• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Ugh another pole goes poof.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a little warning to all you zealots out there who spend 100k lumber and a week of your life to get a heartwood dovetail runic for that perfect fishing pole. Be CAREFUL when you cut up extra rare fish into steaks!... (and happen to have a last object macro.) Your fishing pole can be destroyed right out of your hand. Also fyi, a blessed pole can be chopped. Another valuable lesson learned, and one less PBD in game!

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doh! Knives dont destroy poles! *curses* use a knife next time Gheed... use a knife.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shivers* Does a harvester blade count as knife? Anyone wants to test?
I imbued a mages suit around my fishing pole. If that one would be destroyed, i would be in big trouble. (Thought I dont know, how i could accidently target something that doesnt leave my hands.)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(Thought I dont know, how i could accidently target something that doesnt leave my hands.)
I dont quite understand how it happened either. My last object macro is right next to my UOassist macro to bait my pole and cast. I the only thing I can think of is that I hit my last object macro by mistake then thumped my macro to bait the pole. The recorded use of the bait probably generated a "you must wait" message and auto targeted my pole destroying it. I used to just use a last object macro on bait to then target my pole but destroyed one doing this so I wrote a more complex macro I though was Gheed proof. I was wrong.

Anyway you can test the knife on a different pole but I don't think it will destroy it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I've used up about 300 fishing poles so far getting to 120 fishing skill.

:D You don't use fancy runic poles where I fish.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A perfect fishing pole .... I wonder how that one would look like. About two weeks ago on Europa a fishing pole was sold for 600k at a player auction. It was one, that i personally would have not rated good enough to use it. (LRC doesnt need to be on a fishing pole and reaching 2/6 with sc/-1 on a fishing pole would require an Ornament, which i dont own.)

@Petra: Its one of the reasons that I am not playing on Siege. I like all of my fishing poles too much. :love:

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A fishing pole is considered to be staff in UO.
But it has 0 or maybe 1 durability.

So if you strike your foe , mace --or use it to block, parry.
Then it can take damage, and go poof.

You need to either make a disarm macro.
Or stand in the middle of your ship where you can't be hit.

If you are in a dungeon or other place where you might get attacked, don't walk around with your fishing pole in hand!
This is where a disarm macro can really be useful

O

olduofan

why cant they add durability to them and then maybe we could imbue them to max weight...ha