• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trouble Crafting Slayer Spellbooks

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hello all. I have a GM scribe with 108.4 magery (scrolled to 110 currently). I have held off on buying any super slayer spellbooks out of premise, because I should be able to craft one myself. However, I'm having no success at all. In fact, with the amount of scrolls I'm going through, I'm starting to wonder if I'm wasting money and time on scrolls and should just buy one off a vendor. I'd really like to find a Repond spellbook on Legends to help me with my Cyclops/Titan hunting. And of course the sole goal is to gain gold so I can buy more powerful scrolls (i.e. 115 magery, 115 eval, etc.). So spending a couple hundred-K on scrolls kind of defeats the purpose. I'm almost better off dropping 300K for a book immediately and then go hunting.

Anyway, I really would like to craft my own. Should I keep at it? Am I too low in magery? What do you recommend? Thanks!

-OBSIDIAN-

P.S. Total skills are as follows;
114.2 Med (scrolled to 115)
110.9 Wrestling (scrolled to 115)
110.0 Eval Int (scrolled to 110)
110.0 Resisting Spells (scrolled to 110)
108.4 Magery (scrolled to 110 - when scribing I carry a spellbook which puts me at 110.0)
100 Inscription
55 Chivalry

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slayer spellbooks and Superslayer spellbooks are rare. However, to get a undead slayer spellbook its fairly easy.

You only need to make a new character or have a character with room for atleast 50 inscription. Then to the inscription quest in New Haven . When you reach 50 incription then your rewards is a undead slayer spellbook.

http://www.uoguide.com/Hallowed_Spellbook

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The RNG is a fickle thing Obsidian.
Since it is a Repond Slayer you want be prepared to make every other slayer first. It just seems to work that way.
You are high enough to make Super Slayers. That's not a problem. Of course the higher your magery the better the odds of spellbook with mods, like slayers.

Keep at it! If you make a Super you don't particularly want you can always sell it and buy a Repond. Or trade with someone.

The only thing I could suggest would be to wear a Talisman with as much Inscribe bonus as you can find. Exceptional Inscribe will only put your name on the book. The Inscribe Bonus will make you failure rate less and you can crank out more books, thus improving your chances.

Don't forget to donate those unwanted books to the Library. I know it takes alot of books to get anything good, but at least it is something.

Good luck!

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Be prepared to go thru tens of thousands of scrolls. You may get lucky and pop a superslayer withing the first few thousand scrolls, but you may also take 100K scrolls to get the Repond book you want.

B

Bouche835

What is the different between a slayer and a superslayer book?

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the different between a slayer and a superslayer book?
Slayer works on just that monster ie Dragon only

Superslayer works on that family of monsters ie Reptile - works on Dragons, Drakes, Wyverns, etc

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the encouragement. It's glad to know that I'm not doing something wrong... it is just a matter of time and many scrolls.

BTW, I am wearing a Tailsman with 19% inscription bonus and 21% inscription exceptional bonus. It was the best inscription tailsman I could find on Legends. Where do you get them anyway? I've never had one drop in a monster corpse

Now one thing said perked my interest:
Don't forget to donate those unwanted books to the Library. I know it takes alot of books to get anything good, but at least it is something.
No, I am not donating my books. In fact, it seems like I'm throwing a billion away. How do you get a library card to donate? I remember reading something about the process being bugged and getting the required materials was next to impossible. Any guidance would be appreciated. I'd much prefer donating the books for a chance at getting something than dumping them in the trash chest in Luna.

Thanks all!

-OBSIDIAN-

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The talismans can be gained from doing quests in Heartwood. As they said, for inscription, you want to soley focus on the inscription bonus, not the exceptional--all that's good for is a higher chance of putting your name on the book.

You can look on UOGuide for the information--I think it's called the Verity Library Quest (maybe Verity Librarian, I can't remember)--on how to do the quest. It does require a bit of fighting skill, but the only time I've done it I didn't have much problem--I used a mage character with pretty good skills. It might be a problem with a more pure crafter, though.

Edit--Here is the place you can read up on the quest. It's the Britain Library Collection, you have to go to Verity Librarian to start it. I was close. :p

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Hmmm... Do you think I can survive solo?

115.0 Med (scrolled to 115)
110.9 Wrestling (scrolled to 115)
110.0 Eval Int (scrolled to 110)
110.0 Resisting Spells (scrolled to 110)
108.4 Magery (scrolled to 110 - when scribing I carry a spellbook which puts me at 110.0)
100 Inscription
55 Chivalry

I think I need to find some friends to help cover my back while getting scorpion sac.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just did the quest solo last night on a mage with no wrestling (using a staff of Pyros instead) but with a similar template, last night - except that the character is still in training and none of her skills were over 90 (I used EV scrolls to make up for the 90 magery)!

So, as long as you don't run into a paragon Efreet, you should be OK. In fact, I managed to kill a paragon efreet, but it was too close to claim it wasn't more luck than skill.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, as luck would have it, I crafted my first super slayer last night... an undead slayer. I'll take it! I already filled it with 64 spells. I went through about 2500 scrolls last evening. Anyway, I will continue my quest for the repond spellbook.

I guess I need to get a vendor on Legends to sell off the other good books I'm making.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Aaggghhh!!! Paragon Efreet! You were right. I just got my tail handed to me. I was doing great until he showed up. Yikes.

I guess I just need to work on my tactical prowess before I get permission to join the library club.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah, just use a warrior or other powerful template to collect the poison sacs, then hand them over to the character you want to have the donation talisman and let THAT char turn them in to the beekeeper. You will get the token for the character you want to have it at far less risk to you...a para efreet is fairly easy for a good dexxer template.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Unfortunately, this is the only developed character on this shard. My Sampire has been created, but no time has been put into him. I think I could handle the Paragon Efreet if he wasn't so fast. If I fizzle the Energy Vortex then I'm done.

I'm going to try it a few more times and see what happens.

Can I collect the sacs before I even start the quest from Petrus?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, you just got to make sure they'll last long enough to get back to him.

BTW, that's one reason I recommend EV scrolls if you take the mage in there again - they're not gonna fizzle for a caster in the 90s or higher, except from being hit (and you can temporarily cast protection to take care of that). When you see "An Efreet (Paragon)" on edge of screen, back off before it can see you, cast the two EVs, precast invisibility, run in to get it to target you, then run back to the EVs, targeting yourself with the invis as the EVs lock onto it.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That is good advice. I can create a bunch of scrolls no problem. I'll set a macro to use them and the invis. I've been casting invis manually using the icon.

How does protection avoid the fizzle when hit? Is it really worth it?

As you can see, my tactical prowess is just beginning... I spent all of my time training. Now I need to put it into action. And to think... this is all for a simple Library card!

-OBSIDIAN-

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Protection spell reduces your Faster Casting to 0, if it is any higher, and reduces your resist spells skill a bit. However, at the same time, it makes you IMMUNE to having a spell fizzle when hit; your opponents can beat on you all day, and not interrupt a mage spell. it lasts until you cast it again.

IF you don't have Faster casting,and aren't too dependent on resist spells (like trying to run around without armor) it is worth it for specific cases - it's typically something you don't keep active unless you want it. For example, it is great to use at low levels of champion spawns (lots of small creatures you are blasting with meteor swarm, chain lightning or Earthquake, where sheer numbers of attacks will keep interrupting you from lucky hits), but once you get to the bigger stuff, you recast it to remove it, so that you can cast bigger spells fast without the resist penalty. After all, in the current version of UO, Resist spells is for resisting the spells that don't do damage, directly (only damaging spell it works on are the poisons, to keep you from being poisoned, with your actual armor resists working on the poison damage itself if it lands)

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, perserverance paid off... I am now a proud owner of a library token. What I did was pre-survey all of the points (Verity, Sarakai, and Petrus). I actually collected 6 sacs and then started the quest. Worked perfectly. I brought about 30 energy vortex scrolls and it worked like a charm. Of course, no paragon efreet this time. In fact, no efreets at all. I think I moved a little east of where the efreets were spawning. So now I have something to do with the spellbooks I've created.

Anyway, back to the original topic... crafting superslayer spellbooks. So far I have crafted 1 (an Undead). I bought an Elemental slayer spellbook for 90K so I thought that was a steal. Still no repond... but I will continue to work at it.

Does Luck have anything to do with your chances? How about the Exceptional Bonus on a tailsman? I was surprised when Rachel's Runes only said the Inscription Bonus matters.

E

eolsunder

I believe the chance for super slayer is only calculated from magery+inscription. Your talisman only increases your chance for better quality spellbook, it doesn't affect your actual chance to create a superslayer since the formula works on your skill level, not your % chance.

Yea always buy a superslayer if you can if the price is low. Certain types which aren't used much sell for pretty cheap. I found it much easier to earn the gold other ways and buy them than taking the time to try and create one.