• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Turn off chat

S

skidder101

How do you turn this new chat off , when i use the leave button under the chat nothing happens I still get the constant chatter coming up there must be some way to stop it

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you turn this new chat off , when i use the leave button under the chat nothing happens I still get the constant chatter coming up there must be some way to stop it
There will be. Once the server portion of this update makes it off of TC1 and out to the production shards it will maintain your choice, so once you leave you will stay out of the chat system until you choose to join another channel. I am able to leave once I login and it works for me, but some people have reported, same as you, that even when they leave they are still in the chat channel. Because our shards have not received the update the new chat system in the client is not communicating properly with the old chat system that is still live on the servers. We were all warned in the patch notes that there will be oddities with the system until the update is complete. Also a few Mythic folks have posted multiple comments on this so for now we have to "leave" each time we login. A pain no doubt, but a temporary one.

Here is the thread from the 11th that includes official comments from Mythic and a link to the patch notes on the Herald: [UO Herald] Publish 63 Coming to Test Center Today! (http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=171332) Posts in this thread of interest include #11 and #17.

Here is the section of the patch notes that pertain to the new chat system:

Global Chat System

Classic Client 7.0.4.1: Updated 12/11/09 @ 5:40PM EST

•‘Chat’ button on the menu bar will now open a Channel Selection window instead of the Chat window.
•Channel Selection window will allow users to join, leave, or create a chat channel. User may only participate in one channel at a time.
•Text from a chat channel will appear in the System Messages area and in the Journal.
•Players may use the comma key (,) to participate in a chat channel.
• Fixed an issue with the Japan language setting crashing the Legacy Client
•Fixed the issue with Grapes of Wrath and Enchanted Apples not unstacking.

Enhanced Client 4.0.4.0:

•Added new button on the menu bar that opens the Channel Selection window
•Channel Selection window will allow users to join, leave, or create a chat channel. User may only participate in one channel at a time.
•Text from a chat channel will appear in chat tabs that have the ‘Custom’ chat text filter enabled.
•Players may use /c, /chat, or the comma key (,) to participate in a chat channel.

NOTE: Due to the difference in schedules of client patches and shard publishes, users will experience minor irregular behavior with this system when using the updated clients on shards that have not received the new publishes. This includes missing messages when leaving a chat channel, always auto-joining the General-Trammel channel on login, and seeing a non-finalized list of available default channels (The final list will only include: General, Looking For Group, Help, and Trade).
Happy Holidays!

U

uoBuoY

Some of us are unable to successfully "Leave" any chat channel. I simply set my channel to one of the obscure channels and get no messages.

T

Treacy

Some of us are unable to successfully "Leave" any chat channel. I simply set my channel to one of the obscure channels and get no messages.
This. Last night, the chat channel listed said "None", yet I still saw all of the global chat rolling up my screen. I can't wait for the rest of this update to happen.

U

uoBuoY

This. Last night, the chat channel listed said "None", yet I still saw all of the global chat rolling up my screen. I can't wait for the rest of this update to happen.
I use the Ilshenar channel and get no messages.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTeng, one of the UO Engineers, answered this in "Ask the Devs". It's a temporary issue, because of the new chat code interfacing with the chat code originally written for KR.

Once the new publish goes live for all shards, the situation will resolve, as the number and type of channels will change, and as the code for turning off the chat is also part of the publish, it will be then that you will be able to get the chat exit command to work.