• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

True Amazing! The new Harvester Blade. :-D

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!

From the Hunter's Quest... across the dock from Skara Brea. That big Ranger house... where the new trophy display is... and you buy the deeds to make your own and so on.

So... anyone/skill-set... you can simply kill or auto kill with a fighter or archer. The blade does not need to be armed, use it like an old dagger to collect leather and/or meat... feathers. Only, no need to open the body because EVERYTHING goes right in to your backpack. :) Its the best thing I've ever seen, in the way of doing so much with a single click. The only way it would be more perfect is if it collected gold... BUT, in my business of selling endless arrows/bolts... feather collection outweighs gold. hehe.

GOODNESS! I could have used this back in the day when I was a newbie and spending hours upon hours killing harpies just for feathers!!! And cows... for leather. Then hanging around the dragon hunters to collect the new barbed leather (because they didnt want it and I couldn't kill dragons easily then). hehe. How times change. :cool:

For the record... I still sell Butcher's War Cleavers... and they are like rusty old dagger vs. these new Harvester Blades! They are really not that bad... but they only collect and cut leather, with 2-steps in 1 (not counting opening the body.) The Harvester its like velvety chocolate version of the Butcher's. hehe

Well, I just wanted to share how wonderful I think this thing is... and say HNY.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup been using it for years. Works great.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its has been around since 2009. Harvester's Blade - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

A Harvester’s Blade
  • Used on corpses, returns all possible resources to the character’s back pack
  • Grants a 10% bonus to all resources gathered
  • Does not need to be equipped

Has been a Huntsmaster reward for years.

I wish it did not put the meat in your backpack. You have to take a meat eating pet or drop it when killing dragons. 24 steaks per GD is heavy.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theory on what, babe?

I tested one out simply thinking it collected only leather, cutting up leather, as the Butcher's does... but it shocked me seeing how it works on everything stackable... less gold. :) Granted, it would be hard to hide a packie someplace, while killing harpies... even a blue bug, on-off, because it would want to fight. BUT some people have them trained up to kill far bigger/better game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Theory on what, babe?
Like your theory on the artisan festival that has also been around for years maybe... I could be wrong tho.

Turkeys give a lot of feathers for their size. And you eventually spawn something fun.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, I must agree with Pawain, skip the harpies and kill turkeys, much better benefit/cost ratio with feathers
than harpies.....

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Aibal…

I have zero clue of any set spawn of Turkey vs. 2 very good/strong spawn of harpies. Granted, I'd use (and will be testing this whole new collection soon) in the Ilsh spawn. The Cove dungeon has been ruined by redesign... BUT I used to collect in that back in the day. I'm sure it would still due.

Besides that? The super horrid nasty turkey spawn? I've killed maybe 50 of them and saw 2. Struggled with a friend to kill the first for an hour for almost nothing... the 2nd I ran away. I just pass turkey up now a days. Not worth the risk.

STILL... point being, anyplace you can gather resources... the better with this blade. ;-)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Summon two giant turkeys, then provoke them on each other. This is an unbelievable amount of fun.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you fought 1 of these monster turkeys? :confused:

Was the most challenging and biggest waste of time I have ever seen inside of UO. lol

The magic word is "SWARMS" of summoned rubbish birds to make things worse... on top of screaming so loud you are stunned. Was like fighting Rosanne Barr.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Increase the drop rate of Crystals of Shame and make an alternate path to getting whetstone AND make whetstone able to remove any weapon property on any weapon not just damage increase on exceptionally crafted weapons

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bring back self-repair loot

Bring back "repair without weakening"

Bring back a good probability for enhancing without the $$$forged metal tool

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Harvester Blade originally was one of the rewards from the old Giant Turkey event - you could get a raw turkey as part of the loot, that Butcher NPCs would give you a Harvester Blade in exchange for.

As for the math of using a Harvester Blade....

We'll use 3 creatures as an example. 1 gives 10 leather, 1 gives 12 leather, 1 gives 20 leather.

Elf/Garg, normal: Gets 10 / 12 / 20 leather, depending on the creature. If not using a BWC (or an equipped Skinning Knife - that's a LONG-forgotten easter egg with that weapon, that it has always acted like the BWC but only when equipped), it will be hides that need cut, inside the corpse. Otherwise it's cut leather.

Human, normal: Gets 11 / 13 / 22 leather (as listed by tool for Elf above)

Elf/Garg, with Harvester: Gets 11 / 13 / 22 leather, plus the base amount of meat, feathers/scales/fur, etc.

Human, with Harvester: Gets 13 / 15 / 25 leather (10% for race, then the 10% for harvester applied AFTER to the result), plus the base amount +10% for all the others.

Note that for the bonuses, each fraction of a "10" is considered to be another 10 (for rounding up), so the human bonus making 20 into 22, results with the Harvester adding another 2 (for the 20) + 1 (for the 2 added by the human bonus) for a total of 25.

As a result, while you might want to mine and LJ on an Elf, leather gathering should be on a Human using a Harvester Blade.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Harvester Blade originally was one of the rewards from the old Giant Turkey event - you could get a raw turkey as part of the loot, that Butcher NPCs would give you a Harvester Blade in exchange for.

As for the math of using a Harvester Blade....

We'll use 3 creatures as an example. 1 gives 10 leather, 1 gives 12 leather, 1 gives 20 leather.

Elf/Garg, normal: Gets 10 / 12 / 20 leather, depending on the creature. If not using a BWC (or an equipped Skinning Knife - that's a LONG-forgotten easter egg with that weapon, that it has always acted like the BWC but only when equipped), it will be hides that need cut, inside the corpse. Otherwise it's cut leather.

Human, normal: Gets 11 / 13 / 22 leather (as listed by tool for Elf above)

Elf/Garg, with Harvester: Gets 11 / 13 / 22 leather, plus the base amount of meat, feathers/scales/fur, etc.

Human, with Harvester: Gets 13 / 15 / 25 leather (10% for race, then the 10% for harvester applied AFTER to the result), plus the base amount +10% for all the others.

Note that for the bonuses, each fraction of a "10" is considered to be another 10 (for rounding up), so the human bonus making 20 into 22, results with the Harvester adding another 2 (for the 20) + 1 (for the 2 added by the human bonus) for a total of 25.

As a result, while you might want to mine and LJ on an Elf, leather gathering should be on a Human using a Harvester Blade.
Yep. I use a Human Macer with a Harvester's Blade for farming Barbed Leather from WWs in Fel. 50 Barbed Leather per. Fel gives 2x Harvested resources.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Increase the drop rate of Crystals of Shame and make an alternate path to getting whetstone AND make whetstone able to remove any weapon property on any weapon not just damage increase on exceptionally crafted weapons
It is 100% in Fel. Who is there to stop you.

I like the remove any property if it worked on jewelry or armor. I have not used a looted weapon in years.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Pawain I just went to Fel Dungeon Shame and killed 19 things and got zero Crystals of Shame from loot. Zero is distinctly less than the 100% drop rate you claim.
There was no one there to stop me.
You may want to clarify your 100% claim.

Edit: Oops, went off-topic here. This should 'a' been under the 2019 wish list thread.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You get 5 crystals of shame 100% of the time you kill one unbound energy vortex even in Tram.
Then you go to fel to kill the bosses because the drop rate for the components of the whetstone is 100% there.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Zero is distinctly less than the 100% drop rate you claim.
Sorry I only meant the whetstone quest items in fel.

I'm sure you could find tamers that would tank the crazed mage while you kill it for the 5 crystals.

I kill so many of those that I have hundreds of crystals. I would farm anything but level 5 for crystals.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep. I use a Human Macer with a Harvester's Blade for farming Barbed Leather from WWs in Fel. 50 Barbed Leather per. Fel gives 2x Harvested resources.
Thrasher and Hydra in Fel Grove are insane for a human using the Blade, for getting regular leather.