• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Trying to get serious about magery

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always run a stealth mage template and found it a good template to explore with. Can even be effective in PVP if you are field fighting in groups.

But I am moving that character off to explore the shards and have decided to make a new Mage....I am no expert and really need advice...I have scoured the FAQ and PVP temp threads. I want a mage that will do well in PVM or PVP

This is what my plan is
120 magery, med, eval. RS. parry
80 Anat
40?? chiv maybe

( Can swap out 120 SW for RS for prolonged PVM play)

my suit is mid 60's across the board

I think I can get my stats to
90/80/110 ( still training so not sure what my final hp/stam and mana will be)

LMC 40
2/6 casting
HPR 11
MR 10 for 2.49 mama pts per sec
SDI 65

How hard will this be for him to be a field fighter pvp and just a solid pvm mage ?

Will I need a lot of practice and macros?

thanks for the advice!

M

Mr.Fernandes

Chivalry's not a bad choice if you have kill points to burn. More survivability is always good. With only 40 points you won't be able to use most of its powers reliably, but if memory serves me (which it may not) close wounds has a req of 0, so 40 chiv should be enough to cast it reliably.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always run a stealth mage template and found it a good template to explore with. Can even be effective in PVP if you are field fighting in groups.

But I am moving that character off to explore the shards and have decided to make a new Mage....I am no expert and really need advice...I have scoured the FAQ and PVP temp threads. I want a mage that will do well in PVM or PVP

This is what my plan is
120 magery, med, eval. RS. parry
80 Anat
40?? chiv maybe

( Can swap out 120 SW for RS for prolonged PVM play)

my suit is mid 60's across the board

I think I can get my stats to
90/80/110 ( still training so not sure what my final hp/stam and mana will be)

LMC 40
2/6 casting
HPR 11
MR 10 for 2.49 mama pts per sec
SDI 65

How hard will this be for him to be a field fighter pvp and just a solid pvm mage ?

Will I need a lot of practice and macros?

thanks for the advice!
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Med
120 Wep Skill (wep with 10+DCI and high hitspell beats a shield anyday)
100 Scribe

I would go with a wep skill instead of parry because of the dmg output you can get with using a weapon...hitspell+wep dmg.

Use at least one peice of DCI armor...but be sure to always include 15 SDI into your items, else 120 eval and scribe are worthless. SDI BEYOND 15% from items in PVP is worthless though...

Another benefit to going with a wep skill is that you do not need to go with 80 dex...leaving you able to put more into mana...I recommend having at least 128 int (with items of course) so when cursed your int doesnt drop below 120. Around 35 dex is fine (40 with crimmy)...so when you chug a dex pot you should be around 60+ dex depending on your EP. (at around 60 dex you can swing fast enough :) )

Macros? I always make one button spell macros...layout of these buttons is very important...as the less movement you make on the keyboard...the quicker you are in game. Normally I try to keep all my keys (around 40) in one location..IE: my left hand doesnt move when playing at all.

Dunno...this is just my take on mages...

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hear what you are saying Cowboy but I lose casting/ lmc and sdi
by dropping my book and vesper museum shield.

To end up with a cross bow that I would need lots of SSI HLD and HS.

I might have to go to test center to try it out.

Since I have 20 focus from my crystalline ring...so I could drop med to 100 and have 80 poison. instead of chiv.
120 magery 120 eval
120 RS 120 parry
100 med
80 anat ( for defense)
80 poison.

I need this template to work for pvm and pvp at the same time since much of the field fighting involves champs and other monsters.

G

GFY

First I would upgrade my equipment a bit. In pvp spellbooks can be disarmed. (I remember something about shields but not sure it they can too) You'll want to make sure you have all your bonuses on your equipment that can't be disarmed. You can't have anything disarmable that has LRC because you won't be able to cast.

Next I would try wrestling as a defensive skill. You can't be disarmed but you can still disarm your opponent and you have paralyzing blow as well.

Here is what my friend calls the ultimate mage.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Inscribe 100
Focus 20

You could also go with a necro mage and use a mage weapon as your defensive skill. You can still be disarmed however and this will leave you defenseless next to any dexxer that disarms you.

Mage 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Necro 120
Spirit Speak 120

This template needs a mage weapon for defense.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hear what you are saying Cowboy but I lose casting/ lmc and sdi
by dropping my book and vesper museum shield.

To end up with a cross bow that I would need lots of SSI HLD and HS.

I might have to go to test center to try it out.

Since I have 20 focus from my crystalline ring...so I could drop med to 100 and have 80 poison. instead of chiv.
120 magery 120 eval
120 RS 120 parry
100 med
80 anat ( for defense)
80 poison.

I need this template to work for pvm and pvp at the same time since much of the field fighting involves champs and other monsters.
well...sounds like you are stuck with playing a wrestle mage if you are using your current gear. again, building a suit is completely dependent on the template you decide.

if you are seriously interested in trying something new, that requires starting from scratch. find jewels that compliment your template before you begin to build anything else.

also...poisoning is useless on a mage (potions), you are much better off going with inscribe since it makes your spells MORE POTENT and also provides you with a bonus of 0 5 5 5 5 to your resists at GM.

wrestle is overrated, as is anatomy/eval for defense.

in regard to your SDI...SDI is capped at 15% in PVP (and anything above that in PVP is useless)...and if you are spawning you CAN switch to your mage book.

again...parry without 80 dex is pointless. wasting 80 stat points is what it is in PvP...a waste of stats. IE: parry is useless in PvP. Spend these skill points on something else...honestly.