• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tried to recruit old players :reply

S

Sir Stain

First, I was surprised at my post response. The poll was my first. I did mess that one up but now I know! I called the person that introduced me to this game and discussed the responses with him. Synopsis> The GM level is tolerable but is still too time consuming for a new player.( Therefore less and less people play) Their complaints were with the up to 120 skill. It is very expensive to get a 120 PS and then it is ridiculous to become legendary in all of our opinions. Grandmaster is just what the word implies. Cartography, lockpicking, mining, ect. does not have 120 levels. I loved one response. The person that said he played for fun and did semi agree that the skills are too time consuming to develop. When it becomes work it is not fun. Food for thought. Thanks

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first characters took forever to train, but later characters were a lot easier. Skill gain is a lot easier now than it was originally. Stat gain is also a lot easier. Getting strength meant mining for hours for 1 str.

120 skill isn't always necessary. I've gotten by with a few 110s. They are cheaper (after spring cleaning people will take to tossing them at the bank again I hope).

I think seeing skill development as something to rush is flawed. A new player shouldn't be 7x GM (or 6xLegend) overnight. The slow road to magery back then taught me to find clever uses for low level spells.

If it has really taken years to build your character in the current environment, you may want to consider looking at a skill gain guide if it is important to you. Some skills are stubborn to gain (I found remove trap and poisoning stubborn skills to raise), and you will only gain by doing certain things. Other skills require a certain level of challenge. I raised my archery on rotting corpses for example.

L

love2winalot

The biggest difference is not how long it takes to train skills, but how many skills there are now, as compared to before. Also, add in that a lot of skills in the past were totally useless, and were not needed to suppliment a main skill. It is the opposite now, as they tried to make every useless skill needed in some way. Just wait until they make Forensic Eval. a requirement to be able to Rez anyone/thing.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, there are more useful skills, but a "full"template was always the goal. In the old days, people just added magery to every template since it was always useful. It was also the the only way to really heal originally (potions were expensive and didn't have greater versions, healing did at most 6 hit points of healing). Magic resist was the only way to stop damaging spells, so everyone had it. It was really a struggle to get up in those days; today it is trivially easy. Making more skills useful does mean that template choices can be hard, but even in the old old days, you wanted 700 points of something.

There is always a tradeoff with synergy. Making skills help each other means people can really focus on something (high spirit speak to make a better necromancer, arms lore to make a better weapon/armor crafter), but it also makes generalists less useful. However generalist templates often take advantage of the strongest interactions anyway (for example, the tank mages of old and ninja tamers and sampire of today).

I see no problem with making some of the more useless skills more useful as long as it doesn't hurt what is already there. The anatomy interaction with healing made healing a lot better when it came in; it didn't nerf those using just the healing skill. Spirit speak got a lot of depth when necromancy came in. Parrying gained a lot with Bushido. These are good design examples: they add to the came without making old stuff useless.

So many skills have gotten second lives with changes. Fishing is another great example. Originally, fishing got you fish. Just fish. 100 points of fish. And more fish. SOS bottles, nets, maps, and pearls are all additions that made the skill worthwhile.

I can't imagine a game of UO with only 10 skills or 20 skills. It wouldn't have the depth without this variety. Ten years in, there are skills I still haven't really tried (taming, discordence, spellweaving, bushido), but I see the huge skill list as something to aspire to, not a burden.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are really only a hand full of skills that are hard and expensive to build to 120. Those skills are hard to get to 120 in because they are poweful and the scrolls costs are based on how frequent the drop on them is and how useful they are.

I ran champs for a couple years and rarely did a 120 magery drop I saw only 5 maybe 6 the entire time one of which I got for myself. 120 magery is also a must have for a mage because with anything less than 120 you fail high level spells quite a bit. The value of that scroll is the highest because it is very uncommon to get one and the skill is extremely useful.

On the other hand 120 chiv is worthless to have because at gm you almost never fail anything and 80 skill is perfectly useable. The scroll also drops regularly.