• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trip report: a tamer from scratch

ToadFrog

Visitor
UNLEASHED
For some reason unknown even to me, I decided to sub a third account. I have 3 tamers and they are all tamer/mage so I decided to try a bard tamer. I decided I am going to do it without helping myself in any way with my other accounts and without asking for help from other players. I think I will try to keep a little diary here with some stray observations; see how long it takes me to make my first million. I will probably place a small house before I hit that as a home base.

So far I am having fun; it is really hard to start in this game though! The 1000 bucks they give you is barely enough to buy a spellbook and all the scrolls they sell in New Haven.

For day one I am going to tame, tame, tame and disco everything I see. For funds, I will sell everything I can get my mitts on. I have never had a bard before, so this should be fun.

I have never been "young" before - funny you can't go to Fel.

I have taken 100% LRC suits SO for granted! Picking up regs off the ground stinks!

Going to Ilsh and buying arrows/bolts/ingots to resell is going to get me launched here. The other thing to get someone with 169 skill points quick cash - feathers! Slaughtering turkeys outside Moonglow and selling the feathers is good for a very very beginning character.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep us posted as I for one enjoy these kinds of diaries. Have fun on your adventures!

ToadFrog

Visitor
UNLEASHED
Today was a good day! I ran enough arrows and bolts back to afford a super basic LRC suit and a 9x10 house south of Yew.

Now I just need to tame, release, discord, kill over and over and over and over again! Taming is slooooow

I am finding it really kind of fun and refreshing to start from scratch. My next goals will be to GM some skills and upgrade my suit piece by piece.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You are a better human than me even when starting fresh on new shard i start with a mythic token i cant fathom training taming from starch again..
Taming is a hell of a lot easier to train these days then it was before Masteries. Once you are able to use the mastery the gains fly for doing nothing.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did my first tamer Cork the old fashion way. Took me a couple of years. All my new tamers are mythic token and mastery :)

ToadFrog

Visitor
UNLEASHED
Yeah my original plan was Mythic token for sure, but since I have 3 tamers already I decided to see how long this would take. And since I didn't use a Mythic token, I started with 30 taming. Doh! I am at 50.2 now after 3 days.

I was able to snag a couple alacrity scrolls for cheap which I plan to use in the 80s or so and then will use a mastery since I have not trained using one yet. I tend to play off and on for months to years at a time and so I miss huge chunks of gameplay.

Today's goal will be to tame, tame, tame! and hopefully get Musicianship and Animal Lore both into the 80s.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Why you haven't picked taming and disco on start? So hot hard skills will be 50?
Making money is easy in game. Very easy. Check price for bandages in Luna or New Haven. Buy cloth, cut and sell. You will usually be able to get 5-10k gold by investing your 1000 in cloth.

To train tamer you don't need good gear, just LRC.
Later you can make money selling stuff in New Magnicia Like essences, void orbs and leather.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Toadstool, your experiment is cool. If you have never tried it, this kind of plan works really well with starting a toon on Siege Perilous. You can place a house even if you have one on that account on a production shard. You will be playing with a ruleset much closer to original UO. Check it out sometime, and good luck!

ToadFrog

Visitor
UNLEASHED
Singer, I actually did play on Siege a couple years ago. I have a fisher/tamer who has some PP mares. I haven't played much there lately and I can't really say why. Maybe after this experiment, I will run around over there for a bit.

Today I hit my first GM skill! It's an easy one, but still a milestone!

lore.JPG