• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Trying this again after 14 yrs...

Manoa

Visitor
Hey peeps, I helped open this shard back in '02. IF any one could answer these questions, it would help out alot ! Does any play this shard anymore ? I have literally seen 4 players in 2 weeks. Tram, Fel, dungeons, banks( everyone was at a bank ). How do you check for your old accounts? I cant find any help on the broadsword site, there was suppose to be a youtube video for it, but the link posted was dead. Also. and this will sound dumb, but I could not find a post icon or link on the uo forums . Lastly, whats fun now ? Where do peeps play? Any dungeons better than others ? Thanks !

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A lot of us are quiet, but there are times when we have larger groups on. What guilds were you part of back in 2002-2004?

Well, a lot of us play listening in to the General chat channel, so if you call out in there, we will respond and help you get geared up.

The last 2 weeks were a hard time for spotting people just "out and about" - the last week of the Halloween event (where they opened the Tram-side Khaldun) followed by the crafters going nuts trying to fill the tree for the start of the holiday events (Goes through the main cities, backward, started at Yew - turn in BODs to the elf to advance the tree and we barely finished it 3 days in at about 6:30 Eastern this morning). If you want to browse the WTLA Player Center, it's on the road west of Yew. Most of the stuff is free to new and returning players. It's ran by a bunch of us veterans (I started playing in March 2003 when my coworkers give me an account they'd stripped of its AoS gifts).

For old accounts, try to remember every bit of evidence you can from when you had it (account names, characters, billing address of the CC you paid with if not the actual card number, old passwords, etc.). There should be a way on the uo.com page to contact them, and eventually they'll ask you for for such stuff.

As for the uo.com forums, you have to log in with a UO account name and password. This pretty much limits it to read-only for people without accounts. Wasn't the sharpest move for security's sake, but it keeps out riff-raff.

Some of the dungeons are completely different from 2004. Especially Shame, Covetous and Wrong. The loot system is definitely different. If you want to see this shard hopping, check on Saturday nights when there's an event, though half the crowd are opportunists from other shards trying to bogart our event rares for profit.

If you last played in 2004, you might or might not have played Samurai Empire content. Either way, you might want to start there exploring your surroundings (once you get a good suit). There's some decent tamables there (especially after the changes to Taming), and the Yomotsu Mines and Fan Dancer Dojo are good for training and solo fun. Bushido is a common weapon-user semi-magic buff skill, usually in conjunction with necromancy and chivalry.

Then, work your way into the Mondain's legacy content, such as the craft-heavy aspects of Heartwood, the elven city located through the teleporter in the center of Yew. The 2006 changes to how quests work also means that while you can still do some of the old-style quests (one at a time - Griselda the hag got a recent buff), there's also space for up to 10 of the newer style quests. There's also the Spellweaving/Arcanist magic from Heartwood. Peerless boss areas and fights were also added in 2006. You'll need to do quests (mostly given in Heartwood) to enter some of the areas, such as the Blighted Grove (south of shame), Twisted Weald (inside mushroom cave at spirit moongate in ilshenar), etc. But those are fun training and hunting areas (And some areas, such as Paroxysmus Lair and Sanctuary, you'll probably need a guide for).

Stygian Abyss gave us the Underworld, Abyss, Ter Mur and Gargoyles. Quests abound, and are required to get into the Abyss (but people will usually help). There's mini-boss fights (and two Fel-ruleset spawns linked to the fel dungeon teleporters) in the Abyss, which is accessible on one end from Ter Mur, the other end from the Volcano that arose wrecking the west coast of Trammel's Fire Island. On the volcano side, is the Underworld, that you have to go through to get to the Abyss from Trammel. If you ever played the old Ultima Underworld solo games, you'll recognize a lot of the terrain in the underworld even if the contents are different. There's also some peerless fights in there (Medusa, Stygian Dragon) that require keys.

That is what you can access with a base account. There's two add-ons that add more content, but you have to pay for (once).

High Seas is an expansion for fishing and fighting pirates (or being a pirate and raiding NPC ships). Has some perks but is only really necessary if you like such things. They've talked about adding more to it, but that's been on the back burner since it was brought up at the 20th anniversary.

Time of Legends was the latest expansion, adding Eodon (A variation of the other later side-games of the solo Ultimas). Lots of dinosaurs, dragon-kin, bugs, and many of them tamable. And they are definitely a bigger challenge. Also several more quests, puzzles, mini-bosses, an REALLY nasty Ilshenar-style champ spawn, and a place called Shadowguard (which is another group thing not meant to be soloed). And some other bosses that require a whole series of quests to do.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Welcome Back! I guess I 'd just say... "What Basara Said!" BUT, if you need anything just yell in General Chat. The Welcome to Lake Austin Guild can also help you get set up and re-equipped and there are books that help you update your skills and learn about the newer aspects of the game.

I am often on... just ask for El in Gen Chat and I'll answer if I'm there!

Enjoy christmas! Thanks to Basara, Child Labor, and other crafters on the shard we have a starred Christmas tree in Yew just North of the Heartwood Entrance! Yay!

If you don't like trees... Krampus and his minions will be happy to murder you on the roads ;). - El

Hey peeps, I helped open this shard back in '02. IF any one could answer these questions, it would help out alot ! Does any play this shard anymore ? I have literally seen 4 players in 2 weeks. Tram, Fel, dungeons, banks( everyone was at a bank ). How do you check for your old accounts? I cant find any help on the broadsword site, there was suppose to be a youtube video for it, but the link posted was dead. Also. and this will sound dumb, but I could not find a post icon or link on the uo forums . Lastly, whats fun now ? Where do peeps play? Any dungeons better than others ? Thanks !