• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tycoon

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I made Tycoon this morning after what seemed like forever to achieve. In all these quests I have earned 1 guild sign. I wondered if that was a normal ratio?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made Tycoon this morning after what seemed like forever to achieve. In all these quests I have earned 1 guild sign. I wondered if that was a normal ratio?
Might be a little low, but they are very rare, as all "rare" drops are in this game. I got one in like 20 runs, and didn't do anymore after that because I was already bored and was trying to get the books and didn't care about the signs. Seemed like I would have to be running this quest all the time to get a full set of books, and with siege's 3x vendor prices and lower overall personal fortunes I would probably be broke long before I got a set.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was told not use use moongates and do everything by foot, in about 40 runs I have received about 6 signs. Though I've known people that do not get any. A friend rolled another toon, and that new toon gets them. I don't know why.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Have you been going on foot from location to location, or have you been using moongates/recall?
I start my quests in Trinsic and do foot runs to all locations except the islands of Magincia, Moonglow, etc, those islands I do use the gates to get to. I even run to Skara Brae and just use my boat to cross the channel.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I start my quests in Trinsic and do foot runs to all locations except the islands of Magincia, Moonglow, etc, those islands I do use the gates to get to. I even run to Skara Brae and just use my boat to cross the channel.
Don't use the moongates.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Don't use the moongates.
So it is either cancel out those quests that require a boat to do or use a gate to finish them? Taking a ship takes more time than I usually have, and I also usually end up dead on those trips so I avoid doing the sailing part and opt for a gate. Maybe that has been hampering me on getting the signs?

Have you been going on foot from location to location, or have you been using moongates/recall?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You don't have to fight the mobs on the ocean, in fact I board the boat, hand the tillerman a map and then hide/invis. It might just be mental, but it seems like hiding on the very back of the boat makes those that spawn spawn far enough back that -most- times they don't stop the boat...

What chaps me is running 5 line orders and getting damned scales time after time after time. :cursing:

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You don't have to fight the mobs on the ocean, in fact I board the boat, hand the tillerman a map and then hide/invis. It might just be mental, but it seems like hiding on the very back of the boat makes those that spawn spawn far enough back that -most- times they don't stop the boat...

What chaps me is running 5 line orders and getting damned scales time after time after time. :cursing:
I hear ya what good are dragon scales? I don't ever remember making any armor from them except one time to just see what it looked like.

I'll try standing in the back next time I get a quest for an island. I was standing mid ship and would get stopped often them get overwhelmed by several water elementals casting spells on me. When I hide the motion of the ship reveals me and I get detected.
All I can do is try this and see how it goes.

The most gold I have made for the treasury is about 95,000gp. I either received a pink or some granite for my efforts.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never get anything, Doom drops, arty drops, recipes..but i DID get signs when I was doing it. I only use moongates when im going for pinks quick. Wasted my time killing ambushers until I realized it only helps the towns gold amount received. Screw that, the wealthy land owning Governors can foot that bill. :mf_prop:

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I just finished a quest now from Trinsic to Vesper and as luck would have it I received a Fisherman's guild sign. I killed 3 groups of ambushers and added 105,000 gp to the treasury. I hope this is a new trend.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I never get anything, Doom drops, arty drops, recipes..but i DID get signs when I was doing it. I only use moongates when im going for pinks quick. Wasted my time killing ambushers until I realized it only helps the towns gold amount received. Screw that, the wealthy land owning Governors can foot that bill. :mf_prop:
I kind of like killing the ambushers and adding to the treasury. Governors have to pay enough each week for the stone perks. If I can do enough of these quests every week it might help them. I am not good at a lot of the game and this I can do pretty well and make a contribution. Plus I just like collecting the signs.

Try starting in Yew, makes for easy runs to the next town rather than boat rides.
I was planning on doing that when my citizen timer allows me to join Yew.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like starting in Britain - easy to fill orders and seems central to every destination

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I believe some of the reward is distance based. I like going Yew to Trinsic or Yew to Minoc or Vesper.
I had done a lot of those runs. You really get to know the land after so many times through.
I accepted a ship travel to Moonglow tonight and followed the advice to stand in the back of the ship. That worked very well, much better than my previous attempts.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had done a lot of those runs. You really get to know the land after so many times through.
I accepted a ship travel to Moonglow tonight and followed the advice to stand in the back of the ship. That worked very well, much better than my previous attempts.
Yeah I do alright on the ships.... most the time. I just have to remember go grab the Greater out of stables for that. The overlands I give my Hiryu a workout.

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I believe I have done somewhere between 30 and 40.... out of this, I have gotten two guild signs and one book.

The first 20 or so runs I used the public moon gates but have been strictly hoofing it since. I was told that it makes no difference how one travels but there seem to be so many possible variables in outcome/ reward received (e.g., the strength of the SoT) that I have decided to take the stringent route for now.

Does luck have an effect on this? That is something I am curious about.........

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have my opinion and it is only my opinion I know, but I think if you use Moongates AT ALL it destroys or lessens greatly your chance to get signs. Argue with me all you want, this is what I believe.
I do mine from Skara Brae, run all the land ones. kill all the ambushers that jump me and use my ship and also kill all the ambushers from the ship. I never use a Moongate.

Oh .............and I've had a set of books for ages and have almost 50 signs so this is not the voice of a rank rookie.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm with you @Parnoc I've always hoofed..... never had an issue getting signs or books. Did about 50 runs in Fel before Slim parted with his black book for me.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I still have my opinion and it is only my opinion I know, but I think if you use Moongates AT ALL it destroys or lessens greatly your chance to get signs. Argue with me all you want, this is what I believe.
I do mine from Skara Brae, run all the land ones. kill all the ambushers that jump me and use my ship and also kill all the ambushers from the ship. I never use a Moongate.

Oh .............and I've had a set of books for ages and have almost 50 signs so this is not the voice of a rank rookie.
No argument here I think you are on to something. The only reason I started using the gates was that being attacked by so many mobs on the ship I was dying more than not. Once I died I had all that extra inventory to get rid of and that part just got tiring. So I thought rather than cancel out those ship trips I would use the gate and get them done. It may not have been the wisest decision.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No argument here I think you are on to something. The only reason I started using the gates was that being attacked by so many mobs on the ship I was dying more than not. Once I died I had all that extra inventory to get rid of and that part just got tiring. So I thought rather than cancel out those ship trips I would use the gate and get them done. It may not have been the wisest decision.
I'm not sayin' it's absolutely correct but just from my experience. And yes, the ship mobs are miserable, i finally found a good snake slayer bow and can do the stuff pretty easy, well with strategy, I do as someone else on here said, I stand in the middle of the ship (I can't hide) and they usually spawn at the back of the ship far enough away to run away from, i stop and go and get em one at a time. It is painful to take the time but I feel like it does pay off in the long run. I would have to say that the not taking Moongates is more important than killing the mobs but since I have always killed them I have no point of reference there. I did do moongates for a while and it took forever after I quit taking them to start getting signs again, that I can confirm.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Changing how I rode on the ship has been a big help. I did 2 trips this morning to Moonglow. I had my Cartographer make a few world maps for my travels. Player made maps were advised over NPC game maps for some reason by Broadsword. So I used those maps and plotted a course. It worked really well standing in the back of the ship. Forgot I had auto attack on and saw myself fire off arrows as I passed by a spawn. I was long gone from them without a real fight and continued on my way. Once I landed in Moonglow I was attacked as soon as the boat had been drydocked. In the 2 trips this morning Hides have been my reward which is ok.
I think this method of being on a ship is going to work well.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When you all are talking about traveling on foot, are you implying there is a difference between on foot and mounted?

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Someone posted once that they actually walked slowly to attracted as many ambushers as possible. I have been known to stop and try to place a house on a spot I see and or shear sheep on my way along the trail. Just to make the trip more productive.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Changing how I rode on the ship has been a big help. I did 2 trips this morning to Moonglow. I had my Cartographer make a few world maps for my travels. Player made maps were advised over NPC game maps for some reason by Broadsword. So I used those maps and plotted a course. It worked really well standing in the back of the ship. Forgot I had auto attack on and saw myself fire off arrows as I passed by a spawn. I was long gone from them without a real fight and continued on my way. Once I landed in Moonglow I was attacked as soon as the boat had been drydocked. In the 2 trips this morning Hides have been my reward which is ok.
I think this method of being on a ship is going to work well.

I forgot the part about always disarm when you hide :p

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does luck have an effect on this? That is something I am curious about.........
I was curious about this as well so I tried with my tamer and full luck suit (versus non-luck armor) and didn't see noticeable difference. I only did about 20 runs though.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Ya make yer own luck... Just keep grinding.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
like many things in uo, this too is totally random

I got a guild sign on an alt toon with my second attempt (sailed from vesper to moonglow)
my primary char didn't receive one until after a weeks worth of runs for me (about 30)

don't think too much about it, just stay out of the moongates like others have said. It also doesn't hurt to cancel the really long distance ones.
I tend to keep most of mine between vesper and minoc.... or Britain and skara

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the original notes, killing the monsters only affects the amount of gold you get. It plays no role whatsoever in the drop rate of the rares.

Worn luck equipment also plays no role whatsoever.

Using moongates will severely lessen your chances at getting a rare drop.

I do not recall hearing anything related to distance. Can anyone point me out to any information regarding travel distance for trade quests?

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
According to the original notes, killing the monsters only affects the amount of gold you get. It plays no role whatsoever in the drop rate of the rares.

Worn luck equipment also plays no role whatsoever.

Using moongates will severely lessen your chances at getting a rare drop.

I do not recall hearing anything related to distance. Can anyone point me out to any information regarding travel distance for trade quests?
Yea nothing to do with distance, claimed many times just use of moongate effects outcome.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Trade orders with greater distances between the origin and destination city will boost the amount of gold deposited to the destination city treasury as well as the amount of resources rewarded."

This was on uoguide, so not sure where they got their notes from. I am in the process of doing my quests from Moonglow so I will record my results and see.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
yep. longer distance means more gold for the towns involved in the trade deal.

I just got ripped off on a couple today:
ran from minoc to trinsic for .1 detect hidden.... return trip from trinsic to minoc yielded 5 fire rubies!

haha!