• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trion ArcheAge up in flames

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been a member of stratics since 1999. In that time I have been involved in many MMO's and Sandboxes. Operating as a player, a volunteer as well as consultant to many developers in the gaming industry. I have seen many games come and go, some flourish, while some decline and vanish, but I have never up until now have seen a game do a crash and burn like Trion ArchAge.

Now all games out there have their share of problems, be it bugs, exploits, hackers and so on, however on top of this is Trions failings of customer service, transparency, technical expertise, honesty, and not to mention a trail of broken promises to their player base puts them more or less on the 9th level of hell to many gamers.

ArcheAge overall is a good game. It is the management of the game that more or less that has driven players by the thousands to other titles. This last weekend yet showed the ArcheAge community Trions true colors. What was suppose to have been a 120 minute downtime unscheduled maintenance, turned out to be a 2-4 day downtime for some players as to which many have lost all land and items.

As of now they have not announced the reason why the servers went down, only promising generous compensation for their patience. This yet another promise that may not live up to expectation or fruition like the 10% discount for patrons for cash shop purchases. There is a list of others I could delve in.

The fact here is that Trion seems to be handling ArcheAge as a turn key/ vending machine model. Needless to say they are more of an affiliate of XL Games as to which Trion is not a professional game developer, nor have the right administration and technical support ArcheAge as an online game needs. It isn't a Pepsi machine you can stock and let leave in a dirty machine shop and stop by every now and then to stock and collect coins out of the cash box.

In my experience as being a business owner, a product developer, as a marketer, customer satisfaction and support is key to a business survival. A business's reputation is its most valuable resource.

The ball is now in Trions court. If they turn to wise business practices, they will find it takes no coding and very little networking.