• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tsuki Wolf overcapped resists?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There was an old thread about this going on a year ago but it leads nowhere so I won't necro it. The reason was apparently posted up to a Facebook group that is dead now.

Original post
Tsuki Wolf resist?

Now that I have just stumbled on this myself whilst playing around with some Tsukis i'm intrigued why this happens. I did nothing out of the ordinary, I saw it, lored it, tamed it and trained it 3-4 slot and that is as far as I got when I noticed the difference.

Was there any explanation as to why they overcap AFTER being trained?

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Rage was my initial suspicion, however I have now done some extensive testing and know what triggers it and my gut feeling tells me; Rage is not the cause.

This can easily be tested by any Tamer.

1st test, if you lore a Tsuki, check its resists and then attack it till it's Rage ability is activated you will get the message 'The creature goes into a rage, inflicting heavy damage!'. Lore it again and at no time will you see a change in it's resists.

For the 2nd test, simply tame a Tsuki. Check it's resists, open a gate and take it off the sub-server, check it's resists again and hey presto! You will see a boost to all resists. The boosts you see at this stage are what it will overcap by after training so you know the potential result before you even start the training process.

The boosts themselves are not random and from the 30+ Tsukis I have tamed and compared there appears to be 2 (could be more) distinct patterns it adds as follows:

1st - Phys(2) Fire(4) Cold(3) Poison(3) Energy(3)
2nd - Phys(5) Fire(3) Cold(2) Poison(3) Energy(2)

So using the the 2nd set as an example if you were to take any of the resists to max(80) during training they would display 85/83/82/83/82 respectively.
I initially thought the resists added might relate to the colour of the Tsuki but I can confirm it does not.

Why do I think it is not rage? Bake Kitsunes have Rage too and they never get a boost.

Was this intentional? Could very well be, certainly doesn't appear random.

Will I be using Tsuki Wolves now? Not likely! :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will I be using Tsuki Wolves now? Not likely! :D
LOL

I remember taking that wolf to TC and asking players to look at his resists and tell me what they saw. Prob thought I was a :dunce:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the 2nd test, simply tame a Tsuki. Check it's resists, open a gate and take it off the sub-server, check it's resists again and hey presto! You will see a boost to all resists. The boosts you see at this stage are what it will overcap by after training so you know the potential result before you even start the training process.
So you found out how to replicate it. T likes playing with sub servers. But, are those resists real? You would have to test on a 100% damage mob before and after and see if the damage taken is different.

It seems the game knows what is really there but maybe not in this case.

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 3 wolves in my stable - if merely taking them off a subserver boosted their resist - why only one has overcapped resist? The other two have resist values that I set.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you found out how to replicate it. T likes playing with sub servers. But, are those resists real? You would have to test on a 100% damage mob before and after and see if the damage taken is different.

It seems the game knows what is really there but maybe not in this case.
Good question, so I went out and tested it, long story short... Yes, the resists are real.

The tests I conducted.

Test 1
Got a fresh tamed Tsuki and kept it on the sub-server. No idea which boost it might get when I left the sub-server so I used a warrior with a 100% Fire damage Daisho (clean, no imbues) to hit it for a while. This way I knew it would be boosted by either 3 or 4 points in Fire when I jumped sub-server.
Damage ranged from 17-21
Took it off sub-server, checked it had boosted, it did and got the 2/4/3/3/3 boost. Proceeded to **** it again for a minute or so.
Damage ranged from 15-19

Test 2
Trained the same Tsuki from 3-4 slot and raised its Fire resist to 76 (lore shows 80) attacked it again for a few minutes.
Damage ranged from 8-10
Trained it to max of 80 Fire resist (lore shows 84) and repeated the process.
Damage ranged from 6-8

In conclusion, the resists are in effect when they are applied both after server hopping and beyond the cap.

I really need to get out more!

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have 3 wolves in my stable - if merely taking them off a subserver boosted their resist - why only one has overcapped resist? The other two have resist values that I set.
My guess is that it has something to do with the pets dying. The old thread mentioned some keeping the resists and some losing them upon death.

Unfortunately I can't test that theory yet as I have not bonded to any of them. But I will be putting it to the test in a weeks time! :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good question, so I went out and tested it, long story short... Yes, the resists are real.

The tests I conducted.

Test 1
Got a fresh tamed Tsuki and kept it on the sub-server. No idea which boost it might get when I left the sub-server so I used a warrior with a 100% Fire damage Daisho (clean, no imbues) to hit it for a while. This way I knew it would be boosted by either 3 or 4 points in Fire when I jumped sub-server.
Damage ranged from 17-21
Took it off sub-server, checked it had boosted, it did and got the 2/4/3/3/3 boost. Proceeded to **** it again for a minute or so.
Damage ranged from 15-19

Test 2
Trained the same Tsuki from 3-4 slot and raised its Fire resist to 76 (lore shows 80) attacked it again for a few minutes.
Damage ranged from 8-10
Trained it to max of 80 Fire resist (lore shows 84) and repeated the process.
Damage ranged from 6-8

In conclusion, the resists are in effect when they are applied both after server hopping and beyond the cap.

I really need to get out more!
Sounds like excellent tests to me.:thumbup1:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did you notice that those two patterns correspond to two armor types (Leather and Plate)?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you notice that those two patterns correspond to two armor types (Leather and Plate)?
So you are saying Tsuki Wolves are using the Dress macros and changing armor? I hope mine has a luck suit! Pet AI is improving.

JK :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So you are saying Tsuki Wolves are using the Dress macros and changing armor? I hope mine has a luck suit! Pet AI is improving.

JK :)
Wait a minute. You just stumbled on a dynamite idea : Pet wearables with properties, like SLAYER, SDI, DCI, etc..Something NEW..Wait till certain poster here sees this. He will have a field day!!:devil:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
My guess is that it has something to do with the pets dying. The old thread mentioned some keeping the resists and some losing them upon death.

Unfortunately I can't test that theory yet as I have not bonded to any of them. But I will be putting it to the test in a weeks time! :D
I killed my Tsuki wolf multiple times, resists didn't change.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Edit: I see that now, I tried to match to enhancing tables but now I see what you mean, it's the base resists. Well spotted!

Last edited: