk that goes on
3. If you don't have vet, many people are becoming annoyed at having to ressurect your pet, which means that if you don't have another account with a vet/lore character, then you may as well forget it.

Personally, I'd still take vet over spellweaving, but I can see the situation where weaving could be quite useful. Especially since my tamer was:
110 taming/lore/vet/magery/weaving with the rest of the points in focus.

I just recently changed this, exchanging weaving out for EI and I'm working my taming up to 120. But that change is more because of a person style issue rather than not liking weaving. Spellweaving is a great skill as long as you're willing to take the time out to get yourself an arcane focus every day.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dropped vetting in favor of spellweaving on my main tamer quite a while ago and it's been working very well for me.
You just have to make sure you have Gift of Life up when things get hairy and get yourself some really good (high resists and hp) pets.

My template:

120 Spellweaving
120 Magery
120 Eval
100 Magic Resist
85 Meditation
105 Taming
110 Lore

P

PizzaTheHut

I'm looking at these temps and trying to figure what would do good, I just made a tamer, but did archer tamer and havingg second thoughts. i was gonna drop archery and move it to my warrior for 2 weapon fighter with poison.. now for tamer what would be more effective in battles for well rounded doom, peerless, travesty, champs and so forth.. necro/mage or spellweaver/tamer?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of the two I'd say necro mage, especially if you can't reliably find a group to get a higher level focus and maximise the skill's effectiveness. Though I crammed a template that will eventually look like:

110 tame
110 lore
110 vet
105 necro
100 ss
85 mage
50 weaving
50 med
(all real skill levels, so you could boost some skills that way)

I haven't fully trained her or settled on the final template, but the intention is to use the low level weaving spells in a mainly necro mage tamer. I'm likely to shuffle things around once I've got the skills up to test them, but that's my "sketch" for the moment. The necro mage tamer bits are in place enough to have a lot of fun, and I'm using weaving for gift of life on myself and pets, and also gift of renewal to help alongside my vetting and healing if things get crazy.

Not sure if that helps or confuses your decision more :D

Wenchy

T

Turdnugget

One of the main reason I don't really use SW is due to the fact it's often times hard to find people to focus with. SW isn't nearly as good as it could be without focus... it kinda sucks imo w/out a decent level of focus =/

Wench's template would be good for most situations. The 50 SW would be nice since at lower level champ spawns my GD doesn't do much... I kill faster with wither and the GD just follows me around munching on appetizers every so often. Nature's Fury could be a good stubstitute until latter levels in the spawn when you can go summon your pet.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the template is nice in theory but in use would be going oooOOOooOOoo lots. you will be to close healing pets your not able to gate for new pets you have no mage weapon to defend with. though it seems nice the fact is you would much rather have some magery on the template. And gift of life is no substitute for vet 2/3 the time it will give you the message can not be rezed at this location and leaves ya screwed unless with another tamer.

with good jewels and + skill items you can make some great tamers i have used all the skills i can think of with my tamer and have done some cool things best i found for champs is disco tamer for things like rikktor or oaks also great for most anything,

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My personal favorite pvm tamer template is:
120 music
120 disco
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 ninja

I've solo'd just about everything there is on siege except for obvious ones like the crimson dragon. But the peerless and champ spawns, doom etc. i've had no problems killing all of em. With hp regen armor and EP jewels i'm virtually unkillable in pvm. All the animal forms are usefull especially dog form. I would highly recommend not using any other template that auto res's pets. Keep in mind that if you res your pet next to the monster that killed it, it's gonna get ress killed alot! My favorite pets would be the Dread warhorse then the cu. Both because they are mounts and can be ridden when in trouble. Just my thoughts. Out.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love my straight mage tamers, I have three of them lol. With that said, all of them also have the ability to stone out spellweaving and the barding skills for particular applications. As an example, I'm currently training up some pets so I stone on disco on whichever tamer owns the pet so that I can disco the pet to speed up gains. I also run a disco tamer when I'm soloing certain mobs just because it's so much fun to see how fast they go down discoed.