• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

U.S. Primary Elections

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Anyone have any strong feelings about the results? NPR was abuzz with news about Tea Party-backed candidates replacing Republican incumbents in a couple of races. DC's mayor also received the boot.

Personally, I'm feeling somewhat apathetic.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You liked it. :p

B

Beer_Cayse

I agree with Aran ... I'd at least get a cooldown period.

M

Major Miner II

My comments would get me banned from Stratics again.
You know, it might not be a bad idea if Stratics started a forum where people could openly discuss politics without such a concern.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Feel free to petition all you want, but it will get you no where. Nobody who reads this forum has any power to implement what you desire.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nobody who reads this website has any care to do anything for anyone.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm leading a team of 14 to Guatemala City in January to help build a vocational center for impoverished women and teens. How about you?

M

Major Miner II

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a member of the Green Party, ill support my party... wait i cant cause its not Dem or Rep... Gotta love the outdated voting in a "Democratic" nation (oh wait, the US is really a Republic )

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
These are only primary elections--Democrats voting which Democrats they want to represent them, Republicans voting for which Republicans they want to represent them. It's not an attempt to disenfranchise the Green Party, hehe. You'll be able to vote in the general election, just like everyone else.

I'm sort of an independent, so I also declined to participate in the primaries. I'll decide who to support when the generals roll around.

America's a democratic republic: republic, because representatives are chosen to represent a multitude of constituents, and democratic, because these representatives are popularly-elected by said constituents.

F

Fayled Dhreams

These are only primary elections--Democrats voting which Democrats they want to represent them, Republicans voting for which Republicans they want to represent them. It's not an attempt to disenfranchise the Green Party, hehe. You'll be able to vote in the general election, just like everyone else.

I'm sort of an independent, so I also declined to participate in the primaries. I'll decide who to support when the generals roll around.

America's a democratic republic: republic, because representatives are chosen to represent a multitude of constituents, and democratic, because these representatives are popularly-elected by said constituents.
*ahem*
Constitutional republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

points off for failing to >properly< identify the form of government.

and *snort* the electoral college "elects" the president ...
(The Electoral College is an example of an indirect election.)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
*ahem*
Constitutional republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

points off for failing to >properly< identify the form of government.

and *snort* the electoral college "elects" the president ...
(The Electoral College is an example of an indirect election.)
1. The United States is both a democratic republic and a constitutional republic. Democratic, due to the existence of popular elections, and constitutional, because we adhere to a constitution. However, in academia, it is more common to refer to the U.S. as a "democratic republic." Sometimes, wikipedia doesn't know everything. ;)

2. The vast majority of our representatives are popularly elected. Congress, as a deliberative body representing the broadest and most diverse spectrum of voters, is by nature the most democratic branch of government. There is an exception to direct democracy, which is the President. (Senators were once an exception, as well).

P.S. Did I mention that I'm a candidate for the M.A. in Government at Johns Hopkins University--ranked 8th in the nation for political theory? I also graduated MagnaCumLaude with the B.A. in Government, earning High Honors in my field. Nice try, though. :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
God, no. Political theory is the study of how to complain about politics, not how to do politics. :lol:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's the spirit. :thumbsup:

Taylor