• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Ultima Nonline

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.gog.com/game/ultima_7_complete

One of these days I'm going to click that "Buy together and save" button. I won't have time to play them, but I'll click it.... some day.

U7 Part 2 was awesome. I remember that being the culmination of everything I expected a free-form RPG to be. U7P1 was fun too, but had interface issues.

Anybody else with fond/different memories of the series?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
oh memories. It might actually be worth putting on my non-gaming laptop.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bought the bundle a few years back from GOG. Installs nicely and the CPU throttle is built into the installation so it is unnecessary to install it separately like previous ports.

I've had some fun with Ultima IV. Usually play via RDP on my iPhone while waiting for appointments & such.

Very reminiscent of my college years when I spent weeks at a time with my head buried into U4 via a 5.25" floppy. :)

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've had some fun with Ultima IV. Usually play via RDP on my iPhone while waiting for appointments & such.
Very reminiscent of my college years when I spent weeks at a time with my head buried into U4 via a 5.25" floppy. :)
Yeah I am thinking to install it on my laptop for when I get my knee surgery.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Ultima series would be kneet to play after your surgery. The games are leg-endary after all.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hew are you to ask that of me? That's just whack.

Now, once again, cleave me alone before we cause a divide.

DeadBob

Ancient Alien
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want those hot air balloons back! You steered them by casting wind direction spells and you floated above towns & country sides. Occasionally, you bumped into a flying dragon. They were great!

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So yeah....I started playing a bit yesterday. Interesting how many things in this one are precurser to whats familiar to us now.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, good choice.

Yeah, there's a definite evolution of concepts/interface from U7->U7P2->UO.

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me likey Ultima Underworld. I'm actually a big poser and never played the other ultimas (I do remember renting one for my nes, and having no idea how to play because I had no instruction book with the rental game) But underworld was enough for me to cough up 60 bucks to buy the UO box and talk my parents into putting my subscription on their card! (You gotta pay for the software AND a monthly fee, what a ripoff!)

So that's where wulf has been.... playing old games that have endings.... hmph.... oh and researching logging puns....

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually most of my recent gaming time was spent hacking around in God of War for the PS3, doing crap like this -
edit: Oh. So apparently we're going to auto-embed any sort of YT link. Alrighty then.

More for the challenge of writing the code in assembly to allow it than for the game itself. You haven't lived till you've successfully edited a program's code in memory while it's running. ...Woo.

I should be back in-game more now though, you can really only stare at screens full of zeroes through fs for so long before the voices in your head get sick of watching it.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy LIKE A FOX!

Although I've never confirmed what is it that the fox says, so maybe I should distance myself from that particular canine until I can confirm that we're on the same page.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because he feared it was haunted by the undead and a cross is a supernatural ward against such things?

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ah, you don't have to hound skeletons because they have no body, but I wood say your not barking up the wrong tree on the loose leaf. However if a fox supposedly only plops digested rabbits and crops on flat rocks, perhaps he had some pretty holy defecation to provide proper consecration to clear the foul desecration.