• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Tricks on pulling large amounts of Iron?

R

Rocklin

I am in the process of supplying enough ingots to get at least seven smiths to 70.1. Right now it is taking about 1600 per smith to get to 50 skill. I am going to need alot more ingots. Faced with this problem, what would you do to gather ingots quickly? All I am looking for is pure iron at the moment.

Thanks.

U

UOKaiser

I am in the process of supplying enough ingots to get at least seven smiths to 70.1. Right now it is taking about 1600 per smith to get to 50 skill. I am going to need alot more ingots. Faced with this problem, what would you do to gather ingots quickly? All I am looking for is pure iron at the moment.

Thanks.
Nothing too quick about it. It's all about mined per hour. The more time you save droping,moving from spot to spot the more you mine in shorter time. For example you mark a spot that you can hit 4-6 veins whiout ever moving that will save you time than mining in a corner and just grabing 1-2 veins there.
Also consider how much ore a spot has doesnt change so mark or memorize high ore spots. This will all speed up how much you mine within a certain time frame. Not to mention mining in fel if youre ok with the risk.
If youre only looking for iron I suggest mine everything you come across iron-val. Keep youre iron to build up skill and sell the rest. Use the money to buy more iron or for other needs.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're willing to buy it, you can get ingots for at/near base price (8 gp per the first 1000) from the random gypsy camps in Ilshenar. The iron workers and vagabonds sell ingots. Look on the main us.stratics.com web page atlas for the locations where most of the random camps spawn (there's a few that aren't shown, as well).

Also, Trammel cities that have recently had their NPCs reset from an invasion status will also be at default prices on the reset.

D

Dragonchilde

Sturdy shovels and a fire beetle. the sturdy shovels (rewards from BODs) had 150-200 uses, as opposed to regular ones at 50, so that maximizes the number you can carry. Use the beetle to smelt, and you don't have to constantly recall out to smelt or unload. I can strip mine for quite some time in this way, especially if you're not worried about color.

Shovels weigh less than pickaxes, so I always use my pickaxes first, and get them out of the way.

I'm carrying assorted stuff, and over 600 ingots, and only takes about 180 stone. It takes longer with a giant beetle, because you have to recall out at 1600 stone, smelt, then come back.with the Fire beetle, you just smelt and keep going, since ingots weigh MUCH less than ore. human characters also have a chance to dig up more ore, so if you're going for sheer quantity, I'd go with a human miner, for that and carrying capacity so you can stay out longer.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If you have uo KR you can mine 1k ingots in just a few minutes with a fire beatle just load 8 sturdy shovels in your macro and put it on 2 or 3 repeat and with one click you mine a whole spot dry then make another macro for smelt and in 2 pushes of the keys you have cleared a spot and proccesed the ore to ingots easy stuff if you have kr

K

Kallie Pigeon

Go to a spawn site with lots of activity and open all the old corpses and loot all the metal objects not taken. You can rapidly get some iron that way (or it seems to be rapid) or kill the stuff yourself and loot them then smelt it all down with your gm miner and a recycle bag. These days I prefer this method of getting iron although I do mine and buy ingots also.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
another good thing to do is carry a bulk order book and place in it several normal iron bods and put one of these books on your spawn hunters and that way you can add items you loot right to the bods and it does not weigh you down and you end up with lots of full bods for your smiths to turn in now this wont get you gains but is a good way to stockpile bods and still play and makes a use for all the crapy loot you see! crimson dragons are great for this go in and loot and you can fill bods fast !

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction vendors are cheap and you can buy bulk. I would do a cost benefit analysis for buying it up versus the time saved from not mining but making money in some other fashion.

If you go the mining route, you will mine more in fel than tram (double) more as a human than elf, and more in caves than on the mountainside. If you have UOA you can make macros to recall and mine to certain spots, and use your fire beetle to smelt. I have not used KR but I hear it is great for mining. Efficiency is key for loading up on ingots.

However! You can also take this opportunity to find the best spots to mine - those that give a high yield percentage of color versus normal and have a lot of ore in general. I would mark those spots as you find them, and use them when you are mining for colored later on. The color may change to something else, but it will always give the same percentage of color versus regular.

Doing this will slow you down a bit, but if it's something you were planning on doing eventually then now is the time. Two birds, one pickaxe. ;)

N

Narda Dag'thul

Thanks.
Today in the morning, before going to work, right after server up:

10mins total playing time, no UOA, no UO:KR, no fancy macros, just an UO last object-last target:

518 iron ingots
44 dull copper
110 shadow
36 bronze
12 verite
64 valorite and 3 turquoise, 1 blue diamond, 1 fire ruby.

Not bad for just 10 mins from login to logoff. I used only sturdy shovels and my trusted fire beetle. I mine only in felucca and only in caves, I still use my old runes from preTrammel times(now in runebooks of course), never tried mining in Ilsh or Umbra. And I had exceptional bad luck with the valorite, failed smelting twice in a row, cannot be bothered with splitting ore. But the gems made up for that I guess.

I just dont see your problem *shrugs*