• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Two questions about blacksmithing power scrolls

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are my two questions - hoping the veterans out there can help:

1) Where is the best place for a new player to obtain a blacksmithing scroll of power? Would I be best off going to Luna and looking around the mall? I'm on the Lake Austin shard if that helps.

2) If I can find a scroll, is it best to consume it as soon as possible, when my blacksmithing skill is lower? From the guides I've read here on Stractics it seems that's the best approach, but I haven't found where it's explicitly stated.

I've been away from UO for quite a while and so far, in the week or so since I started playing again, it's been great fun. The tips I've read here on Stratics have been very helpful, so thanks to all of you that put in the time to post that info!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, I would scour Luna for a 120 Blacksmith power scroll. Don't buy anything less than a 120 unless you find 10 really cheap 115 Blacksmithing power scrolls that you can bind into a 120.

You want to "eat" the 120 ps BEFORE starting your blacksmith training. This allows you to maximize your gains on each type of item. The excellent FAQ in this forum talks about the methods. But with the SA expansion, I use this method having eaten a 120 PS:

50 New Char
50-75 Kryss
75-90 Shurkien
90-100 Circlets
100-105 Royal Circlets
105-120 Boomerang (requires SA expansion)

I have done this with 3 smiths all to Legendary on 3 different shards. Also, I highly recommend you GM mining before doing blacksmtihing. This will allow you to maximize your returns when smelting with a salvage bag. This saves a ton of ingots. Find someone that can get you a fire beetle, bond with it, and then mine away and smelt ore as you go. I like Delucia for this. By the time you GM mining using this method, you have about 12K iron ingots. Using the above method, and smelting everything with a GM miner with +5 mining gloves, you will need about 25K ingots total. Acquire (or mine) the rest and then you should be set.

Good luck!

-OBSIDIAN-

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Obsidian for the great info. Now all I have to do is find a powerscroll and someone to help me with the Beetle! :)

K

Kallie Pigeon

The scrolls come from doing bods however many players have been doing bods so much that they have lots of extra scrolls. For myself I now throw away the bods for 120 blacksmith. I just don't have time (or space). It could be someone on your shard might have a scroll at least the bods they might part with. By the way I used to know a Gort on Pacific long ago. You aren't him are you?

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The scrolls come from doing bods however many players have been doing bods so much that they have lots of extra scrolls. For myself I now throw away the bods for 120 blacksmith. I just don't have time (or space). It could be someone on your shard might have a scroll at least the bods they might part with. By the way I used to know a Gort on Pacific long ago. You aren't him are you?
I think I may have played on Pacific a little bit but (and my memory is pretty hazy on this, since it's been nine years) I think I played mainly on Great Lakes or Lake Superior.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I think I may have played on Pacific a little bit but (and my memory is pretty hazy on this, since it's been nine years) I think I played mainly on Great Lakes or Lake Superior.
Well this character was named Gort and joined the Guardians of Honor on Pacific. He had a talent for dying. Somehow he managed to die almost every time the guild went anywhere. I spent some time helping to train him. He was a newbie and the timing is about right.