• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Begging] Trick or treating ended early for North American shards

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yet all the other event stuff is going full-bore, even the other stuff that was supposed to end at the same time as ToT.

It seems to have ended around midnight GMT, which meant that it ended several hours before midnight for the US-based shards.

While not quite a "fair-weather beggar" as some of you call the ones that beg only for the halloween stuff, I'd let my training slip due to training my combat characters for most of the last year. I'd started working my beggar for real in September of last year, then between the BOD changes and events I kept getting distracted - I managed to get to 85 skill in the interim between Melissa & Sicarii, and found myself trying to cram on the training.

I ended up getting Grandmaster an hour or so after ToT mysteriously shut off - STILL on the 16th HERE, let alone the west coast (whose local time was 3 hours earlier than my own).

I still plan on playing my beggar - 1 sake from my second set of rares, and I've got guildmates who want the begging fishing poles and bedrolls for their houses. For me, it was the cookies that were the elusive begging item, having got Sake in early October, but I got 2 cookies on the last week. And, the gold from begging is a nice supplement to my income, especially when working the rest of the skills on him (I have this concept for him as a slightly crazy homeless combat veteran - sorta like Inu but with a sword, using mostly New Haven blessed equipment rewards for gear, the rest picked up off the floor in Luna)

S

Salty Pete

It didn't end soon enough.

I saw so much cheating and scripting on Sonoma that I refused to ToT after the first day. I was not willing to have my character associated with crap like that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just because you play on a shard full of cheaters, does not mean I do.

W

Warrior of Time

You are one of the few that appreciate the skill for what it is. I had as much fun Trick or Treating as I do during the year or more. The only diff. is the BooM. I know what others did and why but I don't even think about the things I can't control. I ended up with over 6,000 of each of the stackables alone. That don't even count all the tricks. I had fun doing it too. Some wanted to do other events and that is fine. I did what I like and do all year long. Enjoy begging. I even have a macro to say Thank You to each NPC. It is just a tap of a macro. Reminds me of the Kids.

Now it is back to the things we get during the year. Looking for Saki. I even tryed fishing this year. That also takes time. I got so much fish I got my ferret out and I didn't need to carry it, cut it into fish stakes and he ate everyone I got with not a single complaint.

I hope they give us more reason for those that made beggars to use them during the year.
I like the idea of beggars being the first to wonder around the towns bringing them back to life. Right now the only ones that come to town are the crafters to get and do bods. Adding things that are NPC only will bring them back. Getting as much as they need at one time will actually increase the NEED to come to town if it is something that people needs. Not a craft item, but one that warriors Want and Need. I needs to be something that they can just hop in and back out so it is not a drag getting it. Needs to not cost alot so people don't mind the cost and new chars can get. It will also be a gold sink since the NPC is selling it.

Yup keep adding nice things that everyone wants and you keep people begging all year long.

Keep people wanting the Begging skill. Keep the timer too. Macroing begging is no diff than people useing a golem. I say use them both if it helps keep the game going.

If you want to give people a reason to be a smith, or tailor. Do the same for the lowly beggar. I say keep the skill alive in UO no matter what people think it is like in RL. My son had to beg for a time till he could get back on his feet again. People also gave him things that everyone wanted and needed too. It was those items that got him going again.

I want nice GM beggar only items like the web. It will give people an incentive.

Walk a mile in a man's shoes. Before you say too much about what it is like to be down on your luck.