• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Online 2

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
From what I heard, it's pretty graphics with rather boring gameplay as soon as you hit cap. Has nothing to do with UO.

Stubentiger

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Can you put things on the ground in that game?
Such a simple thing and most games don't have it.

There are other games in development that might replace the UO itch.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This seems pretty close to the older UO which to me was the best UO.

Wild Terra Online, an open world medieval MMORPG that draws inspiration from Ultima Online, presents its new gameplay trailer.

What is "Wild Terra"?

Wild Terra is a massive online multiplayer life simulator in a medieval setting with a fully player-driven economy. Here everyone will find an activity that appeals to oneself: exploring the world, hunting, crafting, building, fighting, etc. There are no NPCs in the game; therefore, the only way to get something is to create it by yourself or buy it from other players... or take it with brutal force. However we understand that not every one have enough time to "live" in the game doing everything by themselves that is why all game processes are expedited to make the game a little bit easier.

We can say this about your character progress as well. It is very boring to level up your character to XX-level just to get a good sword and start to fight. There will be levels however, but they will only grant you small additional benefits in combat, not total domination.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what I always envisioned UO 2 becoming. Take this game and implement UO's history would be a WIN WIN WIN

Black Desert Online, the next gen MMORPG
Eh, I don't see it. Just seems like another Korean MMO to me. I mean it's not even skill based, and the classes are gender specific, which is stupid. Like a prettier, but less cool archeage.

How people see this as the next step in uo style gameplay (its not) and not something like Shards is beyond me.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Eh, I don't see it. Just seems like another Korean MMO to me. I mean it's not even skill based, and the classes are gender specific, which is stupid. Like a prettier, but less cool archeage.

How people see this as the next step in uo style gameplay (its not) and not something like Shards is beyond me.
Yeah the graphics are insane for a non loading MMO. The combat system is interesting and it has pvp.

I am also interested in this game
www.shardsonline.com
It is some of the old UO leads, Skill Based, Player Housing,taming and pretty much a revamped Ultima Online
I am not sure of the backing though or interest for the road ahead

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Some other things are planned for Shards, but at the moment, it's just a Pre-Alpha with one small map to run around in and do stuff.
It will be more like a hybrid of NWN and UO with a network of player run shards, connected by hubs.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am also interested in this game
www.shardsonline.com
It is some of the old UO leads, Skill Based, Player Housing,taming and pretty much a revamped Ultima Online
I am not sure of the backing though or interest for the road ahead
I just backed this only yesterday after keep an eye on the development. I can't wait!

I also backed shroud of the avatar but now I'm more excited for shards online.

Hey @Logrus got any shards promo codes going? :D

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Logrus give me a one day pass see if I like the game :)
And if I like it I will do at least the $75 pledge!!!!

Last edited:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What game is like UO , move characters with the mouse like UO ? No Pvp areas like UO and no taking of stuff by brutal force like the one mentioned above? Houses like UO? I just do not think such a game exists, except UO. If it does please tell me.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@Cyrah that would be Shards. I'd recommend waiting for a later build solely because it's still in Pre-Alpha and it would disappoint people who expect a complete game. It's still far from being feature complete, but it's very much Ultima, from a gameplay perspective and atmosphere.
(Pledging isn't that expensive though)

That's also why I'm playing UO at the moment ;)

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I heard, it's pretty graphics with rather boring gameplay as soon as you hit cap. Has nothing to do with UO.
I can say from being a beta tester that its far from boring, and also has 3 expansions ready to go which treble the size of the game.
And how many MMo's do you know that even allow you to do Investment banking.
I highly recommend trying this, not many games I beta test that actually make me stop and say "whoa, that's new". :D

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two things that are major selling points for the Shards Online.

The game will launch with a complete game containing several official rule-sets. Our current plans include one with a well balanced set of gameplay, a hardcore PvP battle-royale, and even one featuring permanent character death: the ultimate game of risk versus reward.
That alone tells the story. As a player, and knows what they like or dislike, they have the option or lets say choice to play and choose the game they prefer how to play. So all they want to do is PvM and no worries of PK's ever they have that option. You all hardcore about your leet keyboard smashing abilities and want to rekt people then go to an all hardcore shard. Then the ultimate in game killings is a perma death shard. Have to have all glory and expect no less if you have that choice. Rekt or be rekt.

When you purchase the game, you will be able to play on player run servers and run a single ‘shard’ with no additional cost or subscription fees. In addition to the official Citadel Clusters, players will be able to run their own servers by signing up for a cluster server that is hosted by Citadel Studios. We only intend to charge just enough to cover our costs. These servers, when marked public, will be listed in-game for all players to see and join.
This is very very very important. You but the game and can play the game with no costs. Now unless you go step farther and want to run your own server hosted by them then only do you pay to cover costs. The big point is there is really no subscription. Seems some of the former UO devs were listening here on Stratics and the MMO market in general.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just got done playing the 2nd beta for Black Desert and it is interesting, but I think eventually it will be thrown on the heap with all the other MMORPG's that did not succeed

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are many successful MMO's still out there that never had the intention to compete with WoW.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the idea of shards..except what shard do I pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shards Online is the only one that interests me at the moment. I can't bring myself to muster any enthusiasm for a P2W game, or for Garriott's latest "It's not Ultima...No, I swear! *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*" disingenuous, not-even-a-real-MMO cash-grab.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, SOTA is all about the Benjamins.
Backed it a few months ago and somehow regret it.
it is if you want to Wear the best and have the best, but if you just want to play the game and have some fun you don't have to spend all dem Benjamins.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your own. :D
Yeah except I don't have the time or patience any more to "create" I'm more interested in my old age just playing when I get time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'll just play on something that looks fun. There's already a lot of shards with their unique scripts and it's only pre-alpha. Some have their own crafting system with more skills, sorts of ore and stuff. Some are roleplay oriented with an emphasis on narration and storyline.

What makes me curious is the changing dungeon they're working on at the moment.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I've been keeping my eyes on Shards Online and Albion Online. SotA looks interesting as a "distant relative" of UO, but it is not a spiritual successor by definition. I think Shards Online is making the biggest effort to become a spiritual successor, not just for us, but also for all the fans who've left for player-run shards (probably a smart business decision). And being able to build and shape your own world for other players definitely sounds like a sandbox experience.

Albion Online doesn't get much attention around Stratics, which kind of surprises me. It looks like UO's slimmer and sleeker offspring (and maybe funner, but we'll see). Aside from a humongous skill system that dwarfs UO's, it doesn't otherwise appear to be aiming for UO's abundance of complex systems and mechanics. I kind of like UO's abundance of complex systems and mechanics though. Then again, that's something that happened to UO over the course of many years.

Here's a gameplay trailer for Albion Online.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And then, of course, I still play Linkrealms, my UO away from UO. One of the coolest things about Linkrealms is that you don't just pay for a house; you pay for a big-ass plot of land that you can build whatever you want on. Pretty damn sandboxy.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
shards online; 2 questions, will there be cheating? and can a shard be wiped, or where they changed/delete things that u worked hard for?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
shards online; 2 questions, will there be cheating? and can a shard be wiped, or where they changed/delete things that u worked hard for?
Shards Online is still in a Pre-Alpha stage, so nothing is finalized. Since users can literally create their own shards, complete with rule changes, different AI, custom crafting, their own plotlines, etc...and these appear to run on their home machines... yes, I'd say some shards may vanish or be less available than someone might like. Who knows though, once the game goes live Citadel might have a shard hosting package available.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was looking forward to Black Desert tho...

But then yesterday they posted pics of some gear...and i had the impression that black desert is going to be yet an other heavily asian influenced game...that's game nr 10.001 now

Someone posted this a few months ago : Linkrealms | Old-school Sandbox MMORPG

This game seems to be a more enhanced version of Ultima Online.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And then, of course, I still play Linkrealms, my UO away from UO. One of the coolest things about Linkrealms is that you don't just pay for a house; you pay for a big-ass plot of land that you can build whatever you want on. Pretty damn sandboxy.
Damn you! ...just bought a Prince Founder pack for Linkrealms.....cya in game