• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Trying to understand success chance.

E

elspeth

I have been reading and rereading this page

UO Stratics *New* | Imbuing Guide

but I cannot for the life of me feel like I actually understand the success chance of imbuing items. First of all, the table makes it look like you have no chance at all of putting a 5th property on at all but I thought we were supposed to be able to put 5 properties on.

Secondly, I am really looking at modifying existing jewelry and other items as a quick and cheaper way to better armor before I dedicate to crafting all new stuff. So, do I have 100% success chance on my first imbue? Or is this related to how many properties are already on the piece? Is the weight of the property factored in?

e.g. my bard/mage has the following bracelet currently:

14 provoke
13 disco
6 archery
15 LRC
4 energy resist
Total weight 415.

What I would like to do is replace the archery with peace, raise it and then perhaps raise energy resist.

So I think the first thing I'd want to do is lower archery to 1 (or transfer it to peace 1) and then perhaps lower resist to 1. Since the item has 5 properties already am I already at 0% chance of doing even those imbues? If not, then what is my success chance and how do I calculate it?

Next, assuming I can do this, I'd change the third skill to peace 13 so that I don't need blackrock. What will be my success chance for this?
Then I would raise energy resist up to 8 bringing the total weight up to exactly 500. This way I need no specialty third tier ingredients.

Finally, is looted jewelry considered exceptional or not for success chance purposes since it has the weight of an exceptional piece even when looted.

If someone could explain how to use that page to determine my success chance at stuff I'd really appreciate it because there are several items I am wanting to modify in this way and I want to know if the above script will work and be cheaper rather than just a straight up switch third skill to 13 peace and then perhaps add energy up to 8 if possible.

thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All Jewelry is 500 base.

If Peacemaking and Archery are in the same skill group, yes you can make the change.

It's ADDING a 6th property that is impossible.

Changing the value of a property (including changing hit values, or changing slayer types, or changing skills within a group) isn't adding a property, just changing the values of the existing ones. Starts at 5 properties, finishes at 5 properties.

Calculating the success chance is a black art.

What you need to do is

Initial weight:
33 points in skills = 220% * 1.4 = 308%
LRC 15% = 75%
4 in a resist = 4/15 = 26.67% (rounded up to display as 27%

So, that's 410 intensity, not 415 (before factoring in any rounding errors)

Lower energy resist to 1%; that lowers the total intensity by 20%, or roughly 390%

Then go straight to imbuing Peacemaking (you don't need to reduce a skill that you are directly replacing).

The +6 archery is 40%*1.4 = 56% intensity.
+13 peace would be 140%/15 = 28/3 = 9.33% intensity higher than twice the archery, or 121.33% intensity.

121.33-56=65.33

so the item would go from 389.67% to 445% weight.

Raising the energy resist to 9% would add 53.33% to this, or 498.33%

So you can do this, if the rounding is done after totaling the properties. If done before the properties are added together, you might have to settle for only 8% Energy. I can't for the life of me remember which is the case (but if it were logical, the rounding should be the last step after adding the properties).
(True story: a friend of mine programming accounting software for a school system discovered one district was misplacing 10s of thousands of dollars each year because they rounded at multiple places, instead of at the end, when dividing the tax revenue up between schools)

imbues near 500% tend to be in the 15-20% range at the Queen's forge (the lower end if you aren't a gargoyle), about 2-3% lower at home.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Your chance of success depends on resulting item intensity. It doesn't matter is it the first imbue or the fifth. It depends on the intensity you are going to get after the concrete imbue.

So you use looted rings with some properties to save ingredients only (not to get better chances). A classical example is an 1 FC ring which saves you 5 relic fragments and 10 essences.

E

elspeth

So, can someone explain to me why the link I provided from stratics shows a 0% success chance next to property 5 in the table?

Are they doing things in a strange way and saying that you still have 100% success chance after imbuing the first property and on down the table until 0% chance after doing the 5th property?

In which case, it looks like a human at 120 skill should have a 100% success rate on the first 3 properties for an item. Of course if this is really about property weight and not about which number property then putting on something like max skill will screw this up because the total weight after two max imbues would be 280 and the third skill would go to 420 and thus that third property would definitely not have a 100% chance?

I agree with you Basara, it does seem like a black art.

E

elspeth

The table is for 100% property intensity.
Perhaps I don't understand what that means. If the item has 4 properties and say they add up to 400 weight total then you have a 0% chance of adding a 5th property at 100% intensity?

Again, that seems wrong because then it would be impossible to get to 500 weight.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
The formula on that page is based on H ("Human Base Value") but there are no formula or table for it calculating so I found that formula pretty useless.

Here is all you need to know:

Succes chance depends on resulting item intensity.
It doesn't depend on distribution and amount of properties.
It doesn't depend on initial item intensity.

You can check current intensity of an item by selecting Imbue -> existing property -> current value. You needn't ingredients or imbue skill for that (but need a soulforge). The same way you can get all other data (total cap, amount of imbued properites, cap for some property, property weight, ingredient needed, your chances of success, etc).

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Success rate is horrible, 14.4% chance for my 5th mod and I had 43 failures in a row. :gee:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Success rate is horrible, 14.4% chance for my 5th mod and I had 43 failures in a row. :gee:
I try walking around between tries and if it doesn' take then I try holding my breath while hopping on one leg. That usually works LOL

E

elspeth

Is there a formula for helping to determine success chance at various skill levels for the exact same imbue.

Say I take a new ring and want to add MR2 to it. I have 100% success chance if my skill is at 120 but what if it's only 80? If still 100% then what about the second property, say LMC 8?

thanks for all the replies, though it sounds like that stratics page is just wrong or I still don't understand how it works.
-Els

S

Sevin0oo0

imbues near 500% tend to be in the 15-20% range at the Queen's forge (the lower end if you aren't a gargoyle), about 2-3% lower at home.
I have a somewhat similar question about success chance...
human, 105imbue, queens, trying to add a 3rd mod to a weap. Result says 510/450 1% chance, What's that 1% 'really' mean?