• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Ultima games on sale again

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.gog.com/promo/special_promo_ultima_series_241214

I think Ultima 7 Part 2 had the best balance between user interface and "Ultima-ness". U7P1 had a good story but some interface issues. U8 had an arguably better interface but I could never get into the story.

I've heard good things about Exult ( http://exult.sourceforge.net/ ) but haven't gotten around to trying it out. Bringing U7 into this century with a UI update is tempting though.

What were your favorite Ultimas?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I still have my Ultima 7 disc somewhere, used it years ago with Exult to replay the game. Awesome. With the flying carpet and demon sword I was a happy camper. I wish U7 series could be redone using the Skyrim engine.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were you able to make it all the way through with Exult? Any bugs of note or was it pretty seamless?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think once I got rich with the gambling exploit and had the carpet / sword combo, I stayed from main story and just flew around terrorizing the kingdom. But up to that point it worked fine.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nifty.

My vice in U7 was always enabling debug mode and screwing around with god-like powers.

As I recall, nobody 'died' in U7, they were just replaced with a corpse and teleported to a hidden island. Or was that P2? Either way, was interesting.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The magic carpet was so awesome. They need that as a vet reward in UO.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Started to replay U9 - awesome now that the bugs are mainly fixed!

Last edited:

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really wanted to like U9 back in the day but it was so buggy that I never made it very far.

They actually mailed me out updated CDs months later. I assume the backlash must have been pretty huge for them to mail out physical media without individual requests.

Never gave it another chance though.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really wanted to like U9 back in the day but it was so buggy that I never made it very far.

They actually mailed me out updated CDs months later. I assume the backlash must have been pretty huge for them to mail out physical media without individual requests.

Never gave it another chance though.
Try it again - you will like it!