• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Two Chars, Mixed up templates = help needed!

Zy'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need to fit the following skills across two 'crafters' but not sure of the best way :

Char 1 Char 2
magery Magery
music Tinkering
peace Tailor
Alchemy Hiding
Carpentry Mining
Lumberjacking smithy
bow

Char one is holding peace as i deleted a substandard tamer... but will be safe while chopping trees, and then turning them into gm instruments with the carp.

Char 2 has hiding from old frostwood-free-for-all in fel, but no real need for that now. However, as carp is on other char, cant make the forges, but then - how often do u need to make one of those, and besides, i prefer elven ones.

So c'mon, ideas please, tell me what to go on what char, and do i need to flush any skills and add different ones!

Thanks in advance :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First of all, let's separate out the skills...

Magery x 2
music
peace
Hiding

Tailor
Tinkering
Alchemy
Carpentry
Mining
Lumberjacking
smithy
bow

Step 1.
Now, the first obvious thing is you'll want mining on your smith, and LJ on your carpenter/Bowcrafter. Tinkering also used metal (and miner is the skill most likely to need to make tools in the field, on the fly, so stick it on the smith. You'll want to either get arms lor on both characters, or train it once and move it around with soulstones. Tailor will probably go best on the smith, to put all your major armor production on one character.

Step 2:
Looking at the room you have left, magery, music and peace will probably fit best still on character 1 - BUT... remember, you only need 45 music & 75 magery for all the items a carpenter can make, and one can get 50 magery or 40 music (50 music if an elf) from the right equipment*, but you can't have both at the same time. Music is fairly easy to build back up, as is magery below a certain point (50 magery is a breeze on a character that's never done the New Haven quest). Keep Peace where it is currently at, since you're mainly holding it for potential future use

* Using only +15 jewelry, a library talisman, craftable ML stuff, and the fairly common Tome of lost knowledge spellbook from SE; I think it would be 47 magery maximum using jewelry, talisman and a crafted spellbook.

For character 2, you'd be better off losing magery altogether for chivalry. That way, you don't have to keep regs on you OR use a 100% LRC suit - just donate gold whenever you passs by a shrine. It leaves you more room for cargo. IF you go totally non-combatant, you'd only need 65 Chivalry (and can put hiding on this character to hid from threats).

Character 1
Carpentry
Lumberjacking
bowcraft/fletching
Arms Lore
Alchemy or Tailor**
Peacemaking
Put remaining points in a mix of magery & music, supplemented by 2 jewelry sets (one for each skill - both spawn as different expressions of the same jewelry property so you can't get both on one item). Swap jewelry as needed. As long as your pack animals are bonded, you don't need gate travel spells.
**Option: for full crafting ability, get 2 soulstones, train Tailoring up to at least 70, and swap it and alchemy out as needed (in fact, I'd probably leave alchemy on the stone except when in use, to do tailor BOD runs).

Character 2
Mining
smithy
Tailor
Tinkering
Arms Lore
Chivalry (60 to 80 points - 65 preferred minimum)
Choice of hiding (if it can be stoned over) or magery.

Again, you won't need magery for travel for this character if your pack animals are bonded. One can, however, use a mage weapon with the chivalry to kill most things that produce normal & spined leather (at least in Trammel, Felucca & Malas you won't be fighting Hiryu any time soon), and between summons (cast without the mage weapon) and reequipping the weapon for combat, should be able to take most of the horned leather producers down (especially if the right slayer type).