• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UBWS IS broken

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure what the devs did with this latest update, but UBW is damn near worthless now, can't hit s*&T with it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes Use best weapon. I have 120 archery, but also carry a ubws wpn. last night I equipped it and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on a very low end spawn.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Yes Use best weapon. I have 120 archery, but also carry a ubws wpn. last night I equipped it and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on a very low end spawn.
Ranged weapon skill was able to serve as melee weapon one with UBWS? I always thought it is for 3 melee skills only.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ubw never worked like that(with archery)for me
A few weeks ago (last time I used it) it worked fine. It won't allow special, even though I have high enough tactics but I could at least hit nearly every time, now it's a whiff show...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Back in 2011 it did not work for ranged weapons but I think with the introduction of gargoyles they changed it. Not sure though...I don't have any ubw bows :(

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gwen is right, UBWS does not work for ranged weapons.
This is documented here: Magic Item Properties – Ultima Online
here
and on multiple Stratics threads.
What that says is, you can't put UBW on a ranged weapon, melee "weapons" only, which I'm aware of. But Archery is absolutely a weapon skill, and it absolutely worked prior to this last patch. UBWS on my radiant scimitar, with 120 archery, before the patch I could hit just as if I had swordsmanship, even though with 120 tactics as well, you can't use specials on a UBW weapon, which makes no sense at all. However after this patch, I barely make contact with the sword just the way you would expect with 0 swords.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Like I said it never worked for me maybe he was able to do damage anyway? My tamer carrying his luck weapon can hit and do dmg with 0 skill

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don’t forget jack of all trades for human. You still have a chance to hit with low, say 20, skill.
‘crystal ball of knowledge gives you the ultimate indicator, as per difficulty.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
as far as i know archery skill has never been able to work with the UBWS.
UBWS was only interchangeable between the 'hands on' melee skills (not including wrestling).

if it DID work for you before the last patch id say there was a oversight at some point years ago that has now been fixed.
you should be thankful you where able to use that all these years.

it makes sense to me.
unless...... does throwing allow UBWS to interchange?
because if throwing does then archery should be allowed.

it probably has something to do with the fact that bows with UBWS don't drop anymore.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Let me answer your query with 2 questions.

1) if UBWS didn’t work for bows if you had swordsmanship, why would UBWS sword weapons work with archery?
2) when did you turn stupid?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For Archers... sadly archery is not considered a "weapon" skill... sounds dumb ... but it's true... not a weapon skill... not sure what they think bows are .... but apparently they aren't a weapon... guessing that same stupidity applies to throwing... I know this as I play an archer quite a lot and we would have tournaments with Jousting... and UBWS does NOT work for even that.... using a UBWS lance as an archer is equally useless ... always has been.

I guess for me it's not that UBWS is broken it's that the DEVs idea's on what is or isn't a weapon that is broken. They hate archers and throwers I guess... They find that those of us who chose to be ranged should somehow be punished... because for some reason not standing toe to toe with things that makes you somehow less of a fighter...

gwen

Slightly Crazed
it makes sense to me.
unless...... does throwing allow UBWS to interchange?
because if throwing does then archery should be allowed.
No for throwing. Ranged skill. Even more crippled with all damage reduction , short distance, lack of gear and different weapon.

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
For Archers... sadly archery is not considered a "weapon" skill... sounds dumb ... but it's true... not a weapon skill... not sure what they think bows are .... but apparently they aren't a weapon... guessing that same stupidity applies to throwing... I know this as I play an archer quite a lot and we would have tournaments with Jousting... and UBWS does NOT work for even that.... using a UBWS lance as an archer is equally useless ... always has been.

I guess for me it's not that UBWS is broken it's that the DEVs idea's on what is or isn't a weapon that is broken. They hate archers and throwers I guess... They find that those of us who chose to be ranged should somehow be punished... because for some reason not standing toe to toe with things that makes you somehow less of a fighter...
Think about it, do you think fencers would automatically have the same skill level as archery?
It’s like saying a snooker player can pick up a pool cue (fair enough) but they should also be great at javelin?

can you not see how fencing/swords/mace differs from archery, really?

of course throwing does not work with UBWS also.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could you imagine the likes of a sampire being able to just equip a UBWS bow if he gets into trouble with a hard hitting mob or gets in a PvP situation?
Imagine how easy events would be if you could switch between ranged and melee at will? Talk about 'easy mode', everyone would be running Sampire/UBWS archers.

Naaa, UBWS should be limited to melee only. The potential loopholes and 'cheeses' across many templates would be a major spanner in the works.

UBWS has never worked between ranged and melee weapons, and never should.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK a*&holes, I"ve been beating Dread Pirates to death with UBWS swords equipped for several years now. I don't just make posts because I have nothing better to do. That being said, with 120 arch/tactics, I was able to beat the snot out of practically everything with a UBWS sword equipped. After this last patch, it's a whiff show. I can get down with the argument that it shouldn't work that way, I can't get down with people who call me a liar over a silly online game that I have absolutely no reason to lie about.....now I"m done with this thread. Go back to dreaming of how you're going to farm the upcoming Fall content 24/7 while you pretend you're "working from home".

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Directed at no one in particular. Just popped into my head.

Liar Liar Pants on Fire.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OK a*&holes, I"ve been beating Dread Pirates to death with UBWS swords equipped for several years now
Now it becomes clear! Dread pirates have literally no skills at all, Im pretty much sure they are all zero. You can equip ANY weapon without the weapon skill and without UBWS and hit pretty much 100%. I'm sure JOAT is factored in for humans, in which case you are 20 skill points above the Dread pirate, so you will rarely miss.

Go try it, I just did and I can equip anything and do the same damage.

UBWS is irrelevant on Dread Pirates. Quite frankly, they should be buffed, because they are not and have never been very 'dread'.

edit: if you are 'whiffing' as much as you say you are, its probably cos your an elf with no JOAT or, your HCI is debuffed/not there, thats just a thought. /anotheredit Or maybe you are whiffing on the orcs, that actually have weapon skills?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tis true Dread pirates not a good example.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I reckon dread pirates have high wrestling, then they put a sword or something in their hand causing them to totally suck. I never lored one so I can't be sure, but disarm one sometime. They are much better fighters without a weapon.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I reckon dread pirates have high wrestling, then they put a sword or something in their hand causing them to totally suck. I never lored one so I can't be sure, but disarm one sometime. They are much better fighters without a weapon.
Absolutely! They use Archery and quite frankly couldn't hit a barn door if they were swinging from the padlock!

I recall some bosses in the past being near unkillable if they were disarmed, Neira comes to mind, but I don't think many can be disarmed now.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now it becomes clear! Dread pirates have literally no skills at all, Im pretty much sure they are all zero. You can equip ANY weapon without the weapon skill and without UBWS and hit pretty much 100%. I'm sure JOAT is factored in for humans, in which case you are 20 skill points above the Dread pirate, so you will rarely miss.

Go try it, I just did and I can equip anything and do the same damage.

UBWS is irrelevant on Dread Pirates. Quite frankly, they should be buffed, because they are not and have never been very 'dread'.

edit: if you are 'whiffing' as much as you say you are, its probably cos your an elf with no JOAT or, your HCI is debuffed/not there, thats just a thought. /anotheredit Or maybe you are whiffing on the orcs, that actually have weapon skills?
Never disarm a dread pirate they will kill you

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wait... Wait... Has @GarthGrey's entire UO life been a lie? I know he does more high seas content than anyone I know of. How did this happen?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to know how long it takes to kill a Dread Pirate with a Bow. I have shot at them with 2 archers, that had 120 Archery, and they lost little life and I used a lot of arrows. Gave up and used a pet.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Pretty quick with 2 archers if using Chiv EOO , If managed to honor it (sometimes impossible) - even faster. One with Comp bow (DI, SSI Velocity, Lightning). Using Ai when mana allows. Another with Yumi : Velocity + Hit Lightning.
Planning to switch archers to throwers when I get SSI epps for second one. Hate carrying arrows.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Think about it, do you think fencers would automatically have the same skill level as archery?
It’s like saying a snooker player can pick up a pool cue (fair enough) but they should also be great at javelin?

can you not see how fencing/swords/mace differs from archery, really?

of course throwing does not work with UBWS also.

Macing vs Swords or Fencing are VASTLY different... now one could argue that Swords and Fencing are similar... maybe... but Fencing is most often more poking than slicing... where sword fighting is more slashing... but a mace is about Bashing which is totally different... and if you get into some maces which UO does not have... which would be more of a flail... (I really wish UO had some flails)... that is even different... but the DEVs saw fit to give each of those three a Whip... now tell me that THAT is comparable to any of those three... and I'll say "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire"... for sure... so if they can "stretch" whips into blades and maces... then surely you can stretch a bow to UBWS... Or any of the throwing weapons... ... Just saying.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Macing vs Swords or Fencing are VASTLY different... now one could argue that Swords and Fencing are similar... maybe... but Fencing is most often more poking than slicing... where sword fighting is more slashing... but a mace is about Bashing which is totally different... and if you get into some maces which UO does not have... which would be more of a flail... (I really wish UO had some flails)... that is even different... but the DEVs saw fit to give each of those three a Whip... now tell me that THAT is comparable to any of those three... and I'll say "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire"... for sure... so if they can "stretch" whips into blades and maces... then surely you can stretch a bow to UBWS... Or any of the throwing weapons... ... Just saying.
mage weapon works, so why (if we talking lore) UBWS shouldn't?
If we are talking game mechanics - ranged not using UBWS makes sense for me. Same for melee weapon with UBWS not using ranged skill.
Get melee skill. For killing some small stuff at a distance (like slimes in despise) JOAT or gargish 30 hidden throwing is enough. Or use 2 jewels (+20*2) +head piece +20 and quiver +5 if you are elf.
Pity gargs don't have hunters earrings with +20 skill.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If ubws worked for ranged you would have seen it on the pvp scene. It never worked before, would have been overpowering and every decade monkey would have a ubws bow of some type.

Dan(Tasanar)

Journeyman
Professional
UNLEASHED
If ubws worked for ranged you would have seen it on the pvp scene. It never worked before, would have been overpowering and every decade monkey would have a ubws bow of some type.
This. Every melee skill would have defaulted to a UBWS bow by this point.

There are some out there, ranged with UBWS. They snuck in shortly after the AOS launch, 2002? But this was quickly patched to prevent others from spawning and they are quite rare these days to happen on.

a wizard

Journeyman
OK a*&holes, I"ve been beating Dread Pirates to death with UBWS swords equipped for several years now. I don't just make posts because I have nothing better to do. That being said, with 120 arch/tactics, I was able to beat the snot out of practically everything with a UBWS sword equipped. After this last patch, it's a whiff show. I can get down with the argument that it shouldn't work that way, I can't get down with people who call me a liar over a silly online game that I have absolutely no reason to lie about.....now I"m done with this thread. Go back to dreaming of how you're going to farm the upcoming Fall content 24/7 while you pretend you're "working from home".
Liar.