• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Troubling news re: Blackthorn

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The alleged King frequents the Buccaneer's Den bathhouse, and has implied a preference for orcs.

Who is this man? Why are we letting him rule us? He's a tyrant, a degenerate, and possibly some sort of robosexual on top of the orc thing. I don't like it.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones .... or we shall look at your browser history.
I am attracted to red-blooded humans and you will find no evidence to the contrary.

That aside, I am not King of Britannia and thus do not need to be held to the same standard as our ruling liege.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lest you ask how I came by this information or imply that I am exaggerating... a few days ago I attended a Governors' Meeting, as I make a habit of attending events to which I am not invited, and beheld the King urging the Governors and all those present to visit the Bathhouse and sample its seedy wonders. When I questioned whether this was not unusual behaviour for a King, Blackthorn responded that the orcs were what attracted him to the place! I was astonished!

How did this creature even come to power? I have suffered under the rule of at least three Britannian monarchs now who seemed to gain rulership of the throne just by saying that it ought to be so. Anybody who can wear a crown and make a speech seems to be eligible, and once instated, the only way to remove them is by death. This is ridiculous! It is no way to run a country!

When Blackthorn dies and you find yourselves under the rule of his half-orc illegitimates, maybe you too will begin to question the system.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fictionally, Blackthorn was elected to King by the remaining Nobility after Casca and Dawn's reigns, blessed by Lord British after the fact.

But uhm...haven't you ever wondered how one of Heckles' journals wound up IN Blackthorn's bed?

I don't think we need worry ourselves with the idea of bastage children seeking the throne in the future.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fictionally, Blackthorn was elected to King by the remaining Nobility after Casca and Dawn's reigns, blessed by Lord British after the fact.
Do you see the problem here? Dawn became queen by killing Casca, Casca became king by having perfect hair, Blackthorn became king just by being there and claiming that he was endorsed by a ghost...
But uhm...haven't you ever wondered how one of Heckles' journals wound up IN Blackthorn's bed?
Good lord! The man is insatiable!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you, as a lich, have a taste for red blooded humans, as you put it....

Doesn't that make you a "Reverse Necrophiliac"?

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dawn became queen by killing Casca, Casca became king by having perfect hair, Blackthorn became king just by being there and claiming that he was endorsed by a ghost...
As a foul, vile-lich
As a 'person' obsessed with living beyond the confines of a normal life I wouldn't expect you to understand the necessity of continuity from the passing of one sovereign to another. His Royal Highness isn't king simply because he was there, he's King because it was ordained. A ghost, a God, it's all the same.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*taps his fingers on the hilt of his silver sword* While I loathe the Zombie King and his illegitimate rule as much as the next guy, I'd much rather have it than a saucy Lich with a taste for blood.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lest you ask how I came by this information or imply that I am exaggerating... a few days ago I attended a Governors' Meeting, as I make a habit of attending events to which I am not invited, and beheld the King urging the Governors and all those present to visit the Bathhouse and sample its seedy wonders. When I questioned whether this was not unusual behaviour for a King, Blackthorn responded that the orcs were what attracted him to the place! I was astonished!

How did this creature even come to power? I have suffered under the rule of at least three Britannian monarchs now who seemed to gain rulership of the throne just by saying that it ought to be so. Anybody who can wear a crown and make a speech seems to be eligible, and once instated, the only way to remove them is by death. This is ridiculous! It is no way to run a country!

When Blackthorn dies and you find yourselves under the rule of his half-orc illegitimates, maybe you too will begin to question the system.
It's not only Orcs. Ever notice how he cozys up to the Goblin Governors while ignoring the human Governors? My sense is he is compensating for some insecurities by fratenizing with the small, wee ones who like to abuse humans.

Think about that being your King!

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I proclaim my own kingdom and at my royal bath house all females are welcome to apply for the job of royal washer. Elf, human, Orc and even Liches are welcome. Equal opportunity employment

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rude, rude, you're all rude and abominable. My concerns with Blackthorn's legitimacy have nothing at all to do with my undead identity. I was a perfectly normal human being for sixty-eight years and I learnt a thing or two about politics in that time. Firstly, that a king should have some credentials! What credentials does Blackthorn have? What has he done for us? Nothing!

How long has this man been king now? What changes has he made? We are still paying taxes, there are still beggars on the streets of Britain, the capital cities of the realm are still being invaded every second day by candy-coloured hyper-drakes and ethereal horned toads or whatever the hell, and the Royal Guards just keep getting uglier and uglier.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He was playing Tavern Wench with Heckles...
And, you know, I respect that.

My opinion on the man has transformed in an instant. I now see him not as an opportunistic tyrannical sex pest, but as the fruity, fabulous, all-embracing xenophile that we need to steer the liberated multicultural modern Britannia into the future. Hail King Blackthorn! Long may he reign!

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Young Blackthorn.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My then-main character, Galen, actually spoke at the coronations of both Dawn and Blackthorn. Among my proudest moments in my long UO career. Blackthorn kind of impressed him during the waning days of the inter-regnum during a cycle of EM events wherein Blackthorn, after healing the Honor Moongate, simply marched from wayward town to wayward town and gently dragged them back into Kingdom one by one. Since then he's had an impressive record of dealing with the more-magical nature of the threats we've faced and at maintaining a relatively low-drama government. (This is despite the ambiguous, but presumably quite liberal, nature of his sexual preferences and practices. You'd think that kind of King would be a scandal magnet but on GL at least not so. And the fact that he seemingly can't quite get over the whole 'go in alone without backup' thing.)

As to Dawn....Well let's say that my characters miss her. Galen actually had the honor of holding Casca down while Dawn killed him, and one of my favorite EM storylines involved tracking down and ruthlessly killing those most-responsible for her death -- including but not limited to her possessed husband.

Strange how many memories one game can hold. And those are all among the more-recent ones!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I truly miss Queen Dawn. You know its about time the King sought a wife, and produced a heir to his house.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Loved Dawn... was so sad when she died. Still occasionally visit her grave.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly the solution is for some kind necromancer - I volunteer! - to raise Dawn from the dead as a shambling but attractive zombette for Blackthorn to take as his queen.

Or he could marry the jester. I would support it.

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who else is available? There is the Gargoyle Queen, although I am not sure they would be biologically compatible. Of the independent city states, I don't think there are any princesses spare for a lusty king. The Nujel'm sultan has too many wives; maybe he could spare one or two. Delucia and Papua seem to be happily anarchist. Umbra and Luna are hypothetical democracies, but Umbra's leaders keep going insane or being assassinated by the liches, and Gorrow has ruled Luna with an iron fist for about eight election cycles now; perhaps he could marry Blackthorn.

The outsider option, which would be fantastic diplomacy and very entertaining and perhaps not outside the realms of possibility for our wild xenosexual: an Ophidian matriarch. The Terathans wouldn't like it. But they don't like anything.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You'd deprive Heckles of his wittle Thornypoo?!

No, no, this won't stand.

It's almost June, perhaps they'll throw their fabulous armoire doors wide and publicly proclaim their love as an inspiration for all Sosarian species. :grouphug::heart:

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perhaps it's time for a poly King. Just think how happy and miserable all species would be at the same time while us mere underlings can sit and watch the dramas unfold.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who else is available? There is the Gargoyle Queen, although I am not sure they would be biologically compatible. Of the independent city states, I don't think there are any princesses spare for a lusty king. The Nujel'm sultan has too many wives; maybe he could spare one or two. Delucia and Papua seem to be happily anarchist. Umbra and Luna are hypothetical democracies, but Umbra's leaders keep going insane or being assassinated by the liches, and Gorrow has ruled Luna with an iron fist for about eight election cycles now; perhaps he could marry Blackthorn.

The outsider option, which would be fantastic diplomacy and very entertaining and perhaps not outside the realms of possibility for our wild xenosexual: an Ophidian matriarch. The Terathans wouldn't like it. But they don't like anything.
Hmm You seemed to have over looked the Empress of Tokuno. That's okay as the Tokunese are quite insular and the Empress marrying a Non-Tokunese would probably not be well received. However it could unite the two kingdoms, so perhaps working on diplomatic relations with the Tokunese would be a good idea. You also seem to have forgotten the Eodonian Tribes I am sure at least one of the six chieftains might have a daughter of marriable age. Perhaps the Myrmidex might be more to his liking and they do have a Queen. I'm sure we can arrange a marriage for him that would benefit the Kingdom. If said marriage doesn't suit him he can always do like Edward II of England. On second thought forget that, Edward II was a terrible ruler disliked by his subjects. :grin:

Last edited:

Lindae Lives

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm You seemed to have over looked the Empress of Tokuno.
Heavens! How did I forget the Empress? She would be perfect!

As for the Myrmidex Queen, unfortunately I believe that the male of her species generally dies during reproduction. But a true king should be prepared to lay down his life for the future of his kingdom, and so she remains a viable option.

Last edited: