• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Two quick KR questions

T

TRDACT

Well, finally managed to patch KR :) 2 quick questions:

1) I don't seem to get any particle effects from spells? Is there an option for this - currently impossible to tell if my Paladin consecrate weapon has worked.

2) It keeps telling me it is "unable to determine account's age" - what is that all about?

As an aside, tried on 2 PCs and it seems very slow, even on my 3GB machine with 256MB graphics card and triple core processor.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is a particle detail level option in the User Settings menu that should handle the particles.

As for your system, what type of video card are you using? If it's an onboard (directly on the motherboard) card, you will probably get a lot less quality than from an add-on card. Also make sure you have Direct X and your video card's drivers completely updated.

The reason why the onboard cards may be a problem is because on desktops, the Intel onboard graphics processors tend to not handle hardware Transform and Lighting. On laptops, it depends on if the graphics processor uses dedicated or shared RAM (dedicated = faster, shared uses system memory which = slower).

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1) I don't seem to get any particle effects from spells? Is there an option for this - currently impossible to tell if my Paladin consecrate weapon has worked.

2) It keeps telling me it is "unable to determine account's age" - what is that all about?

As an aside, tried on 2 PCs and it seems very slow, even on my 3GB machine with 256MB graphics card and triple core processor.
1. There are settings for the level of detail of particle effects in the Graphics tab in the options menu. I'm not sure if there is a way to turn them off or not though... and by default it should be on.

2. Whenever you open your paperdoll, you also open your character's profile (they're both on the same window, but different tabs in KR). You would get the same message if you opened up your profile in 2D. There was either a failure to synch between your character and the account age database, or it just never happened yet. Are you playing on a test shard? I think those servers might always be in the "unable to determine account's age" state... not at home to be able to check though.

Aside - Make sure your DirectX and Graphics Card driver are both fully up-to-date. The slowdown might also be a perception thing - 2D sometimes looks "faster" because it doesn't have as many frames as KR does. It could also be a number of other things - but start there (and do the other typical computer maintenance stuff - defrag, virus scan, spyware scan, etc).

T

TRDACT

Thanks for the suggestions, but:

1) I have particle detail set to high and nothing shows on either PC I have tried it on.

2) I'm not on a test server - I am on Oceania - maybe because I have only been playing 3 days so far?

My graphics card is an Nvidia 8400 with 256MB.

Cheers

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1.) Humm, do you have the latest graphic drivers?

2.) It updates weekly, that'd be why. :)

T

TRDACT

1.) Humm, do you have the latest graphic drivers?

2.) It updates weekly, that'd be why. :)
1) Yes - all the latest drivers - and it just started working lol - go figure. Maybe it just needed a restart.

2) It just updated and told me my 2 day old account has been active for 2 months :)

S

Sneaky

Go to into the graphics options there will be a 'particle detail' or something like that slider bar, put it all the way to max.

That is an issue with UO, the game, not specific to KR, happens all the time in 2D also, they are 'working on it' or have been for a long long time...

WoW, I get KR to run faster than 2D (in game running speed wise) on a...

Pentium 3 650Mhz with 128MB gfx and 512SDRAM (running KR)

vs

Sempron 3400 (1.8Ghz), 2GB DDR2RAM, 256MB gfx (running 2D)

KR runs flawlessly on both the above computers for me.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol the only two questions i would have imagined about KR would be

1: Why
2: Why

2d rocks
KR sux
Do you feel better for not contributing to the thread at all?

1) Yes - all the latest drivers - and it just started working lol - go figure. Maybe it just needed a restart.

2) It just updated and told me my 2 day old account has been active for 2 months :)
Restarts always help. ;)

Every account is given 2 free months because of some issues with the Account Age in the past, congratulations, you've shifted time!

N

Ni-

My experiences with KR on a 1.6 Ghz single processor, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB Vid(I built the comp 7 years ago, upgraded the vid card and RAM aa couple years ago).

The more I use KR the smoother it gets.

I have tested 2D & KR playable performance. I ran the same course, a straight line right through Luna(highest populated place on Chessy) during primetime, from the waste on the west side to the first house on the east side. No turns, KR doesn't waste an animation tick for direction changes which makes it faster. Both 2D and KR were set to minimum graphical settings for maximum performance.
2D took 44 seconds to run from one side to the other.
KR took 34 seconds to run from one side to the other.

I've been using KR pretty much exclusively since that last major set of bug fixes. I started using it for the resource gathering & crafting macros. I found it was sooo much nicer to use while hunting mobs. One click spell casting/targeting. One click looting of stackables(no click, drag, click, drop). I love the Zoom!. The map is still taking some getting used to because it's not as detailed, but the Zoom out feature more than makes up for any needs of needing to know the terrain. Nothing is better than pulling up the KR map and being to locate the closest healer when you're monotoned. The graphics took a little getting used to at the beginning, but what wouldn't after playing for 9 years? There are still bugs that could use some fixing, but pros out-weigh cons. For me, that is.

C

Connor_Graham

KR still has random crashes for no reason at all. For this reason alone, I will not play KR unless I'm doing Heartwood quests, which sucks because I actually like KR. They also have not fixed the bleed through of particle effects in houses from one floor to the other. The new firepit's flames when placed on the ground floor can be seen on the upper floors, and any water tiles such as waterfalls show on every floor too.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR still has random crashes for no reason at all.
So does 2D :)
But yes, KR's are much more common, and can be annoying.
I've only had one crash since November though that was actually at a time when it might've caused a death... and I didn't die because I got sucked into a Black Hole :)

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, but at least they know that it's caused by recalling while someone else is dragging something on the screen, and are making an effort to try and figure out the why behind it. With KR it's been a problem since it was introduced, and can happen at any time while doing anything.

But yes, KR's are much more common, and can be annoying. I've only had one crash since November though that was actually at a time when it might've caused a death... and I didn't die because I got sucked into a Black Hole :)
Since the first few times I had it happen while in dungeons, I've limited my KR usage to Heartwood. I've seen too many people die while in dungeons repeatedly, losing insurance money and whatever non-insured items they had on them every single time.

If they'd fix that one thing, I'd be back playing KR full time, as would quite a few others that quit using it for the same reason.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The map is still taking some getting used to because it's not as detailed

Perhaps you should check out UOSkins.com... you might find something... useful :D

T

TRDACT

Thanks all - some interesting discussion - answered my questions re account age etc.

I am now trying out 2D on my 1GB older PC and KR on the newer. I find attacking easier in KR and have had 2D crash on me while fighting a mob, but will see how I go after a longer period playing.

S

Sneaky

But yes, KR's are much more common, and can be annoying.
I've only had one crash since November though that was actually at a time when it might've caused a death... and I didn't die because I got sucked into a Black Hole :)
Not for me, 2D crashes much more than KR, in fact I know many ways of making the 2D client crash (for example hold alt+shift when another player dies on your screen, you will crash) and I have yet to find a reproducible crash in KR. This is since KR got that UBER patch, before that it did crash quite a bit more, and did not run nearly as smooth.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have yet to find a reproducible crash in KR.
Wear lots of non-blessed armor and clothing. Die. Res. Open your corpse (without equipping the armor first).

Open your paperdoll. Change into an animal form. Change out of an animal form.

Both cause extreme slowdown, often resulting in a crash.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Crashes are not totally radom, ok sometimes it crashes random, but there is one main crash, which appears when you are doing champs or having many cropses on screen. I dont know why i think a memoryleak with cropses. All i wish is a big bug fixing patch in the near future. But if you are asking a dev about KR "Sorry i cant talk about this!", a simple "We are working on it" would be much better.