• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Kola and UO 2D and EC.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Since it was suggest I do so after mentioning it on UHall....

I've been running both the 2D and Enhanced Client via WINE on the newest Ubuntu release.

The only issues I've had so far is sound, and that might be a setting issue on my part, the games themselves run wonderfully so don't fear changing over to Linux..it's not all that bad.

To be fair though I did have an issue installing the Enhanced Client, But copying the folder from my Window's Install (I dual Boot) to Wine's Emulated C Drive in the proper place lets me run it.

The Enhanced Client running in Ubuntu

The Classic Client running in Ubuntu.

O

Old Man of UO

A couple questions about performance;
What are your computer specs (cpu and speed, RAM, Video)?

What type of internet connection do you have, and are you seeing lag? Which shards do you play on?

Several people are reporting issues with black areas on-screen and in their radars; are you seeing this?

And, how does UO run under Ubuntu as compared to Windows (and which version of Windows)?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A couple questions about performance;
What are your computer specs (cpu and speed, RAM, Video)?

What type of internet connection do you have, and are you seeing lag? Which shards do you play on?

Several people are reporting issues with black areas on-screen and in their radars; are you seeing this?

And, how does UO run under Ubuntu as compared to Windows (and which version of Windows)?
Pentrum D 925 processor, dual core 3.0 ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia 9600GT Video Card.
Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit Desktop edition.
Window's Vista Ultimate 64-bit

To Install the Classic Client I simply downloaded the installer and launched it via WINE nothing special....the EC I copied from my Windows Partition i had issues getting the Installer to work. But for people that dual boot I thought this info would be useful.